Closed

Task bar disappears when explorer crashes

June 15, 2005 6:17:33 PM

Sometimes either My Computer or Windows Explorer is too slow at doing
something so I try to close it with the X in the corner. I then get a
message that something has failed unexpectedly, do I want to send a message
to Microsoft. I say no, but after that all explorer windows of any kind
close, and the task bar at the bottom of the screen either loses most of the
icons in the system tray near the clock, or the task bar completely
vanishes. I can alt-tab to anything open, but the windows flag key won't
activate the start menu, nor will opening explorer through the task manager.
Short of alt-tab and save everything then reboot, is there another way to
get back the start menu/task bar without starting over?

Thanks,
Mich
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 7:05:28 PM

M Skabialka commented courteously...

> Sometimes either My Computer or Windows Explorer
> is too slow at doing something so I try to close it
> with the X inthe corner. I then get a message
> that something has failed unexpectedly, do I
> want to send a message to Microsoft.

Happens to me all the time. The fix, for me, is easy: I
bring up Task Manager, go to Processes, and kill
anything named "explorer". Then I begin a new process
called "explorer" and I'm golden again. I used to re-
boot when this happens, but this little work-around has
been pretty successful.

Meanwhile, ever wonder what M$ does with the /tens of
millions/ of crash reports they get everyday?

--
ATM, aka Jerry
June 15, 2005 8:06:43 PM

In news:eMmWj7dcFHA.2840@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
M Skabialka <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> had this to say:

> Sometimes either My Computer or Windows Explorer is too slow at doing
> something so I try to close it with the X in the corner. I then get a
> message that something has failed unexpectedly, do I want to send a
> message to Microsoft. I say no, but after that all explorer windows
> of any kind close, and the task bar at the bottom of the screen
> either loses most of the icons in the system tray near the clock, or
> the task bar completely vanishes. I can alt-tab to anything open,
> but the windows flag key won't activate the start menu, nor will
> opening explorer through the task manager. Short of alt-tab and save
> everything then reboot, is there another way to get back the start
> menu/task bar without starting over?
> Thanks,
> Mich

Ctrl + Alt + Del > file > new task > explorer.exe often works. If not you
can log off and log back on again from the task manager.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
June 16, 2005 2:35:36 PM

I have tried staring a new explorer process, but never looked to see if
there were any others to kill - will try that next time, thanks.
Mich

"All Things Mopar" <noneofyour@busi.ness> wrote in message
>M Skabialka commented courteously...
>
>> Sometimes either My Computer or Windows Explorer
>> is too slow at doing something so I try to close it
>> with the X inthe corner. I then get a message
>> that something has failed unexpectedly, do I
>> want to send a message to Microsoft.
>
> Happens to me all the time. The fix, for me, is easy: I
> bring up Task Manager, go to Processes, and kill
> anything named "explorer". Then I begin a new process
> called "explorer" and I'm golden again. I used to re-
> boot when this happens, but this little work-around has
> been pretty successful.
>
> Meanwhile, ever wonder what M$ does with the /tens of
> millions/ of crash reports they get everyday?
>
> --
> ATM, aka Jerry
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 2:36:41 PM

That's better than rebooting I suppose. I wonder why MS hasn't fixed this?
It happens to lots of us!
Mich

news:o Hg9$WecFHA.3048@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> In news:eMmWj7dcFHA.2840@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> M Skabialka <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> had this to say:

>> Sometimes either My Computer or Windows Explorer is too slow at doing
>> something so I try to close it with the X in the corner. I then get a
>> message that something has failed unexpectedly, do I want to send a
>> message to Microsoft. I say no, but after that all explorer windows
>> of any kind close, and the task bar at the bottom of the screen
>> either loses most of the icons in the system tray near the clock, or
>> the task bar completely vanishes. I can alt-tab to anything open,
>> but the windows flag key won't activate the start menu, nor will
>> opening explorer through the task manager. Short of alt-tab and save
>> everything then reboot, is there another way to get back the start
>> menu/task bar without starting over?
>> Thanks,
>> Mich
>
> Ctrl + Alt + Del > file > new task > explorer.exe often works. If not you
> can log off and log back on again from the task manager.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

Anonymous
March 29, 2011 10:05:08 AM

Quote:

M Skabialka commented courteously...

> Sometimes either My Computer or Windows Explorer
> is too slow at doing something so I try to close it
> with the X inthe corner. I then get a message
> that something has failed unexpectedly, do I
> want to send a message to Microsoft.

Happens to me all the time. The fix, for me, is easy: I
bring up Task Manager, go to Processes, and kill
anything named "explorer". Then I begin a new process
called "explorer" and I'm golden again. I used to re-
boot when this happens, but this little work-around has
been pretty successful.

Meanwhile, ever wonder what M$ does with the /tens of
millions/ of crash reports they get everyday?

--
ATM, aka Jerry

Thank you so much, Jerry - great to know that it happens to others, moreso that there's an easy workround. Like Mich, I'd sometimes managed to restore normality by trying to re-start Explorer, but more often than not nothing happened, so had to re-boot... and always when re-booting was the last thing I wanted to do, with so much (too much!) running. Never thought to check for any explorer running. Just done it, and it works like a charm! Cheers, Pete
March 29, 2011 12:47:30 PM

This topic has been closed by Aford10
!