Replacing HDD on UK Time Computer

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

I have a UK Time computer (bout 2 years old) and the hard disc needs
replacing.

As my copy of Windows Home XP is on the end of the hard drive, I was
wondering if anyone can give me any advice (particularly if they've
had experience) of installing a new drive & copying XP on to it.

My current HDD is a Seagate one & I haven't yet been able to get their
diagnostic software to give a full report. Bad sectors are being
reported though & I was also wondering what happens if the 'hidden'
copy of XP contains a bad sector?

Hope someone will be able to help :)

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
More about replacing time computer
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    John

    Replace the hdd asap.. re-installing Windows will not fix bad sectors.. it
    just avoids them.. save all important data to CD or some other medium..

    The chances of Time Computers having recovery CDs for your computer is zero,
    most likely.. if you can, go to one of their stores, as calling the
    technical support is expensive.. if you can, find a supplier who will sell
    you a new hard drive and OEM Windows XP SP2 CD..

    Disconnect the present drive, and fit the new one.. install Windows.. once
    up and running, reconnect the old drive as a slave and recover anything you
    might have missed when you saved stuff.. email and address book for
    instance.. before connecting to the internet, ensure that the XP firewall is
    running, then connect and do the updates to Windows and your preferred
    ant-virus and firewall programs..

    Unless Time supplied bundled software on CD, you will lose that.. to make up
    for it, Serif offer some great free downloads at
    http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/ .. they may not be the latest versions,
    but they are all good solid programs.. Open Office is a free office suite..
    it is not exactly MS Office 2003, but gets good enough reviews from some..
    http://www.openoffice.org/product/

    Good luck..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    "John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a UK Time computer (bout 2 years old) and the hard disc needs
    > replacing.
    >
    > As my copy of Windows Home XP is on the end of the hard drive, I was
    > wondering if anyone can give me any advice (particularly if they've
    > had experience) of installing a new drive & copying XP on to it.
    >
    > My current HDD is a Seagate one & I haven't yet been able to get their
    > diagnostic software to give a full report. Bad sectors are being
    > reported though & I was also wondering what happens if the 'hidden'
    > copy of XP contains a bad sector?
    >
    > Hope someone will be able to help :)
    >
    > --
    >
    > John Latter
    >
    > Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
    > homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    > http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
    >
    > 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a UK Time computer (bout 2 years old) and the hard disc needs
    > replacing.
    >
    > As my copy of Windows Home XP is on the end of the hard drive, I was
    > wondering if anyone can give me any advice (particularly if they've
    > had experience) of installing a new drive & copying XP on to it.
    >
    > My current HDD is a Seagate one & I haven't yet been able to get their
    > diagnostic software to give a full report. Bad sectors are being
    > reported though & I was also wondering what happens if the 'hidden'
    > copy of XP contains a bad sector?
    >
    > Hope someone will be able to help :)

    Not got winXP on disk John ?. Got no way of accessing that partition ?.
    And I think you know the answer to `bad sectors` in hidden partition. If
    it`s `duff` it`s definitely `duff`. ..J

    John Latter Wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a UK Time computer (bout 2 years old) and the hard disc needs
    > replacing.
    >
    > As my copy of Windows Home XP is on the end of the hard drive, I was
    > wondering if anyone can give me any advice (particularly if they've
    > had experience) of installing a new drive & copying XP on to it.
    >
    > My current HDD is a Seagate one & I haven't yet been able to get their
    > diagnostic software to give a full report. Bad sectors are being
    > reported though & I was also wondering what happens if the 'hidden'
    > copy of XP contains a bad sector?
    >
    > Hope someone will be able to help :)
    >
    > --
    >
    > John Latter
    >
    > Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
    > homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    > http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
    >
    > 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech

    You must have an OEM version of windows, in other words it was pre
    installed and your only reinstall copy is on your hard drive. Correct?
    Some times sectors can wear out and a fresh install can correct this
    problem, it doesn't mean your hard drive is bad but precaution is good.
    Back up anything important to disk or another hd, or whatever you
    choose, this should be your first step.
    2. Another thing is, yes, it is possible that the copy of windows is
    corrupt. I have seen this many times and had to order the reinstall
    disks from the company for people. I truly hate the copy being put on
    the hd for reasons as your own. Try calling the manufacturer if
    possible and ask about getting the reinstallation disks. Even when out
    of warranty, not always, but sometimes they will still send the disks
    if you tell them the copy is corrupt on the hd. This is a good idea
    even if not corrupt, believe me.
    3. The reinstall disks will work on another hd, usually, but not if you
    replaced your motherboard. Just a bit of info there.
    4. I have had some success in putting in an extra hd, and copying the
    windows hidden to it but no guarantees. Have you tried to run any fix
    utilities? Even windowsxp volume check?
    5. There are many other steps that can be taken but try a few simple
    things first.

    --
    PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    To test the hard drive you need a free copy of the SeaTools CD from
    http://seatools.seagatestorage.com/en
    It might be worth asking Seagate if they can replace the drive under
    warranty if the test shows that there is a defect. They currently offer a
    five year warranty http://5yrwarranty.seagatestorage.com/ although this
    might not apply to an OEM drive or drive sold two years ago etc.
    "John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a UK Time computer (bout 2 years old) and the hard disc needs
    > replacing.
    >
    > As my copy of Windows Home XP is on the end of the hard drive, I was
    > wondering if anyone can give me any advice (particularly if they've
    > had experience) of installing a new drive & copying XP on to it.
    >
    > My current HDD is a Seagate one & I haven't yet been able to get their
    > diagnostic software to give a full report. Bad sectors are being
    > reported though & I was also wondering what happens if the 'hidden'
    > copy of XP contains a bad sector?
    >
    > Hope someone will be able to help :)
    >
    > --
    >
    > John Latter
    >
    > Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
    > homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    > http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
    >
    > 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:43:59 GMT, "old jon"
    <jonbrookes@nospamntlworld.com> wrote:

    >"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a UK Time computer (bout 2 years old) and the hard disc needs
    >> replacing.
    >>
    >> As my copy of Windows Home XP is on the end of the hard drive, I was
    >> wondering if anyone can give me any advice (particularly if they've
    >> had experience) of installing a new drive & copying XP on to it.
    >>
    >> My current HDD is a Seagate one & I haven't yet been able to get their
    >> diagnostic software to give a full report. Bad sectors are being
    >> reported though & I was also wondering what happens if the 'hidden'
    >> copy of XP contains a bad sector?
    >>
    >> Hope someone will be able to help :)
    >>
    >Not got winXP on disk John ?. Got no way of accessing that partition ?.
    >And I think you know the answer to `bad sectors` in hidden partition. If
    >it`s `duff` it`s definitely `duff`. ..J

    Nope, the XP is on the end of the HDD. Thought I might try copying the
    hidden partition across to a new HDD first to try & avoid buying XP
    again - I am so poor! :)

    >> John Latter
    >>
    >> Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
    >> homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    >> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
    >>
    >> 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
    >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech

    --

    John Latter

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

    'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:58:44 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
    <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >John
    >
    >Replace the hdd asap.. re-installing Windows will not fix bad sectors.. it
    >just avoids them.. save all important data to CD or some other medium..
    >
    >The chances of Time Computers having recovery CDs for your computer is zero,
    >most likely.. if you can, go to one of their stores, as calling the
    >technical support is expensive.. if you can, find a supplier who will sell
    >you a new hard drive and OEM Windows XP SP2 CD..
    >
    >Disconnect the present drive, and fit the new one.. install Windows.. once
    >up and running, reconnect the old drive as a slave and recover anything you
    >might have missed when you saved stuff.. email and address book for
    >instance.. before connecting to the internet, ensure that the XP firewall is
    >running, then connect and do the updates to Windows and your preferred
    >ant-virus and firewall programs..
    >
    >Unless Time supplied bundled software on CD, you will lose that.. to make up
    >for it, Serif offer some great free downloads at
    >http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/ .. they may not be the latest versions,
    >but they are all good solid programs.. Open Office is a free office suite..
    >it is not exactly MS Office 2003, but gets good enough reviews from some..
    >http://www.openoffice.org/product/
    >
    >Good luck..

    Thanks for the info & advice Mike - Time didn't supply much in the way
    of software so I'm already using quite a bit of free/open source stuff
    - thanks for the link though!

    --

    John Latter

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

    'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    John

    I noticed that they were not giving too much away on their website..
    cheapskates is what they are.. :-)

    --

    > On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:58:44 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
    > <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:
    >
    >>John
    >>
    >>Replace the hdd asap.. re-installing Windows will not fix bad sectors.. it
    >>just avoids them.. save all important data to CD or some other medium..
    >>
    >>The chances of Time Computers having recovery CDs for your computer is
    >>zero,
    >>most likely.. if you can, go to one of their stores, as calling the
    >>technical support is expensive.. if you can, find a supplier who will sell
    >>you a new hard drive and OEM Windows XP SP2 CD..
    >>
    >>Disconnect the present drive, and fit the new one.. install Windows.. once
    >>up and running, reconnect the old drive as a slave and recover anything
    >>you
    >>might have missed when you saved stuff.. email and address book for
    >>instance.. before connecting to the internet, ensure that the XP firewall
    >>is
    >>running, then connect and do the updates to Windows and your preferred
    >>ant-virus and firewall programs..
    >>
    >>Unless Time supplied bundled software on CD, you will lose that.. to make
    >>up
    >>for it, Serif offer some great free downloads at
    >>http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/ .. they may not be the latest versions,
    >>but they are all good solid programs.. Open Office is a free office
    >>suite..
    >>it is not exactly MS Office 2003, but gets good enough reviews from some..
    >>http://www.openoffice.org/product/
    >>
    >>Good luck..
    >
    > Thanks for the info & advice Mike - Time didn't supply much in the way
    > of software so I'm already using quite a bit of free/open source stuff
    > - thanks for the link though!
    >
    > --
    >
    > John Latter
    >
    > Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
    > homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    > http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
    >
    > 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:27:30 +0100, "M" <spamtrap@spambouncer.org>
    wrote:

    >To test the hard drive you need a free copy of the SeaTools CD from
    >http://seatools.seagatestorage.com/en
    >It might be worth asking Seagate if they can replace the drive under
    >warranty if the test shows that there is a defect. They currently offer a
    >five year warranty http://5yrwarranty.seagatestorage.com/ although this
    >might not apply to an OEM drive or drive sold two years ago etc.

    I'm having trouble getting the SeaTools full check to run to
    completion, although I am in touch with Seagate tech support about it.

    Seatools quick test fails my HDD & Seagate say theit warranty doesn't
    apply to OEM stuff.

    Oh well - perhaps I'll win the lottery tonight! :)

    Jorolat

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:43:36 +0100, PCDaddy <PCDaddy.1qocsz@> wrote:

    >John Latter Wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a UK Time computer (bout 2 years old) and the hard disc needs
    >> replacing.
    >>
    >> As my copy of Windows Home XP is on the end of the hard drive, I was
    >> wondering if anyone can give me any advice (particularly if they've
    >> had experience) of installing a new drive & copying XP on to it.
    >>
    >> My current HDD is a Seagate one & I haven't yet been able to get their
    >> diagnostic software to give a full report. Bad sectors are being
    >> reported though & I was also wondering what happens if the 'hidden'
    >> copy of XP contains a bad sector?
    >>
    >> Hope someone will be able to help :)
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> John Latter
    >>
    >> Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
    >> homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    >> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
    >>
    >> 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
    >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech
    >
    >You must have an OEM version of windows, in other words it was pre
    >installed and your only reinstall copy is on your hard drive. Correct?
    >Some times sectors can wear out and a fresh install can correct this
    >problem, it doesn't mean your hard drive is bad but precaution is good.
    >Back up anything important to disk or another hd, or whatever you
    >choose, this should be your first step.
    >2. Another thing is, yes, it is possible that the copy of windows is
    >corrupt. I have seen this many times and had to order the reinstall
    >disks from the company for people. I truly hate the copy being put on
    >the hd for reasons as your own. Try calling the manufacturer if
    >possible and ask about getting the reinstallation disks. Even when out
    >of warranty, not always, but sometimes they will still send the disks
    >if you tell them the copy is corrupt on the hd. This is a good idea
    >even if not corrupt, believe me.
    >3. The reinstall disks will work on another hd, usually, but not if you
    >replaced your motherboard. Just a bit of info there.
    >4. I have had some success in putting in an extra hd, and copying the
    >windows hidden to it but no guarantees. Have you tried to run any fix
    >utilities? Even windowsxp volume check?
    >5. There are many other steps that can be taken but try a few simple
    >things first.

    Thanks PCDaddy! I have been on to the nearest Time Computers outlet &
    they've given me a head office number which I'll try as soon as I get
    the chance.

    Thought I might install a new HDD & try copying the XP stuff first (if
    I can find the sectors) and only buy a new version of XP if I have to.

    My current HDD is a 5200rpm 80GB Seagate - will I have any problems
    installing a 7200rpm 120GB drive? (Seagate or otherwise).

    Thanks again,

    Jorolat

    --

    John Latter Wrote:
> [...]
    > >things first.
    >
    > Thanks PCDaddy! I have been on to the nearest Time Computers outlet &
    > they've given me a head office number which I'll try as soon as I get
    > the chance.
    >
    > Thought I might install a new HDD & try copying the XP stuff first (if
    > I can find the sectors) and only buy a new version of XP if I have to.
    >
    > My current HDD is a 5200rpm 80GB Seagate - will I have any problems
    > installing a 7200rpm 120GB drive? (Seagate or otherwise).
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Jorolat
    >
    > --
    >
    > John Latter
    >
    > Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
    > homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    > http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
    >
    > 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
    you are welcome,
    Off the top of my head, no, you "in theory" shouldn't have any
    problems. 7200 is pretty standard and "in theory" once again, and 120
    gig should get recognized. I'd be a liar if I said I had much
    experience with UK time pc. Many times, when you buy a hd from someone
    they can look up the specs for your pc and let you know if it will work
    or not. It won't hurt to ask before purchasing. Hope all goes well. :)

    --
    PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:26:07 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
    <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >John
    >
    >I noticed that they were not giving too much away on their website..
    >cheapskates is what they are.. :-)

    They certainly are! Any technical query is at £1 per minute too -
    though I must admit that this is the very first time I've had a
    problem with my system (3 yrs old in july)

    John

    ps I like your quote :)

    --

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:32:49 +0100, PCDaddy <PCDaddy.1qq44y@> wrote:

    >You have a restore disk that uses the hidden info on the hard drive??
    >Well, we learn something new every day. Perhaps the restore disk will
    >put this hidden info on the hard drive? This would make more sense to
    >me. I would not erase your old hd, install the new one only. Don't
    >connect the old one at all. After you get set up, run the restore disk
    >and see if it reinstalls win for you first on the new hd.

    I've just checked & its actually called a "Reload/Backup" disc which
    came with another CD labelled "System & Driver CD".

    As far as I understand it, the Reload/Backup CD accesses the preloaded
    XP files on the HDD rather than writes them there. Course, I certainly
    could be wrong!

    --

    John Latter

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

    'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:18:47 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
    <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >John
    >
    >To get the best answers to a problem, it is a good idea to put all facts
    >down in one post than gradually over a series of threads.. too many
    >assumptions have to be made if there are few things to go on..

    I apologize for that Mike & I did become aware of it while writing my
    last but one post to PcDaddy.

    The only excuse I have is that when I began I didn't know anything
    beyond "There's a problem on my HDD".

    Its only because of the replies I've received from helpful people like
    yourself that I've been able to learn as I go along.

    Next time I'll be better able to express all the parameters of the
    problem - I'm sorry you've been part of my learning curve but I do
    very much appreciate the help you've given.

    --

    John Latter

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

    'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    John

    Replace the hdd asap.. re-installing Windows will not fix bad sectors..
    it
    just avoids them.. save all important data to CD or some other
    medium..

    No it won't actually repair them, but a lot of times, you may not get
    bad sectors for a long period of time and the hd is usable and the
    basic problem is patched\fixed\ignored. I have a 6 year old maxtor 80
    gig that had this problem twice and it still runs like a charm. I
    simply back my data , which should be done anyway.

    The chances of Time Computers having recovery CDs for your computer is
    zero,
    most likely.. if you can, go to one of their stores, as calling the
    technical support is expensive.. if you can, find a supplier who will
    sell
    you a new hard drive and OEM Windows XP SP2 CD..

    There is a three year extended warranty and you get charged according
    to your policy when you bought the pc. If the op has his, he might
    still be under warranty and might get free calls.

    Disconnect the present drive, and fit the new one.. install Windows..
    once
    up and running, reconnect the old drive as a slave and recover anything
    you
    might have missed when you saved stuff.. email and address book for
    instance.. before connecting to the internet, ensure that the XP
    firewall is
    running, then connect and do the updates to Windows and your preferred
    ant-virus and firewall programs..

    Fit the new one? That might be jumping the gun a bit, the op doesn't
    even know what to get yet. The op doesn't know if he can install
    windows..eg, hidden windows files, try to copy to another hard drive.

    Unless Time supplied bundled software on CD, you will lose that.. to
    make up
    for it, Serif offer some great free downloads at
    http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/ .. they may not be the latest
    versions,
    but they are all good solid programs.. Open Office is a free office
    suite..
    it is not exactly MS Office 2003, but gets good enough reviews from
    some..
    http://www.openoffice.org/product/

    Good solid programs as long as you agree for them to send your info to
    other places and send you junk mail. If you don't mind that then yes.

    Good luck..

    --
    Mike Hall

    --
    PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    PCDaddy

    Win 9x/ME could cope with bad sectors.. XP is not so forgiving.. more bad
    sectors will appear eventually, and the system will become more unstable.. I
    can't see the point in waiting for the inevitable, regardless of backup
    policy..

