Does the Centipede to Jamma adapter save high scores?

I want to buy the one from Arcadeshop, but I'm not sure if it allows
for voltage to save high scores.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

, Bill
9 answers Last reply
More about does centipede jamma adapter save high scores

    Neverendz@aol.com wrote:
    > I want to buy the one from Arcadeshop, but I'm not sure if it allows
    > for voltage to save high scores.
    >
    > Anyone know?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > , Bill

    I can't remember for certain, but I do have a Jrok high score save chip
    on my JAMMA-fied Centipede PCB, so that must be the reason! :)

    Steve P

    Yes it does.

    Bill
    <Neverendz@aol.com> wrote in message
    > I want to buy the one from Arcadeshop, but I'm not sure if it allows
    > for voltage to save high scores.
    >
    > Anyone know?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > , Bill

    C'mon guys. I have two no's, one maybe, and one yes. . . . a little
    help?

    Thanks.

    , Bill

    A 15 second search of Google's archive found this:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.video.arcade.collecting/browse_frm/thread/37a5e884d13a0490/e4207703304d733d?q=centipede+high+score+jamma&rnum=2#e4207703304d733d

    Without the 22v, the ER-2055 will not save the scores.

    I knew there was a reason I bought Jrok's upgrade. :)

    Steve P.

    Yeah, that's the same 15 second Google search I did. It makes sense,
    but it was three years ago.

    The adapter that arcadeshop sells is relatively new. So I was hoping
    that they found a way around this.

    I emailed Stephen Gregory about it, but I figured he won't get back to
    me on the weekend. So I figured if someone on the group was using one.
    .. .

    On the other hand, I went to Jrok's sight and didn't see the upgrade.
    But, that was late last night. . .

    Thanks again.

    , Bill

    Neverendz@aol.com wrote:
    > Yeah, that's the same 15 second Google search I did. It makes sense,
    > but it was three years ago.
    >
    > The adapter that arcadeshop sells is relatively new. So I was hoping
    > that they found a way around this.
    >
    > I emailed Stephen Gregory about it, but I figured he won't get back to
    > me on the weekend. So I figured if someone on the group was using one.
    > . .
    >
    > On the other hand, I went to Jrok's sight and didn't see the upgrade.
    > But, that was late last night. . .
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > , Bill

    I just got my Centipede board to JAMMA adapter last fall(?) from
    Arcadeshop and I know I ran into the same issue and initially thought
    that the board was bad (a typical Ebay sale) but after a quick rgvac
    search I found that this was normal because the 22 volt that the
    ER-2055 needs is absent. Email James about the high score save. I'm
    pretty sure he still sells them.

    Steve P.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    :
    : The adapter that arcadeshop sells is relatively new. So I was hoping
    : that they found a way around this.

    You'd need a boost DC-DC converter to up the 12V to over 17V, so that it
    can be regulated down to 15, and converted to -30V on the PCB, and and
    I'm sure pretty sure Gregory does't know how to design that :)

    EAROMs aren't all that reliable anyway. It's much cleaner and cheaper to
    replace it with a 2816 or other non-volatile RAM with a little plug-in board,
    like JROK used to make, than to mess with a DC-DC converter.

    : On the other hand, I went to Jrok's sight and didn't see the upgrade.
    : But, that was late last night. . .

    I don't know if it was ever on his site... A friend of mine bought one
    about 5-6 years ago, when jrok was still etching boards in his basement.

    --
    Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
    50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

    I bought mine from Arcadeshop and it has the on-board negative voltage
    generator for the negative supply voltage needed. I've been using it for
    over a year now to repair centipedes and it works well. Visit the
    arcadeshop site and click on the link for the photo of the adapter. The
    upper right corner has the audio amp and in the middle of the bottom of the
    board slightly to the right (to the right of the two horizontal blue caps)
    is the venerable 7660 which is a switched capacitor device to generate a
    negative voltage from a positive one.
    This should end the controversy.

    Best Regards,

    > C'mon guys. I have two no's, one maybe, and one yes. . . . a little
    > help?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > , Bill

  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Bill Karkula <wkarkula@comcast.net> wrote:
    : I bought mine from Arcadeshop and it has the on-board negative voltage
    : generator for the negative supply voltage needed. I've been using it for
    : over a year now to repair centipedes and it works well. Visit the
    : arcadeshop site and click on the link for the photo of the adapter. The
    : upper right corner has the audio amp and in the middle of the bottom of the
    : board slightly to the right (to the right of the two horizontal blue caps)
    : is the venerable 7660 which is a switched capacitor device to generate a
    : negative voltage from a positive one.
    : This should end the controversy.

    If he's got a 7660 on the board, it's wired up as a voltage doubler, rather
    than as a negative voltage generator, since the game board needs a high
    positive voltage. Hopefully, he's using a regulator in front of it, since
    the 7660 is only rated to 10.5V maximum, so using it to double the 12V wouldn't
    be very friendly to the chip.

    --
    Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
    50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu