Interview w/ Pac-Man creator Toru Iwatani

Last response: in Video Games
August 5, 2005 12:06:45 PM

Hey guys,
Just ran across this article... some of you have probably already seen
it, but I found it a pretty interesting (albeit, short) read so I
thought I'd share.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-1718312,00.ht...

Fascinating to learn that the inventor of Pac-Man is not wealthy at
all.

Later,
Rob
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 12:58:17 PM

Good read, thanks for posting that Rob. It's too bad they didn't throw
that guy more of a bone for creating the flagship of their product
line. His story is similar to the Russian that created the Tetris
concept.

Mike DoyIe
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 12:59:08 PM

Rob Carroll wrote:
> Hey guys,
> Just ran across this article... some of you have probably already seen
> it, but I found it a pretty interesting (albeit, short) read so I
> thought I'd share.
>
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-1718312,00.ht...
>
> Fascinating to learn that the inventor of Pac-Man is not wealthy at
> all.
>
> Later,
> Rob

Urghhhhhh.. Now that is crazy. Billions of dollars being made by
everyone but the creator. Hey....... He should have made a copywright
and today he could have been living in a mansion with tons of money.
I'd have a big pacman carved in marble in my entry foyer as you walked
in.

John
August 5, 2005 4:51:00 PM

Now if only all the operators out there would send the guy one out of
every 100 quarters they earned from their Pacman machines... How about
everybody send NAMCO an email saying that the guy should get some kind
of bonus or 'gift'... or call them with Your thoughts on the matter,
here is their U.S. phone number:( 408) 235-2000
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 5:01:03 PM

That's not a terrible idea.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 8:54:14 PM

> Good read, thanks for posting that Rob. It's too bad they didn't throw
> that guy more of a bone for creating the flagship of their product
> line. His story is similar to the Russian that created the Tetris
> concept.

Myself and every other engineer I know basically has to sign their creative rights
("intellectual property") away the day they walk in the door. I even had to do it
in grad school of all places. About the only way around it is to sue your employer
once the market value of your IP has been established (and it becomes worth it to
bite the hand that feeds you):

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13899

At least this guy got originally $190, which is more than I've gotten for my last three patents
*combined*. One place I worked was supposed to give me $1 "in compensation" for each
patent, and I never even got that! They gave out $0.25 pens instead (which were apparently
the full compensation), without so much as an "attaboy". That folks, is reason #439 why it's
better to own the company than work for it...

Alex
----
ayeckley@elektronforge.com
www.elektronforge.com
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 1:34:14 AM

Okay guys, here's the deal.

It is customary for Japanese buisnesses to give small bonuses twice a year.
Even if you are the creator of something that literally changed the world,
you don' t get a bonus for doing your work. They look at it like "why should
we pay you millions for doing the job you were hired to do in the first
place?".

Now if he were in the USA, he could've had kept all the rights to the game
and earned royalties from Bally/Midway and Namco. But unfortunately,
Japanese custom was just not on his side. but don't feel too bad for Toru,
he got bumped up to management of Namco's R&D division. So it evened out, in
a way. But if you ask me, he still should've gotten WAAAAAAY more than a
$3500 bonus.

And if you guys think Iwatani-san got screwed, check out the story of
Yoshiki Okamato - the guy who came up with Time Pilot and Gyruss! That guy
got shafted several times over...

"Rob Carroll" <robert.carroll30@verizon.net> wrote in message
> That's not a terrible idea.

Anonymous
August 6, 2005 1:34:15 AM

Michael R. Mattox wrote:
> Now if he were in the USA, he could've had kept all the rights to the game
> and earned royalties from Bally/Midway and Namco. But unfortunately,
> Japanese custom was just not on his side. but don't feel too bad for Toru,
> he got bumped up to management of Namco's R&D division. So it evened out, in
> a way. But if you ask me, he still should've gotten WAAAAAAY more than a
> $3500 bonus.

???

Ever heard of Stan Lee?

Being in the US, working for the man, doesn't guarantee you squat.

--
Bret Pehrson
bret@classicade.com

Classicade
http://www.classicade.com
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 3:29:37 AM

:)  True... But he probably would've had a better chance of getting some $$
for basically putting video games on the map. Not to mention royalties! But
he did get shafted. There's no way I can ever disagree with that. I mean
really... $3500 for creating a product that still gushes money to this day?
That's just wrong.

-MM

!