    Time Computers do offer a three year extended warranty with new purchases,
    but I doubt very much that it covers old recovery CDs and certainly will NOT
    include free calls to Technical Support.. I suggested to John that he calls
    into one of their salesrooms for confirmation..

    Re replacing drives.. you go to a store and buy one according to your needs
    and means.. if the store can supply an OEM XP CD with the purchase of
    hardware, that gets over the problem of trying to move the contents of a
    hidden partition to a similar partition on a new drive.. if means will
    stretch to a full retail XP, all the better as it would be easily
    transferable from one computer to another in the future..

    As far as I know, Serif's policy of allowing older versions to be downloaded
    freely is a marketing ploy to get the user to upgrade to latest versions
    once having seen how good the product is.. that does not take anything away
    from the free programs.. I have not received e-mail from any company as a
    result of downloading free programs from Serif.. I have never had need to
    download OpenOffice, but have never heard of any unsolicited mail arriving
    due to downloading it..

    --

    "PCDaddy" <PCDaddy.1qr48y@> wrote in message

    > John
    >
    > Replace the hdd asap.. re-installing Windows will not fix bad sectors..
    > it
    > just avoids them.. save all important data to CD or some other
    > medium..
    >
    > No it won't actually repair them, but a lot of times, you may not get
    > bad sectors for a long period of time and the hd is usable and the
    > basic problem is patched\fixed\ignored. I have a 6 year old maxtor 80
    > gig that had this problem twice and it still runs like a charm. I
    > simply back my data , which should be done anyway.
    >
    > The chances of Time Computers having recovery CDs for your computer is
    > zero,
    > most likely.. if you can, go to one of their stores, as calling the
    > technical support is expensive.. if you can, find a supplier who will
    > sell
    > you a new hard drive and OEM Windows XP SP2 CD..
    >

    > There is a three year extended warranty and you get charged according
    > to your policy when you bought the pc. If the op has his, he might
    > still be under warranty and might get free calls.
    >
    > Disconnect the present drive, and fit the new one.. install Windows..
    > once
    > up and running, reconnect the old drive as a slave and recover anything
    > you
    > might have missed when you saved stuff.. email and address book for
    > instance.. before connecting to the internet, ensure that the XP
    > firewall is
    > running, then connect and do the updates to Windows and your preferred
    > ant-virus and firewall programs..
    >
    > Fit the new one? That might be jumping the gun a bit, the op doesn't
    > even know what to get yet. The op doesn't know if he can install
    > windows..eg, hidden windows files, try to copy to another hard drive.
    >
    > Unless Time supplied bundled software on CD, you will lose that.. to
    > make up
    > for it, Serif offer some great free downloads at
    > http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/ .. they may not be the latest
    > versions,
    > but they are all good solid programs.. Open Office is a free office
    > suite..
    > it is not exactly MS Office 2003, but gets good enough reviews from
    > some..
    > http://www.openoffice.org/product/
    >
    > Good solid programs as long as you agree for them to send your info to
    > other places and send you junk mail. If you don't mind that then yes.
    >
    > Good luck..
    >

    > --
    > Mike Hall
    >

    > --
    > PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 00:49:33 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
    <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >PCDaddy
    >
    >Win 9x/ME could cope with bad sectors.. XP is not so forgiving.. more bad
    >sectors will appear eventually, and the system will become more unstable.. I
    >can't see the point in waiting for the inevitable, regardless of backup
    >policy..
    >
    >Time Computers do offer a three year extended warranty with new purchases,
    >but I doubt very much that it covers old recovery CDs and certainly will NOT
    >include free calls to Technical Support.. I suggested to John that he calls
    >into one of their salesrooms for confirmation..
    >
    >Re replacing drives.. you go to a store and buy one according to your needs
    >and means.. if the store can supply an OEM XP CD with the purchase of
    >hardware, that gets over the problem of trying to move the contents of a
    >hidden partition to a similar partition on a new drive.. if means will
    >stretch to a full retail XP, all the better as it would be easily
    >transferable from one computer to another in the future..

    Thanks Mike, from what I've read elsewhere Microsoft UK may be quite
    sympathetic & allow me to borrow a copy of XP Home - I'm going to call
    them on monday

    John

    --

    John Latter

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

    'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Thankyou for the advice PCDaddy - its very much appreciated :)

    I won't be able to do anything until next week at the very earliest
    but I'll probably be screaming out for help if things go wrong!

    John

    --

    John Latter

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

    'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

Hardware Windows XP Computers Microsoft Hard Drives