my computer constantly skips

soliduss

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2004
Hey,I got a problem with my computer.The problem is that when i play certain games and launch certain applications i have to mouse for the screen to refresh,if i don't everything shows at 1 frame per second.Sometimes it works fine,whenever i play half-life 2 and cs:source it works fine but when i tried to play games like XIII and others it skips really bad like mentioned before.Please help me with my situation,tahnks.

cleeve

Illustrious
What kind of system do you have? Motherboard? How much RAM? What kind of Videocard? What CPU? Are you using AA & AF? etc...

soliduss

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2004
I have a 2.8 ghz p4 cpu,a gig of generic ddr400 pc3200 ram,a pny 6800 gt videao card,a p4p800se mobo,a 400 power supply and a 80 gig 7200 rpm hdd.I'll play games like half life 2 wieth everything turned up all the way including AA and AF and it doesn't skip at all but i'll play games that don't have an option for AA and AF and it'll skip so i'm really confused.

cleeve

Illustrious
That system shouldn't have a problem...

Did you turn AA and AF on in the drivers? Although on a 6800GT it should be able to handle very good AA & AF.

Which games skip exactly, and which do not other than HL2?

Do you have the newest mobo/chipset/graphics card drivers installed?

soliduss

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2004
I turned off all of aa,af ,image quality and vsync which i think might have been application controlled.I tried XIII,phantasy star online blue burst and they both do it but half life and cs source,the only ones i tried, didn't do it at all, and movies skip as well, i tried it on windows media player,winamp and quicktime and they all skip on every movie.

soliduss

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2004
How do i download the newest mobo and chipset drivers and can you provide the links i need to downlaod them and how toinstall them.

cleeve

Illustrious
Find out your motherboard manufacturer and go to their site.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
can you play normal videos. .mpg, .mov or avi's okay off your hard drive ??

what speed does your optical drive run at ??

run with 3dmark2005 at default setting & then crank up the FSAA/Ansio, does this skip ??

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

soliduss

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2004
I can't run any movie at all without it skipping i tried a lot of different movies with a lot different players including divx,windows media player,quicktime,winamp, they all did the same thing so i'm stumped.I ran 3dmark03, teh free version and it didn't mess up at all,no ksipping, but i tried to run phantasy star online:blue burst and XIII and they both did it and when try to run certain rpograms like limewire it does it too so i'm really stumped.One thing I figured out though was that when i play eq2 it doesn't skip but when i enable wait for screen refresh or something like that it skipped but then i disbaled and it didn't so that might help you with helping with me with my problem.

RichPLS

Champion
Is it a macho skipping or a girly style skipping [/gayly skipping along while humming]

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
LOL!

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i had problems when diablo2 & again when wc3 came out, the cut scenes jerked & sometimes if the video played, the sound didnt & vica versa...

check ur media player or quicktime etc programs, 2 me it sounds like a codec issue, uninstall & do a freah install install of mp10 & latest qt6

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

Also, make sure video and sound drivers are up to date... as well as DirectX.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

So it's Jerking and Humming? Are youu sure Wusy hasn't made a nest in your rig?