Interview w/ Pac-Man creator Toru Iwatani

Hey guys,
Just ran across this article... some of you have probably already seen
it, but I found it a pretty interesting (albeit, short) read so I
thought I'd share.

Fascinating to learn that the inventor of Pac-Man is not wealthy at
all.

Later,
Rob
10 answers Last reply
More about interview creator toru iwatani

    Good read, thanks for posting that Rob. It's too bad they didn't throw
    that guy more of a bone for creating the flagship of their product
    line. His story is similar to the Russian that created the Tetris
    concept.

    Mike DoyIe

    Rob Carroll wrote:
    > Hey guys,
    > Just ran across this article... some of you have probably already seen
    > it, but I found it a pretty interesting (albeit, short) read so I
    > thought I'd share.
    >
    > http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-1718312,00.html
    >
    > Fascinating to learn that the inventor of Pac-Man is not wealthy at
    > all.
    >
    > Later,
    > Rob

    Urghhhhhh.. Now that is crazy. Billions of dollars being made by
    everyone but the creator. Hey....... He should have made a copywright
    and today he could have been living in a mansion with tons of money.
    I'd have a big pacman carved in marble in my entry foyer as you walked
    in.

    John

    Now if only all the operators out there would send the guy one out of
    every 100 quarters they earned from their Pacman machines... How about
    everybody send NAMCO an email saying that the guy should get some kind
    of bonus or 'gift'... or call them with Your thoughts on the matter,
    here is their U.S. phone number:(408) 235-2000

    That's not a terrible idea.

    > Good read, thanks for posting that Rob. It's too bad they didn't throw
    > that guy more of a bone for creating the flagship of their product
    > line. His story is similar to the Russian that created the Tetris
    > concept.

    Myself and every other engineer I know basically has to sign their creative rights
    ("intellectual property") away the day they walk in the door. I even had to do it
    in grad school of all places. About the only way around it is to sue your employer
    once the market value of your IP has been established (and it becomes worth it to
    bite the hand that feeds you):

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13899

    At least this guy got originally $190, which is more than I've gotten for my last three patents
    *combined*. One place I worked was supposed to give me $1 "in compensation" for each
    patent, and I never even got that! They gave out $0.25 pens instead (which were apparently
    the full compensation), without so much as an "attaboy". That folks, is reason #439 why it's
    better to own the company than work for it...

    Alex
    ----
    ayeckley@elektronforge.com
    www.elektronforge.com

    Okay guys, here's the deal.

    It is customary for Japanese buisnesses to give small bonuses twice a year.
    Even if you are the creator of something that literally changed the world,
    you don' t get a bonus for doing your work. They look at it like "why should
    we pay you millions for doing the job you were hired to do in the first
    place?".

    Now if he were in the USA, he could've had kept all the rights to the game
    and earned royalties from Bally/Midway and Namco. But unfortunately,
    Japanese custom was just not on his side. but don't feel too bad for Toru,
    he got bumped up to management of Namco's R&D division. So it evened out, in
    a way. But if you ask me, he still should've gotten WAAAAAAY more than a
    $3500 bonus.

    And if you guys think Iwatani-san got screwed, check out the story of
    Yoshiki Okamato - the guy who came up with Time Pilot and Gyruss! That guy
    got shafted several times over...

    "Rob Carroll" <robert.carroll30@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > That's not a terrible idea.

  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Michael R. Mattox wrote:
    > Now if he were in the USA, he could've had kept all the rights to the game
    > and earned royalties from Bally/Midway and Namco. But unfortunately,
    > Japanese custom was just not on his side. but don't feel too bad for Toru,
    > he got bumped up to management of Namco's R&D division. So it evened out, in
    > a way. But if you ask me, he still should've gotten WAAAAAAY more than a
    > $3500 bonus.

    ???

    Ever heard of Stan Lee?

    Being in the US, working for the man, doesn't guarantee you squat.

    --
    Bret Pehrson
    bret@classicade.com

    Classicade
    http://www.classicade.com
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    :) True... But he probably would've had a better chance of getting some $$
    for basically putting video games on the map. Not to mention royalties! But
    he did get shafted. There's no way I can ever disagree with that. I mean
    really... $3500 for creating a product that still gushes money to this day?
    That's just wrong.

    -MM

  9. Anonymous said:

    Hey guys,
    Just ran across this article... some of you have probably already seen
    it, but I found it a pretty interesting (albeit, short) read so I
    thought I'd share.

    Fascinating to learn that the inventor of Pac-Man is not wealthy at
    all.

    Later,
    Rob
  10. hi there i also found something on the creator of pacman check out muchadooneverything.blogspot.com

Interview Games Video Video Games