Favorites (off Start Menu) Don't Open In New Window Anymore

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi all ... this one is bugging the living daylights outta me!

I just migrated from a machine running WinXP, SP2 to another SP2 box.
I copied my Favorites from the old machine's Documents and
Settings\MyUser\Favorites folder to the new machine's identical folder.
My Favorites come up and work just fine (on new machine) both from the
Start Menu (with Display Favorities) and the IE6 Favorites menu, but
with one tiny glitch.

On my old computer, when opened off an IE6 window's Favorites menu, the
desired page would open inside the window with focus. When opened off
the Start:Favorites menu, IE6 would launch a new window, then open the
page in that new window. I have gotten used to this behavior.

Now, on my new machine, when I open off Start:Favorites, the new page
loads inside my first open window, which usually contains stuff I don't
want to lose! It doesn't even open in the window that currently has
focus. Same happens if I open Win. Explorer and double click on
Favorites inside Documents and Settings\Myuser\Favorites. There must
be a checkbox or registry entry somewhere that controls this, but I
have looked and looked and cannot find it!

What the ___ ??????????

<<Henry>>
2 answers Last reply
More about favorites start menu open window anymore
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi,
    From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> uncheck "Reuse windows
    for launching shortcuts."

    This article has some additional information:
    241911- Description of the Reuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts Setting in
    Internet Explorer 5.01
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241911

    Don
    [MS MVP- IE/OE]

    <htfiddler[at]attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Hi all ... this one is bugging the living daylights outta me!
    >
    > I just migrated from a machine running WinXP, SP2 to another SP2 box.
    > I copied my Favorites from the old machine's Documents and
    > Settings\MyUser\Favorites folder to the new machine's identical folder.
    > My Favorites come up and work just fine (on new machine) both from the
    > Start Menu (with Display Favorities) and the IE6 Favorites menu, but
    > with one tiny glitch.
    >
    > On my old computer, when opened off an IE6 window's Favorites menu, the
    > desired page would open inside the window with focus. When opened off
    > the Start:Favorites menu, IE6 would launch a new window, then open the
    > page in that new window. I have gotten used to this behavior.
    >
    > Now, on my new machine, when I open off Start:Favorites, the new page
    > loads inside my first open window, which usually contains stuff I don't
    > want to lose! It doesn't even open in the window that currently has
    > focus. Same happens if I open Win. Explorer and double click on
    > Favorites inside Documents and Settings\Myuser\Favorites. There must
    > be a checkbox or registry entry somewhere that controls this, but I
    > have looked and looked and cannot find it!
    >
    > What the ___ ???????
    >
    > <<Henry>>
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Outstanding Don! That's just what I was looking for! Thanks!
    <<Henry>>

Start Menu Microsoft Favorites IE6 Windows XP