Closed

How do I do a rollback to a specific date?

My PC has been ifested with viruses.
Someone told me that I could do a rollback or something??
How do I do this?

Thanks.

OM
6 answers Last reply
More about rollback specific date

    "OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > My PC has been ifested with viruses.
    > Someone told me that I could do a rollback or something??
    > How do I do this?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > OM

    You cannot do a roll-back or restore to get rid of viruses.
    System restore only restores certain key windows files. It does not get rid
    of viruses.
    Since you have no antivirus program on your computer, you should not even be
    connecting to the internet.

    Your irresponsible, inexcusable lack of computer security makes you and your
    computer a threat to everyone else on the internet. Your computer becomes
    infected because you are too cheap, too lazy or too uneducated to install a
    firewall and antivirus scanner. Your computer thus becomes a vehicle to
    infect other computer, everyone in your address book, everyone you chat with
    online, etc.

    This post may seem harsh, and it is meant to be.

    You cannot be issued a drivers license until you have demonstrated a
    knowledge of the rules of the road, and a working knowledge of how to safely
    operate a motor vehicle. Sadly, this is not true for Internet users.

    Until you can educate yourself on the basics of computer security, on the
    value and necessity of a good software firewall, a reputable antivirus
    program that is kept updated, and a diligent effort to ensure that your
    machine is "clean", you should not be allowed anywhere near a computer.

    Owning a computer and becoming a responsible internet user require effort
    and diligence on your part.

    You cannot restore your computer to get rid of viruses. It will not do
    anything at all to remove the damage already done.

    Turn off your computer. Walk away from it. Do not touch it until you have
    educated yourself in basic computer security practices.

    Bobby

    wowzers bobby.
    keep ur knickers on.
    i've got a virus checking program that is updated ALL the time.
    i have a firewall.
    i have anti spam software.
    unfortunately, the pc in question has been used by other people who did
    not know that you shouldn't click on pop up windows.

    instead of having to do a complete reinstall, i just thought i've ask
    about restoring... some person who obviously didn't know what they were
    talking about, told me that this might solve my problem.

    thanks for your time taken to write the reply all the same. : )

    > You cannot do a roll-back or restore to get rid of viruses.
    > System restore only restores certain key windows files. It does not get rid
    > of viruses.
    > Since you have no antivirus program on your computer, you should not even be
    > connecting to the internet.
    >
    > Your irresponsible, inexcusable lack of computer security makes you and your
    > computer a threat to everyone else on the internet. Your computer becomes
    > infected because you are too cheap, too lazy or too uneducated to install a
    > firewall and antivirus scanner. Your computer thus becomes a vehicle to
    > infect other computer, everyone in your address book, everyone you chat with
    > online, etc.
    >
    > This post may seem harsh, and it is meant to be.
    >
    > You cannot be issued a drivers license until you have demonstrated a
    > knowledge of the rules of the road, and a working knowledge of how to safely
    > operate a motor vehicle. Sadly, this is not true for Internet users.
    >
    > Until you can educate yourself on the basics of computer security, on the
    > value and necessity of a good software firewall, a reputable antivirus
    > program that is kept updated, and a diligent effort to ensure that your
    > machine is "clean", you should not be allowed anywhere near a computer.
    >
    > Owning a computer and becoming a responsible internet user require effort
    > and diligence on your part.
    >
    > You cannot restore your computer to get rid of viruses. It will not do
    > anything at all to remove the damage already done.
    >
    > Turn off your computer. Walk away from it. Do not touch it until you have
    > educated yourself in basic computer security practices.
    >
    > Bobby

    Start--> Programs--> Accessories--> System Tools--> System Restore

    Then "restory my computer to an earlier date"
    Then you'll be shown a calander, scroll back to a date when all was fine and
    liik for a bolded number (the bold dates indicat that there is a restore
    point)

    hth
    gerryR

    "gerryR" <gerryRnospam@gerryrnospam.com> wrote in message
    | Start--> Programs--> Accessories--> System Tools--> System Restore
    |
    | Then "restory my computer to an earlier date"
    | Then you'll be shown a calander, scroll back to a date when all was fine
    and
    | liik for a bolded number (the bold dates indicat that there is a restore
    | point)
    |
    | hth
    | gerryR

    FWIW this is unlikely to resolve a virus infection. System Restore monitors
    and replaces a finite set of core system files. It does not return the
    entire system to a previous condition.

    It's common in fact for the System Restore files themselves to "back up" the
    infection. A frequently required step in a complete virus removal is to
    disable System Restore (deleting the restore points/files) and then
    reenable.

    System Restore Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/management/sysrestore_faq.mspx

    If you have identified the virus(s) look for a removal tool or manual
    removal instructions.
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/index.html is always a good place to start.

    If you have not identified the infector make use of one of the many online
    virus scanners and then see above.

    Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

    --
    Doug

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.
  5. Guys is there any way to roll back any particular folder? Any way to find files in particular folder for particular day? Kind of stock...System Restore was off, but I need to get into folder before change.
  6. Not unless you had some sort of backup system.

Support Microsoft Windows XP