Program Menu Very Slow to Load Up

When I click on my Start menu and move the cursor to the Program selection,
it takes 1-2 minutes for the Program Menu to appear on my desktop. I checked
the registry for the timing, and it is already set at 400 as per instructions
from another thread. What could be causing this delay and what can I do
about it?
Thanks in advance for the valuable service you provide.
3 answers Last reply
More about program menu slow load

    It could be your antivirus software. I used all the Symantec removal
    programs for totally getting rid of Norton Internet Security and that worked
    for me. Programs load really fast now. I did get another Antivirus Program
    and lost a little speed but nothing like Norton's loss.
    --
    pfos

    "kmh2078" wrote:

    > When I click on my Start menu and move the cursor to the Program selection,
    > it takes 1-2 minutes for the Program Menu to appear on my desktop. I checked
    > the registry for the timing, and it is already set at 400 as per instructions
    > from another thread. What could be causing this delay and what can I do
    > about it?
    > Thanks in advance for the valuable service you provide.

    Also look at disk fragmentation and free disk space.

    "kmh2078" <kmh2078@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I click on my Start menu and move the cursor to the Program
    > selection,
    > it takes 1-2 minutes for the Program Menu to appear on my desktop. I
    > checked
    > the registry for the timing, and it is already set at 400 as per
    > instructions
    > from another thread. What could be causing this delay and what can I do
    > about it?
    > Thanks in advance for the valuable service you provide.

    Thank you both for responding. I've already done defrag, etc. (although it
    takes forever to get to them since I have to wait for the program menu to
    show up to be able to get to the System options). I may not have been clear
    - it's not the programs themselves that take long to load, it's the menu
    itself that lists all the programs for me to choose from. This has been a
    problem for a number of months; my "work-around" is to put the icons for
    those programs I use frequently directly onto my desktop, but it's
    particularly annoying when I want to access a program that I can only get to
    through the Program menu on my Start menu (or access it through My Computer/C
    Drive/Programs/etc - you get the picture).
    Any other suggestions? Thanks again!

    "Paul Vasquez" wrote:

    > Also look at disk fragmentation and free disk space.
    >

    > "kmh2078" <kmh2078@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I click on my Start menu and move the cursor to the Program
    > > selection,
    > > it takes 1-2 minutes for the Program Menu to appear on my desktop. I
    > > checked
    > > the registry for the timing, and it is already set at 400 as per
    > > instructions
    > > from another thread. What could be causing this delay and what can I do
    > > about it?
    > > Thanks in advance for the valuable service you provide.

Windows XP