Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Does the Centipede to Jamma adapter save high scores?

Tags:
  • Games
  • Video
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 10:46:12 PM

I want to buy the one from Arcadeshop, but I'm not sure if it allows
for voltage to save high scores.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

, Bill

More about : centipede jamma adapter save high scores

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 10:55:14 PM

Neverendz@aol.com wrote:
> I want to buy the one from Arcadeshop, but I'm not sure if it allows
> for voltage to save high scores.
>
> Anyone know?
>
> Thanks.
>
> , Bill

I can't remember for certain, but I do have a Jrok high score save chip
on my JAMMA-fied Centipede PCB, so that must be the reason! :)

Steve P
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 7:46:18 AM

Yes it does.

Bill
<Neverendz@aol.com> wrote in message
> I want to buy the one from Arcadeshop, but I'm not sure if it allows
> for voltage to save high scores.
>
> Anyone know?
>
> Thanks.
>
> , Bill

August 6, 2005 4:39:21 PM

C'mon guys. I have two no's, one maybe, and one yes. . . . a little
help?

Thanks.

, Bill
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 7:06:49 PM

Yeah, that's the same 15 second Google search I did. It makes sense,
but it was three years ago.

The adapter that arcadeshop sells is relatively new. So I was hoping
that they found a way around this.

I emailed Stephen Gregory about it, but I figured he won't get back to
me on the weekend. So I figured if someone on the group was using one.
.. .

On the other hand, I went to Jrok's sight and didn't see the upgrade.
But, that was late last night. . .

Thanks again.

, Bill
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 7:23:31 PM

Neverendz@aol.com wrote:
> Yeah, that's the same 15 second Google search I did. It makes sense,
> but it was three years ago.
>
> The adapter that arcadeshop sells is relatively new. So I was hoping
> that they found a way around this.
>
> I emailed Stephen Gregory about it, but I figured he won't get back to
> me on the weekend. So I figured if someone on the group was using one.
> . .
>
> On the other hand, I went to Jrok's sight and didn't see the upgrade.
> But, that was late last night. . .
>
> Thanks again.
>
> , Bill

I just got my Centipede board to JAMMA adapter last fall(?) from
Arcadeshop and I know I ran into the same issue and initially thought
that the board was bad (a typical Ebay sale) but after a quick rgvac
search I found that this was normal because the 22 volt that the
ER-2055 needs is absent. Email James about the high score save. I'm
pretty sure he still sells them.

Steve P.
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 2:48:46 AM

:
: The adapter that arcadeshop sells is relatively new. So I was hoping
: that they found a way around this.

You'd need a boost DC-DC converter to up the 12V to over 17V, so that it
can be regulated down to 15, and converted to -30V on the PCB, and and
I'm sure pretty sure Gregory does't know how to design that :)

EAROMs aren't all that reliable anyway. It's much cleaner and cheaper to
replace it with a 2816 or other non-volatile RAM with a little plug-in board,
like JROK used to make, than to mess with a DC-DC converter.

: On the other hand, I went to Jrok's sight and didn't see the upgrade.
: But, that was late last night. . .

I don't know if it was ever on his site... A friend of mine bought one
about 5-6 years ago, when jrok was still etching boards in his basement.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

I bought mine from Arcadeshop and it has the on-board negative voltage
generator for the negative supply voltage needed. I've been using it for
over a year now to repair centipedes and it works well. Visit the
arcadeshop site and click on the link for the photo of the adapter. The
upper right corner has the audio amp and in the middle of the bottom of the
board slightly to the right (to the right of the two horizontal blue caps)
is the venerable 7660 which is a switched capacitor device to generate a
negative voltage from a positive one.
This should end the controversy.

Best Regards,

> C'mon guys. I have two no's, one maybe, and one yes. . . . a little
> help?
>
> Thanks.
>
> , Bill

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 7:20:19 AM

Bill Karkula <wkarkula@comcast.net> wrote:
: I bought mine from Arcadeshop and it has the on-board negative voltage
: generator for the negative supply voltage needed. I've been using it for
: over a year now to repair centipedes and it works well. Visit the
: arcadeshop site and click on the link for the photo of the adapter. The
: upper right corner has the audio amp and in the middle of the bottom of the
: board slightly to the right (to the right of the two horizontal blue caps)
: is the venerable 7660 which is a switched capacitor device to generate a
: negative voltage from a positive one.
: This should end the controversy.

If he's got a 7660 on the board, it's wired up as a voltage doubler, rather
than as a negative voltage generator, since the game board needs a high
positive voltage. Hopefully, he's using a regulator in front of it, since
the 7660 is only rated to 10.5V maximum, so using it to double the 12V wouldn't
be very friendly to the chip.