directx next , amd m2, nvidia or ati

yeehii

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
Hello

I am managing quite well holding off from upgrading my hardware but when 64 bit Longhorn is released by microsoft, and amd have their new socket m2 out in 2006 and pci express / sli has reached maturity / prices have come down a bit I will be ready to burst and build a new system.

What I would like to know is will ati / nvidia have hardware that is directx next (directx 10) capable out when Longhorn is released.

AFAIU, directx will debut with the longhorn operating system. I don't want to get a video card before the next generation of directx is out.

I would also appreciate pats on the back for holding off buying a new system so long. :)

I currently have a pentium 3 1000/133 and a nvidia geforce3 ti200.

Hope to hear from you!

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
from what i heard r520, and g70 has a different enconding format, microsoft named it some random thin... i forgot the acronym, but the new gen will only PARTIALLY support it

its like they have 1.0 (which is like part of it)
while longhorn has 2.0

<font color=red>One Lowe</font color=red>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Windows Graphics Foundation is the next gen DirectX if that's what you're talking about. No I don't think G70 or R520 will have support so you'll probably have to wait the generation or two after those.

<A HREF="http://nfiniti.blogspot.com" target="_new">nfiniti plus one - my blog</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Good job on holding back this long. I don't think you should wait for AMD's next socket however, as new technology always comes at a price premium, often with severe flaws.

Remember the A64 launch? The first chipsets were so bad compared to AXP chipsets, I couldn't recommend any boards for over 2 months! And the prices were outlandish considering the blatent flaws. But all this time later, A64's have become a great choice, with great chipsets, and great prices. So I'd suggest Socket 939. After all, it looks like you're used to being in situations with a limitted upgrade path, and holding out for complete system upgrades.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
You can always hold out, but with the gear and software you're talking about, even when all that stuff is released and actually available, you'll be paying Hollywood prices. And even then, what games are slated for release that push any hardware that much? UE3.0 runs nice on a 6800U, never mind whatever ATi and nVidia have in the works for this fall.

You can build a great system right now, or wait until the fall and build a socket-939 system with either one of the new nVidia or ATi cards, which will likely burn a hole in your wallet.

<A HREF="http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/landing/landingIndex.jsp?id=dumb01&mature=accept" target="_new">DumbLand</A>

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
new gen will only PARTIALLY support it
Which basically means don't hold your breath for fully DXNext supported GPUs. I doubt that game developers have even begun using the API, seeing how powerful DX9.0c is.

<A HREF="http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/landing/landingIndex.jsp?id=dumb01&mature=accept" target="_new">DumbLand</A>

cleeve

Illustrious
Longhorn is such a long way off that any answers we give you would be irrelevant. 2+ years in the computer industry is a hundred lifetimes, anything we suggest at this point is pure speculation based on rumor, at best. Ask us when Longhorn is released.

Kudos for holding off upgrading your system, unless you're a gamer...

If you're a gamer, shame on you for holding off upgrading your system for so long!