Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Linksys router - best for compatability with Broadcom Wi-Fi?

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Broadcom
  • Linksys
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 9:15:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I learned in a magazine article that Broadcom supplies equipment to Linksys
while a different company supplies D-link and Netgear.

Would this be a good reason to get a Linksys router/access point instead of
a Netgear or D-link model?

For me, security is paramount, ease of use would be nice, and speed is not
that important.

I have a new HP Pavilion ZD7000 with a Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance 802.11g
Wi-Fi netwok adapter.

BudH

More about : linksys router compatability broadcom

Anonymous
April 20, 2004 9:15:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 05:15:54 +0000, BH wrote:

> I learned in a magazine article that Broadcom supplies equipment to Linksys
> while a different company supplies D-link and Netgear.

MANY companies manufacture, distribute, and sell solid, reliable chipsets
for incorporation into WiFi gear.

> Would this be a good reason to get a Linksys router/access point instead of
> a Netgear or D-link model?

That wouldn't be a better reason nor a worse reason to either get or NOT
get that brand of consumer equipment.

> For me, security is paramount, ease of use would be nice, and speed is not
> that important.
>

I almost fell out of my chair LAUGHING at this comment:

A WINDOZ user whose paramount concern is security...........The irony of
that statement will be with me until my dying days!

I have finally read it all in Usenet.....;>)
April 20, 2004 4:21:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

In article <pan.2004.04.20.05.46.40.543354@myrealbox.com>, =?iso-8859-1?q?Valent=EDn_Guill=E9n?= <usenet1@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 05:15:54 +0000, BH wrote:
>
>> I learned in a magazine article that Broadcom supplies equipment to Linksys
>> while a different company supplies D-link and Netgear.
>
>MANY companies manufacture, distribute, and sell solid, reliable chipsets
>for incorporation into WiFi gear.
>
>> Would this be a good reason to get a Linksys router/access point instead of
>> a Netgear or D-link model?
>
>That wouldn't be a better reason nor a worse reason to either get or NOT
>get that brand of consumer equipment.
>
>> For me, security is paramount, ease of use would be nice, and speed is not
>> that important.
>>
>
>I almost fell out of my chair LAUGHING at this comment:
>
>A WINDOZ user whose paramount concern is security...........The irony of
>that statement will be with me until my dying days!


Let me guess, you are less then 30 years of age and have only recently
gotten out of college or you are still in. How close to 100% correct am I?

>
>I have finally read it all in Usenet.....;>)
>
Related resources
April 20, 2004 4:22:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

In article <em2hc.50$Ci.20@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>, "BH" <budh@REMOVETHISameritech.net> wrote:
>I learned in a magazine article that Broadcom supplies equipment to Linksys
>while a different company supplies D-link and Netgear.
>
>Would this be a good reason to get a Linksys router/access point instead of
>a Netgear or D-link model?
>
>For me, security is paramount, ease of use would be nice, and speed is not
>that important.
>
>I have a new HP Pavilion ZD7000 with a Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance 802.11g
>Wi-Fi netwok adapter.
>
>BudH
>
>

Likely the Linksys AP will do the job. Does the NIC in your laptop support
WPA?
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 5:01:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I am a 63-yr old PhD, and I would have said the same ("Windows security"
= oxymoron) if I had thought of it.

MB


On 04/20/04 08:21 am Rico put fingers to keyboard and launched the
following message into cyberspace:

>>>For me, security is paramount, ease of use would be nice, and speed is not
>>>that important.

>>I almost fell out of my chair LAUGHING at this comment:
>>
>>A WINDOZ user whose paramount concern is security...........The irony of
>>that statement will be with me until my dying days!

> Let me guess, you are less then 30 years of age and have only recently
> gotten out of college or you are still in. How close to 100% correct am I?
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 12:26:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Rico" <rico_001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:108a5h25vb1iq06@corp.supernews.com...
> In article <em2hc.50$Ci.20@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>, "BH"
<budh@REMOVETHISameritech.net> wrote:
> >I learned in a magazine article that Broadcom supplies equipment to
Linksys
> >while a different company supplies D-link and Netgear.
> >
> >Would this be a good reason to get a Linksys router/access point instead
of
> >a Netgear or D-link model?
> >
> >For me, security is paramount, ease of use would be nice, and speed is
not
> >that important.
> >
> >I have a new HP Pavilion ZD7000 with a Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance
802.11g
> >Wi-Fi netwok adapter.
> >
> >BudH
> >
> >
>
> Likely the Linksys AP will do the job. Does the NIC in your laptop support
> WPA?

Yes.

BCM94306-M 802.11b/54g Client Reference Design

AirForce BCM94306-M 2.4 GHz IEEE 802.11g baseband processor with
integrated Medium Access Controllers (MAC) features maxperformance 54gTM,
with extended reach, powerful security, and high-speed Wi-Fi connectivity.
The BCM94306-M reference designs have been Wi-Fi CERTIFIED interoperable for
both 802.11b and 802.11g, and include advanced AirForce features such as
SmartRadio, standards-based Xpress Technology for improved overall network
efficiency, and powerful security including AES in hardware, WPA and CCX.
Reference designs for MiniPCI, CardBus, and PCI.
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 12:43:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:21:22 +0000, Rico wrote:



> Let me guess, you are less then 30 years of age and have only recently
> gotten out of college or you are still in. How close to 100% correct am I?


