This used to be the registry file in ME. Where is the registry file kept in
in XP Pro?? What is it's name? I still have system.1st in the root but I
can't fine the current registry file.

One NTUSER.DAT for each user on the machine, some templates and repair.
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator
C:\Documents and Settings\Default User
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\NTUSER.DAT
C:\WINDOWS\repair
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\systemprofile

All hives are stored in %systemroot%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG. Except
HKEY_CURRENT_USER. That's stored in %homepath%.
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here.

The major hives and their files are as follows:

Hive File BackupFile
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE.LOG
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SECURITY SECURITY SECURITY.LOG
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM SYSTEM SYSTEM.LOG
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SAM SAM SAM.LOG
HKEY_CURRENT_USER NTUSER.DAT ntuser.dat.LOG
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT DEFAULT DEFAULT.LOG

Description of the Windows 2000 Registry
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/regentry/AboutReg.asp

Registry structure
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/28e3337c-70ff-41e1-86ef-2581350712a9.mspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:E86dnUpKmP1tyi3fRVn-rg@adelphia.com,
Nog <nognog@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:

> One NTUSER.DAT for each user on the machine, some templates and repair.
> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator
> C:\Documents and Settings\Default User
> C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService
> C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService
> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\NTUSER.DAT
> C:\WINDOWS\repair
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\systemprofile
>
> All hives are stored in %systemroot%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG. Except
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER. That's stored in %homepath%.
> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here.
>
> The major hives and their files are as follows:
>
> Hive File BackupFile
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE.LOG
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SECURITY SECURITY SECURITY.LOG
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM SYSTEM SYSTEM.LOG
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SAM SAM SAM.LOG
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER NTUSER.DAT ntuser.dat.LOG
> HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT DEFAULT DEFAULT.LOG
>
> Description of the Windows 2000 Registry
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/regentry/AboutReg.asp
>
> Registry structure
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/28e3337c-70ff-41e1-86ef-2581350712a9.mspx
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:E86dnUpKmP1tyi3fRVn-rg@adelphia.com,
> Nog <nognog@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:
>> This used to be the registry file in ME. Where is the registry file kept
>> in in XP Pro?? What is it's name? I still have system.1st in the root
>> but I can't fine the current registry file.

That's what I feared, spread all over the machine.

Hi Nog,

If your looking for registry backup tool, Erunt works very well.

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://dts-l.org/