Betty

Photos on are consistently displayed on my LCD monitor as a posterized image.
That is, if the photo has a million colors in it, the displayed photo has
dozens of colors in splotches. There isn't any transition between colors.
This occurs both when viewing the photo in a image viewing application, such
as Irfanview, as well as images using the XP Home screen saver. Photo
previews also are shown posterized. This leads me to think it is something
either in the XP setup, or the monitor. My guess it is that XP is
communicating to the monitor less than all colors, rather than a defect or
setting in the monitor. The same photo file viewed on a different computer
looks fine, so it doesn't appear to be the photo image but something in the
processing and display. Thanks for the guidance.

"Betty" <Betty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Photos on are consistently displayed on my LCD monitor as a posterized
> image.
> That is, if the photo has a million colors in it, the displayed photo has
> dozens of colors in splotches. There isn't any transition between colors.
> This occurs both when viewing the photo in a image viewing application,
> such
> as Irfanview, as well as images using the XP Home screen saver. Photo
> previews also are shown posterized. This leads me to think it is
> something
> either in the XP setup, or the monitor. My guess it is that XP is
> communicating to the monitor less than all colors, rather than a defect or
> setting in the monitor. The same photo file viewed on a different
> computer
> looks fine, so it doesn't appear to be the photo image but something in
> the
> processing and display. Thanks for the guidance.

Right click on the desktop, choose Properties, choose the Settings tab.
Choose a high Color Quality.

Betty

That didn't change the problem. Am now trying to reset the monitor to
eliminate it as a possible cause of the problem, but monitors are generally
pretty reliable so I doubt that that is the problem. I checked for new
monitor drivers, and found none. The monitor is a Samsung 712N. After
confirming that the monitor has been reset and appears to be working
normally, which then points the problem at the CPU/OS, I'll solicit more
input.

"Alan Smith" wrote:

> Right click on the desktop, choose Properties, choose the Settings tab.
> Choose a high Color Quality.

***post reordered to maintain converstional flow. Please follow the flow
rather than swap from bottom to top posting so your thread can be followed
properly***

">

> That didn't change the problem. Am now trying to reset the monitor to
> eliminate it as a possible cause of the problem, but monitors are
> generally
> pretty reliable so I doubt that that is the problem. I checked for new
> monitor drivers, and found none. The monitor is a Samsung 712N. After
> confirming that the monitor has been reset and appears to be working
> normally, which then points the problem at the CPU/OS, I'll solicit more
> input.

What did you change the settings to? Unless you post that info you are
leaving people to guess. Resolution, colour depth please.

Why the CPU?
Why the OS?

The place you should probably be looking is the grahics card driver.

The monitor inf file will tell the system the refresh rates, resolutions etc
that the monitor can use. If your graphics card only allows limited choices
it may be that the incorrect profile is used. Or that the incorrect or no
graphics driver is installed.

Do you have the option to use millions of colours? 16 bit or 32 bit? What
resolutions can you choose? If it is only 640x480 it may be that a generic
driver is being used for the graphics card. You need to give more info or
it's only general help that can be given.