Sign in with
Your question

Windows ME 98SE 98

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 25, 2003 12:20:31 AM

When did Microsoft stop supporting ME, 98SE, & 98?
Went to their website today and found nothing!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pata on 08/24/03 08:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : windows 98se

August 25, 2003 1:28:53 AM

Yes they did.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 25, 2003 8:44:52 PM

Hey Crashman,

Did Microsoft really stop support on the aforementioned OSs from Pata?

If so I need to change to XP then. I'm still running 98SE.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=23810" target="_new"><font color=blue>My System </font color=blue></A>
<b><font color=blue>VAGABOND<font color=blue></b>

<b><font color=blue>veni,vidi, and ended up in THGC<font color=blue></b>
Related resources
August 25, 2003 11:23:54 PM

Last time I checked you could still download the old updates, but I don't think the windows update site works automatically. If I recall correctly, you had to update Windows Update to even access the site! I'm fairly certain no new updates have been released since the support officially stopped.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 26, 2003 2:47:22 AM

Seems like about a year ago or so, thats Microshafts way of shoving us out of the nest.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>
August 26, 2003 7:14:30 AM

Thanks for the input. I'll take that into account.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=23810" target="_new"><font color=blue>My System </font color=blue></A>

August 26, 2003 9:37:48 AM

I just did windows update on a 98SE machine, it still works fine.

This is actually the first time in a while I've done this on a customer's machine, sorry for not giving you a current answer sooner.

Anyway, you should be able to get updates through the windows update site. You probably won't find any new updates unless they involve security and...preventing your system from infecting one with a newer OS.

August 26, 2003 9:44:05 AM

Kinda puzzled me 'cause when I went to the site it was still working although there were no new updates for me.

Thanks for the note.

August 26, 2003 9:37:42 PM

If you've done updates before, you probably have all the updates available.

August 27, 2003 8:17:41 AM

I've been running 98SE since 1997. About 500 :redface: formats since then. I think I have all the important updates that I can get from the Microsoft site.

I've been into the XP interface but I just can't get used to it. The transition from 95 to 98 was no problem. I'll eventually have to switch 'cause 98SE is going the way of the dinosaur but I'm gonna hang on as long as possible. This may well be to my disadvantage but as long as this OS still functions for my needs then I'll stick with it.

August 27, 2003 8:28:31 AM

That's the best way to be.

I've formatted more times with XP than with 98SE on my own PC. I was doing a clean install of 98SE about once a year. XP around every 6 months.

August 27, 2003 8:34:37 AM

Hey Crashman,

What country are you from? That was a rather quick answer.

I'm posting out of Germany.

Why is that with XP? It should normally be better than its forebearer.

August 27, 2003 12:13:05 PM

does that include 98 SE also?

<b><font color=red>
"Remain at stock speed"</b> - The Overclocker.
</font color=red>
August 27, 2003 9:41:39 PM

Ich spreche etwas deutsch!

Anyway, I'm from the U.S. XP doesn't seem to handle hardware changes as easily, it's harder to get back to original settings when you mess with it too much, etc. Perhaps if you've found one perfect configuration and don't mess with it you could have your install last indefinately.

One time I had to format and reinstall because the silliest program, Paint, got messed up during a shutdown. Repair installs and uninstal/reinstall didn't fix it, I think something was wrong in the registry. Hmm, it seems like the restore feature would've fixed that, but it didn't.

August 27, 2003 11:01:02 PM

Nicht schlecht Crashman. Keine sorge da ich Amerikaner bin kann ich mit Dir in Englisch unterhalten.

I did or seem I did that I found that perfect configuration but at the time, I was too impatient with XP. Maybe when I have vacation I'll give it a try.

What is it with Windows in general anyways? For a couple of weeks, it wouldn't let me go into DOS mode. Like two days ago, I was finally able to do a scanreg/restore. Definitely a quirky OS. IMHO XP is even quirkier but there are supposed to be patches and tweaks, etc for the system to make it run stable.

I'm still twidling with it. When I get the 500 Celeron (Slot 1) mobo for my daughter running I'll install XP and see if I can eventually work with it. She's got an old Pentium 133 and I'll probably hook her up to my system so she can go online also. She's on school vacation now but she'll be needing it when she's back this coming September.

August 28, 2003 1:53:44 AM

Wow, that's german like I've never heard before, I actually had to piece a few of the words together to make sense of it! So what brought you to germany?

Well, I'm quite familiar with repairing 98SE, and can replace nearly everything without loosing installed programs, etc. As for running XP on a Celeron 500, you'd better have a good amount of RAM!

August 28, 2003 8:38:24 AM

I was in the Army from 1985-1992 and 5 years of that was in Germany. I moved to Germany in 1993 after the Postal Service laid me off and ever since I've been living here. Married now with two kids, two horses, two dogs, two cats and a fish. It's not bad except I hate the Euro. It's killing everyone here slowly. Don't know if you've ever been here but Germany is similar to New England. I hail out of Brockton, Massachusetts by the way. That's where I grew up. Wanted to see the world and that's exactly what I did. The best thing about Germany is its road system however. They're just awesome! It's like a race course with signs! :lol: 

Do you have any links into repairing 98SE? Could you send me some advice especially in DOS?

