Can my stock Dell PSU run an AGP 6600GT?

ChuChuX5

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2005
This is what it says on my 250W Dell stock PSU.

"Input: 100-120 /6A 50-60Hz
200-240 /4A 50-60Hz

Output: +5V /22A MAX -12V /1A MAX
+5V(FP)/2A MAX +3.3V /18A MAX
+12V /14A MAX
Combined= +3.3V & 5V shall not exceed 150W
Total shall not exceed 250W"

I've even heard that Dell said that their PSUs are 305-345W actually instead of what they list.

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Short answer, Best not to try.

long answer, it's possible you might be able to run it, but your power supply could be pushed beyond the continious load line, and pushing near maximum load, if your psu is anywhere near maximum load, it'll die very very soon.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh yes, it should work fine. Dell power supplies are high quality, I'm fairly certain they're rated at continuous load rather than peak output, and you'll likely experience instability before any major problems occur. So it's worth a try.

I've never had a good power supply fry other components, not even when it failed. I have repaired several systems that had cheap power supplies fail allong with a cascade of damage, but you have a good power supply so like I said, I'd try it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
14A x 12v = 168W. I've never heard of the 6800GT going over 80W, let alone the 6600GT. Like I've said, I'd try it, and replace it only if it doesn't work.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ChuChuX5

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2005
Ok, if that's the case concerning amperage and PSU, why does my PSU still say it's 250W? Is it those other voltage and amperes? Also, is this site reliable?

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

I got 254W with this setup...
- Intel P4 Socket 478 Northwood 533FSB (even though mine is 400FSB but they don't have that option listed) 64W
- nVidia GeForce 6800 AGP 4X/8X (I'm going for 6600GT but it's not listed) 49W
- Two Pair Rambus RDRAM 20W
- DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive 30W
- Linksys Wireless-B USB Adapter 5W

If I take off 5W from my non-existant floppy drive, I'd have 249W. Now that's running pretty rough considering my PSU is 250W, even if Dell says that is the mean average and 345 (361 says one expert on the Dimension 8200) is the peak. So would that make around 300W stable?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
250...254...you know there's more than 4W difference between a 6600GT and 6800.

Yes, Dells are, as far as I know, rated at 100% duty cycle. That means having the system running under full-load all day long. Peak ratings often used by retail power supplies are a gamble...can it sustain that peak for 10 minutes, or only an instant?

You want me to take a guess? Max continous power consumption of 240W while playing a game, roughly 200W power consumption when doing anything else (3D features inactive), for the entire system.

Those numbers from the site look like good estimates for the hardware on the list.

I remember max power for a 6800 card being around 70W, but I think that was the top 6800 Ultra (the special version, whatever it's called) during the heaviest possible graphics load.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Right, Dell power supplies have good enough protection that if you run out of power it will simply shut off, or at worst have a brown out making your computer crash (recoverable).

ChuChuX5

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2005
Funny, one time I was simply running a game that wasn't very heavy on requirements, it was called Arcanum: Of Magick and Obscura. Out of nowhere, my computer shutoff and wouldn't turn on, even when I took out the ATX connector to the motherboard and back in. I called Dell and they told me to do what I just did but to disconnect molex power plugs from devices one by one and try again. It worked...

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
If I remember correctly, the new Dell PSU's are a standard ATX connector. They used to have different pinouts, but I think they are standard now. Anynone confirm this? If thats the case, just get an Antec TruePower 330 watt PSU, and you will have plenty of power for your rig. Better to be safe than sorry.

My System:
<A HREF="http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org" target="_new">http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org</A>

ChuChuX5

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2005
I'm not so much worried about standard ATX compatibility, it's just that I don't want to cut out any metal from my Dimension 8200 to fit a power switch for a non-Dell certified PSU...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Don't we all?

On a more serious note, if I did work for Dell, would I know any of this? When's the last time you've heard of anyone getting an honest answer to a hardware question from Dell tech support?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ah, but Dell says "Those parts won't work because they don't meet our higher quality standards", which is an outright lie. They either work or not, depending on whether the original Dell part is proprietary or standard.

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
Those parts won't work because they don't meet our higher quality standards.
That is ridiculous. A Dell power supply is not higher quality than an Antec, Enermax or definetly NOT a PC Power and Cooling.

My System:
<A HREF="http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org" target="_new">http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually my testing showed a Newton Power (Gateway OEM) power supply put out better voltage under load than an Antec. A Dell 300W power supply is probably as good as a True Power 380W! Dell uses lots of cheap parts, but they don't like doing repairs, hence they actually do use good power supplies.

But the reason putting an ATX power supply into a Dell would blow something up back in the PIII days and earlier was that Dell power supplies were wired differently from standard ATX!

Certainly you're not going to find a Dell that can reach the output levels of a Fortron Source 400W, Antec True Power 430W, or Enermax 460W. BTW, the three power supplies I just mentioned are all comparable to each other in actual output wattage.

Quality be damned, even the Dell 250W power supply can output more than an Antec 300W, Dell simply doesn't offer anything at 400W or more.

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
Nice reply. Hmm...you seem to know a lot about Dell. How about Compaq power supplies? Just wondering, cause my dad has a Compaq that is 250 watts.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Compaq/HP power supplies aren't as durrable as Dell/Gateway power supplies, at least since Compaq and HP have gone to standard parts.

ChuChuX5

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2005
Awesome, I guess I'll get the 6600GT than, even if the amperage isn't too good. And no, I don't work for Dell, I just have one of their comptuers and don't have the capital to build my own or get a new computer...

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
I'm not so much worried about standard ATX compatibility, it's just that I don't want to cut out any metal from my Dimension 8200 to fit a power switch for a non-Dell certified PSU...
I have the same computer and I managed to find the power supply which fits. I belive it is 550W from CompUSA. This is more than enough for your purpose. It costs about $100 though...