Do I need Win98 SE or will original 98 work?

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello, I am running a laptop with Win98 (the original, not 98SE) and I
would like to buy a Netgear PC card, such as the MA521 or the WG511.
Is there any way to get these to work on 98? The requirements say
98SE, but I was wondering if there was some way. If not, can someone
recommend a decent, cheap PC card that WILL work on 98?

Thanks for your help,
Aaron

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi Aaron

I also am running a IBM thinkpad w/ the original Win98 and it works with
both my Netgear 511T card as well as my Dlink DWL-650+ card.The Dlink is a
little flakey when the Laptop comes out of sleep mode (I have to pop it out
of the slot, re-insert it, wait for it to show up, STOP it, then eject it
and re-insert it again - I know it sounds like a lot, but it only takes a
few seconds - definitely quicker than rebooting each time).

The netgear 511T works flawlessly though!

Aaron
Atlanta, GA

"aaron" <ari11210@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I am running a laptop with Win98 (the original, not 98SE) and I
> would like to buy a Netgear PC card, such as the MA521 or the WG511.
> Is there any way to get these to work on 98? The requirements say
> 98SE, but I was wondering if there was some way. If not, can someone
> recommend a decent, cheap PC card that WILL work on 98?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Aaron

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Too late, thanks anyway. I just bought the Microsoft card and router
(MN-520 and MN-500) because it was the only card that I found that
advertised that it worked on Win98, all others said they needed
Win98SE. Thanks for the info though, if my MS card doesnt work I'll
try the NetGear 511.

Thanks
Aaron