While I VERY seldom ever post personal details about myself in Usenet, I
will this once, tell you that I'm a 51 year old college educated working
professional. I simply don't see that it matters at all in relation to
this discussion!


vg
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 7:20:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I'm sorry but... Windows CAN be made safe enough to be called "secure".
Just like, lets say, Linux, can be made unsecure by a newbie's first
install.
Oh.. and when I say windows, I meant 2k/XP... Win9x is, I agree, very poor
on the security side. no doubt about that. And oh.. I was talking only on
user PC and not on the server side.

To relate to the OP, how good or bad are considered "Broadcom 54g
MaxPerformance 802.11g" ? My only complain to it so far is not having
support in Linux (that I know of)

Rico wrote:
|| In article <pan.2004.04.20.05.46.40.543354@myrealbox.com>,
|| =?iso-8859-1?q?Valent=EDn_Guill=E9n?= <usenet1@myrealbox.com> wrote:
||| On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 05:15:54 +0000, BH wrote:
|||
|||| I learned in a magazine article that Broadcom supplies equipment
|||| to Linksys while a different company supplies D-link and Netgear.
|||
||| MANY companies manufacture, distribute, and sell solid, reliable
||| chipsets for incorporation into WiFi gear.
|||
|||| Would this be a good reason to get a Linksys router/access point
|||| instead of a Netgear or D-link model?
|||
||| That wouldn't be a better reason nor a worse reason to either get
||| or NOT get that brand of consumer equipment.
|||
|||| For me, security is paramount, ease of use would be nice, and
|||| speed is not that important.
||||
|||
||| I almost fell out of my chair LAUGHING at this comment:
|||
||| A WINDOZ user whose paramount concern is security...........The
||| irony of that statement will be with me until my dying days!
||
||
|| Let me guess, you are less then 30 years of age and have only
|| recently
|| gotten out of college or you are still in. How close to 100% correct
|| am I?
||
|||
||| I have finally read it all in Usenet.....;>)
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 7:20:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:20:51 +0000, Maxx wrote:

> I'm sorry but... Windows CAN be made safe enough to be called "secure".

How could I possibly argue with this kind of "logic?" Moreover, why would
I even *want* to?

> To relate to the OP, how good or bad are considered "Broadcom 54g
> MaxPerformance 802.11g" ? My only complain to it so far is not having
> support in Linux (that I know of)


Support for "Broadcom Air Force" in GNU/Linux? Here it is:

http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/?PHPSESSID=211cf46...

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/



Cheers!

vg
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 10:06:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Valentín Guillén wrote:
|| On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:20:51 +0000, Maxx wrote:
||
||| I'm sorry but... Windows CAN be made safe enough to be called
||| "secure".
||
|| How could I possibly argue with this kind of "logic?" Moreover, why
|| would I even *want* to?
||
||| To relate to the OP, how good or bad are considered "Broadcom 54g
||| MaxPerformance 802.11g" ? My only complain to it so far is not
||| having support in Linux (that I know of)
||
||
|| Support for "Broadcom Air Force" in GNU/Linux? Here it is:
||
||
http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/?PHPSESSID=211cf46...
||
|| http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
||
||
||
|| Cheers!
||
|| vg

Thanks for the pointers.



About Windows been secure or not, we have to put preferences and stereotypes
aside. I'm not a MS fan at all. I disagree with many of their business
tactics and choices.

I wasn't trying to advocate Windows as a safe platform. Just say that it is
misleading and a bit narrow to declare Windows insecure. It has many flaws
and defaults settings can leave vulnerable to some security risk, I grant
you that. But that doesn't mean it cannot be made safer. Setting proper
security on some regkeys and files, running a decent anti-virus/firewall and
following some guide lines can provide more then enough security an average
user will ever need.

We should also account for its exposure as one of the reason regarding the
amount of holes found in windows. Maybe under the same number of users,
Major linux distros, *BSD and OSX would display a fair amount of holes
themselves.

As I have to support around 150 users in their everyday use of a computer,
plus all friends and family calling and asking questions, I realised that
most of them lack basic computers knowledge. Things like knowing the
difference between a file and a folder... file extensions and so on. They
just don't understand how their machine works and frankly, don't give a damn
about it either. Linux would need to be dumbed down quite a notch to allow
these users switch to Linux. And I'm convinced the edge Linux have over
security vs Windows would vanish in the process.



;) 

Maxx!
April 22, 2004 2:54:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

In article <pan.2004.04.21.14.43.00.509723@myrealbox.com>, =?iso-8859-1?q?Valent=EDn_Guill=E9n?= <usenet1@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:21:22 +0000, Rico wrote:
>
>
>
>> Let me guess, you are less then 30 years of age and have only recently
>> gotten out of college or you are still in. How close to 100% correct am I?
>
>
>While I VERY seldom ever post personal details about myself in Usenet, I
>will this once, tell you that I'm a 51 year old college educated working
>professional. I simply don't see that it matters at all in relation to
>this discussion!
>
>
>vg

I confess to being surprised. Well happy Linuxing to you.
!