"Action Canceled" when attempting to view help pages from ..

Chm files are imbedded in our applications, which are accessed on the server.
When I open the file (which I can do), There's an "Action Canceled" message
where the topics should be. I can see the TOC, and the Index, and those work
- I just can't view the pages themselved.

I just installed XP updates today, so I'm guessing that's what's causing
this - how do I fix it?

Usually, a CHM file error is due to a corrupt 'HH.EXE', Running MSCONFIG.EXE would show you an "Expand File" button, which you could
use to repair HH.EXE

--
Mark L. Ferguson

Blythe Wrote:
> Chm files are imbedded in our applications, which are accessed on the
> server.
> When I open the file (which I can do), There's an "Action Canceled"
> message
> where the topics should be. I can see the TOC, and the Index, and
> those work
> - I just can't view the pages themselved.
>
> I just installed XP updates today, so I'm guessing that's what's
> causing
> this - how do I fix it?

The same thing is happening with our help files stored on a server. A
temporary fix is to copy the file you are trying to access to your
desktop, or anywhere local -- you will then be able to open it. Let me
know if you figure out a permanent fix.

--
kwstroud

We too are getting this error on our CHM files on network drives. Works OK on
local drive.

I believe it is related to a Windows update and not to a corrupt HH.EXE.

Have searched the web high and low and MS knowledgebase but no solution
found yet.

Hopefully someone within Microsoft will let us know what the fix is.

Regards

--
Sentinel7

"Blythe" wrote:

> Chm files are imbedded in our applications, which are accessed on the server.
> When I open the file (which I can do), There's an "Action Canceled" message
> where the topics should be. I can see the TOC, and the Index, and those work
> - I just can't view the pages themselved.
>
> I just installed XP updates today, so I'm guessing that's what's causing
> this - how do I fix it?

Sentinel7,

Recent security update causes this. See:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896905
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892675

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Sentinel7" <Sentinel7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We too are getting this error on our CHM files on network drives. Works OK
> on
> local drive.
>
> I believe it is related to a Windows update and not to a corrupt HH.EXE.
>
> Have searched the web high and low and MS knowledgebase but no solution
> found yet.
>
> Hopefully someone within Microsoft will let us know what the fix is.
>
> Regards
>

> --
> Sentinel7
>

> "Blythe" wrote:
>
>> Chm files are imbedded in our applications, which are accessed on the
>> server.
>> When I open the file (which I can do), There's an "Action Canceled"
>> message
>> where the topics should be. I can see the TOC, and the Index, and those
>> work
>> - I just can't view the pages themselved.
>>
>> I just installed XP updates today, so I'm guessing that's what's causing
>> this - how do I fix it?

Hi,

Thanks for this.

But, we had previously reviewed these 2 kb items. Implemented and still have
same problem. Although kb http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892675 seems to
relate to http urls in the UrlAllowList registry setting. How does one put in
details about UNC paths on our network?

Thanks.
--
Sentinel7

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Sentinel7,
>
> Recent security update causes this. See:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896905
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892675
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Sentinel7" <Sentinel7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We too are getting this error on our CHM files on network drives. Works OK
> > on
> > local drive.
> >
> > I believe it is related to a Windows update and not to a corrupt HH.EXE.
> >
> > Have searched the web high and low and MS knowledgebase but no solution
> > found yet.
> >
> > Hopefully someone within Microsoft will let us know what the fix is.
> >
> > Regards
> >

> > --
> > Sentinel7
> >

> > "Blythe" wrote:
> >
> >> Chm files are imbedded in our applications, which are accessed on the
> >> server.
> >> When I open the file (which I can do), There's an "Action Canceled"
> >> message
> >> where the topics should be. I can see the TOC, and the Index, and those
> >> work
> >> - I just can't view the pages themselved.
> >>
> >> I just installed XP updates today, so I'm guessing that's what's causing
> >> this - how do I fix it?

Hi again,

Finally solved the problem.

Our shares are using DFS, so we connect using a UNC of \\xyz.com.au\Data.
This means that in IE the share is put into the Internet zone by default and
not the Local Intranet zone.

If I change the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\ItssRestrictions\MaxAllowedZone
key to 3 or higher, then the CHM file displays correctly. But this defeats
the purpose of the security update. A better way was to add the site
file://\\xyz.com.au\Data to the Local Intranet zone.

Now it all works.

Relevant KB articles:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896054/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174360/
--
Sentinel7

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Sentinel7,
>
> Recent security update causes this. See:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896905
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892675
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Sentinel7" <Sentinel7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We too are getting this error on our CHM files on network drives. Works OK
> > on
> > local drive.
> >
> > I believe it is related to a Windows update and not to a corrupt HH.EXE.
> >
> > Have searched the web high and low and MS knowledgebase but no solution
> > found yet.
> >
> > Hopefully someone within Microsoft will let us know what the fix is.
> >
> > Regards
> >

> > --
> > Sentinel7
> >

> > "Blythe" wrote:
> >
> >> Chm files are imbedded in our applications, which are accessed on the
> >> server.
> >> When I open the file (which I can do), There's an "Action Canceled"
> >> message
> >> where the topics should be. I can see the TOC, and the Index, and those
> >> work
> >> - I just can't view the pages themselved.
> >>
> >> I just installed XP updates today, so I'm guessing that's what's causing
> >> this - how do I fix it?

Glad you got it working, Sentinel7.