I know about how XP ties up a lot of memory. I've still got SDRAM somewhere. At least 512MB. That should be enough.

September 12, 2003 3:12:40 AM

Im not real knowledgable but what sort of support is nessacery to continue to run 98se? I mean is the support just to plug the holes that it has or just updates to allow you to run newer programs?
September 13, 2003 1:27:11 PM

That will not stop me in using WIn98se to my older system.

<font color=red>If your nose <b>RUNS</b>, and feet <b>SMELL</b>.
Then you must be born <b>UPSIDE DOWN</b>.</font color=red>
September 13, 2003 1:28:48 PM

both of them maybe.

Anonymous
September 13, 2003 2:34:16 PM

Thanks for sharing that with us. Twice. :eek: 
Quote:
...to plug the holes that it has or just updates to allow you to run newer programs?

Both. It's Microsofts way of saying that it's time to upgrade your operating system. Which is kind of understandable. Even when you buy a new car, the warranty only lasts for so long. You'll still be able to get the updates on the web, just not from windows update. And, there won't be any new updates. Or you can download the from Windows Update Catalog, and copy to cd, before they stop supporting 98.

September 15, 2003 1:47:48 AM

Its too bad really that they are going to stop supporting WIN98SE. IMO, its the most stable OS microsoft has released.

WINME on the other hand, should never have been released in the first place. :) 

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
512MB DDR333
GF3 ti200 64MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB
Quantum 6GB
LG24x24x32 CDR
WIN2K Pro.
September 15, 2003 3:43:41 AM

Quote:

WINME on the other hand, should never have been released in the first place. :) 

Yep. It run games slower than 2000.
And everytime i open WINME before, it loads even worst than 2000.

September 15, 2003 3:51:13 AM

I just hope that Win2000 will continue to be supported up to 2006 or later. I love this OS a lot.

September 15, 2003 12:56:25 PM

I seriously doubt it. Most M$ OS are supported for 5-6 tears, tops. With the release of Server 2003, and the impending relase of Longhorn (whenver that happens), you can bet M$ will be pulling the plug on 2000.

Which I feel is unfortunate as well. I have 4 PC, one running WIN98SE, one WIN2K, one XP, and one Linux, and I must say, 2000 is a rock stable OS.

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
512MB DDR333
GF3 ti200 64MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB
Quantum 6GB
LG24x24x32 CDR
WIN2K Pro.
September 16, 2003 9:07:26 AM

Quote:

I have 4 PC, one running WIN98SE, one WIN2K, one XP, and one Linux, and I must say, 2000 is a rock stable OS.

I also have 4 pc's. Which have different genereations of Windows OSes.

Oldest PC : Win3.11
Old PC: Win98SE
Business PC: Win2000 Server
Gaming PC: WinXP PRo

September 26, 2003 2:44:53 AM

i have no idea what is all this fuss about? i had neva used one update from MS site, eva (just SP2 for w2k), and all OSs work all the time from the box, i must say i use ME for my kid's partition, last time i reinstalled it was about 11 months ago, it is full of his games and other crap, and it is working like nothing i even seing so far as far as gaming system goes (i play UT on it heavily as well). i could never have 98SE to work that long even if only i used it. have no idea what kind of problems pplz here and there having with ME.. go figure ;) 

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
September 26, 2003 5:50:41 PM

Quote:
Married now with two kids, two horses, two dogs, two cats and a fish

you married with 2 kids, 2 horses, 2 dogs 2 cats AND A FISH?! wow dude, i guess there hasnt been much luck in you love life huh?

--------------------------------------------------
My computer is so fast it proves the theory of relativity wrong... :eek: 
September 26, 2003 9:19:59 PM

Why'd you dig this one up? :redface:

September 27, 2003 2:08:05 AM

heh....

--------------------------------------------------
My computer is so fast it proves the theory of relativity wrong... :eek: 
September 27, 2003 12:47:32 PM

the post is cool, RIGHT!!!

<b>
The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind.
<b>
-BAZ LUHRMANN
September 27, 2003 12:48:05 PM

I also liked the thread itself.

<b>
The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind.
<b>
-BAZ LUHRMANN
September 27, 2003 5:39:28 PM

Check the date on the original post.

September 27, 2003 5:40:38 PM

Are you still in the Philippines?

September 29, 2003 4:06:17 AM

of course. why?

<b><font color=purple>
</font color=purple></b>
---
<A HREF="http://www.mapua.edu.ph/" target="_new">
MIT
</A>
September 29, 2003 4:08:16 AM

how about you. whe're do you live?

<b><font color=purple>
</font color=purple></b>
---
<A HREF="http://www.mapua.edu.ph/" target="_new">
MIT
</A>
September 29, 2003 5:36:49 PM

I was born in the P.I. Check my profile. That's where I currently live.

!