Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Booting Up problem:

Tags:
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
June 15, 2005 11:26:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hello there

Recently, I have noticed that when I switch on my computer I am not
automatically taken to my log-in screen (Windows XP). Instead, what happens
is that a DOS screen appears and prompts me to 'return to safe mode' or
'select safe configuration' or something similiar. Does anyone know why it is
doing this and whether there is anything I can do do fix the problem>

Many thanks
Mili

More about : booting problem

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:04:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Try this...
Click Start |Click Run | Type: msconfig | Click OK |
Click on Boot.ini tab | UNCheck: ? /SAFEBOOT |
When you see the prompt to restart the computer |
Click Restart

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:88845E49-6432-43FD-8201-FEA5D4F9AEF5@microsoft.com,
Millie <Millie@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hello there
>
> Recently, I have noticed that when I switch on my computer I am not
> automatically taken to my log-in screen (Windows XP). Instead, what
> happens is that a DOS screen appears and prompts me to 'return to safe
> mode' or 'select safe configuration' or something similiar. Does anyone
> know why it is doing this and whether there is anything I can do do fix
> the problem>
>
> Many thanks
> Mili
June 17, 2005 4:33:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Wesley

Well, I did all of the below but when I got to UNCheck etc. there wasn't any
tick in the box for me to uncheck (if that's what I was supposed to do).
Anyway, I restarted my computer and I've rebooted a couple of times since and
it hasn't happened again. So, it must have done the trick!

Thanks again. Btw, can you tell me what the problem was and what might have
caused it? I want to know if there's anything I did.
Millie

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Try this...
> Click Start |Click Run | Type: msconfig | Click OK |
> Click on Boot.ini tab | UNCheck: Â? /SAFEBOOT |
> When you see the prompt to restart the computer |
> Click Restart
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:88845E49-6432-43FD-8201-FEA5D4F9AEF5@microsoft.com,
> Millie <Millie@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Hello there
> >
> > Recently, I have noticed that when I switch on my computer I am not
> > automatically taken to my log-in screen (Windows XP). Instead, what
> > happens is that a DOS screen appears and prompts me to 'return to safe
> > mode' or 'select safe configuration' or something similiar. Does anyone
> > know why it is doing this and whether there is anything I can do do fix
> > the problem>
> >
> > Many thanks
> > Mili
>
>
!