Tech: Rotary Joysticks

Hi

How do i connect a Rotary Joystick to Heavy Barrel ? I have the pinout for
the pcb but i cant understand it :( There is a connector with 13 pins
markt 1 Gnd, 2 -13 input on the schematic, but on the stick there is 4
microswitches and a connector on a little pcb with 4 pins.

Please help ;)

/Hans

Hans Johansson <videogamespam@comhem.se> wrote:
: Hi
:
: How do i connect a Rotary Joystick to Heavy Barrel ? I have the pinout for
: the pcb but i cant understand it :( There is a connector with 13 pins
: markt 1 Gnd, 2 -13 input on the schematic, but on the stick there is 4
: microswitches and a connector on a little pcb with 4 pins.

The 4-pin connector goes to the normal up/down/left/right on the jamma
connector, and the 12-position rotary goes to the 13-pin connector.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

"Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> skrev i meddelandet
> Hans Johansson <videogamespam@comhem.se> wrote:
> : Hi
> :
> : How do i connect a Rotary Joystick to Heavy Barrel ? I have the pinout
> for
> : the pcb but i cant understand it :( There is a connector with 13 pins
> : markt 1 Gnd, 2 -13 input on the schematic, but on the stick there is 4
> : microswitches and a connector on a little pcb with 4 pins.
>
> The 4-pin connector goes to the normal up/down/left/right on the jamma
> connector, and the 12-position rotary goes to the 13-pin connector.

Thanks Mark

But, how is this possible? I have a little pcb with 4 pins and a opto, there
is a little wheel spinning (How can this give directions for up,down and so
on. And there is only 4 microswitches, where do i put the 12 cables?

Sorry if i sound stupid ;)

/Hans

You have the wrong style rotary stick. You need an "IKARI" style
(12 position rotary switch), not an optical.

Matt

"Hans Johansson" <videogamespam@comhem.se> wrote in message news:_FNIe.30859$d5.183892@newsb.telia.net...

> "Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> skrev i meddelandet news:42f3a4a3$0$580$b45e6eb0@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu...
>> Hans Johansson <videogamespam@comhem.se> wrote:
>> : Hi
>> :
>> : How do i connect a Rotary Joystick to Heavy Barrel ? I have the pinout for
>> : the pcb but i cant understand it :( There is a connector with 13 pins
>> : markt 1 Gnd, 2 -13 input on the schematic, but on the stick there is 4
>> : microswitches and a connector on a little pcb with 4 pins.
>>
>> The 4-pin connector goes to the normal up/down/left/right on the jamma
>> connector, and the 12-position rotary goes to the 13-pin connector.
>
> Thanks Mark
>
> But, how is this possible? I have a little pcb with 4 pins and a opto, there is a little wheel spinning (How can this give
> directions for up,down and so on. And there is only 4 microswitches, where do i put the 12 cables?
>
> Sorry if i sound stupid ;)
>
> /Hans

Hans Johansson <videogamespam@comhem.se> wrote:
:
: "Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> skrev i meddelandet
: news:42f3a4a3$0$580$b45e6eb0@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu...
:> Hans Johansson <videogamespam@comhem.se> wrote:
:> : Hi
:> :
:> : How do i connect a Rotary Joystick to Heavy Barrel ? I have the pinout
:> for
:> : the pcb but i cant understand it :( There is a connector with 13 pins
:> : markt 1 Gnd, 2 -13 input on the schematic, but on the stick there is 4
:> : microswitches and a connector on a little pcb with 4 pins.
:>
:> The 4-pin connector goes to the normal up/down/left/right on the jamma
:> connector, and the 12-position rotary goes to the 13-pin connector.
:
: Thanks Mark
:
: But, how is this possible? I have a little pcb with 4 pins and a opto, there
: is a little wheel spinning (How can this give directions for up,down and so
: on. And there is only 4 microswitches, where do i put the 12 cables?
:
: Sorry if i sound stupid ;)

You sure you've got the right controller?

If you've just got the 4 switches, it's probably the 8-way rotary controller
from frontline/wild western. Heavy barrel rotary sticks are normal joysticks with an extra board on the bottom to sense the 12 rotation positions.

--

> Hans Johansson <videogamespam@comhem.se> wrote:
> :
> : "Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> skrev i meddelandet
> : news:42f3a4a3$0$580$b45e6eb0@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu...
> :> Hans Johansson <videogamespam@comhem.se> wrote:
> :> : Hi
> :> :
> :> : How do i connect a Rotary Joystick to Heavy Barrel ? I have the
> pinout
> :> for
> :> : the pcb but i cant understand it :( There is a connector with 13
> pins
> :> : markt 1 Gnd, 2 -13 input on the schematic, but on the stick there is
> 4
> :> : microswitches and a connector on a little pcb with 4 pins.
> :>
> :> The 4-pin connector goes to the normal up/down/left/right on the jamma
> :> connector, and the 12-position rotary goes to the 13-pin connector.
> :
> : Thanks Mark
> :
> : But, how is this possible? I have a little pcb with 4 pins and a opto,
> there
> : is a little wheel spinning (How can this give directions for up,down and
> so
> : on. And there is only 4 microswitches, where do i put the 12 cables?
> :
> : Sorry if i sound stupid ;)
>
> You sure you've got the right controller?
>
> If you've just got the 4 switches, it's probably the 8-way rotary
> controller
> from frontline/wild western. Heavy barrel rotary sticks are normal
> joysticks with an extra board on the bottom to sense the 12 rotation
> positions.

Ok, so i have the wrong one then :( What game can i use my rotary with?
Pics: http://web.telia.com/~u41307832/rotary.htm

Do you now where i can find techinfo about this joysticks on the web, i cant
find any or werry little

Thanks/
Hans