Shell

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

I was getting a message that I was running out of space - purchase 512 of RAM
- nothing has changed - pc site just said to plug it in - did - restarted and
nothign changed - lost

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:25:02 -0700, "Shell"
<Shell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>I was getting a message that I was running out of space - purchase 512 of RAM
>- nothing has changed - pc site just said to plug it in - did - restarted and
>nothign changed - lost

SPACE is most likely related to your hard drive, not memory

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

Details! Details! Details!

Exactly what is the error message - verbatim? Are you sure you are not low
on hard drive space? Is the new RAM recognized by the operating system? How
much RAM do you have total? Tell us more.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Shell" <Shell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was getting a message that I was running out of space - purchase 512 of
>RAM
> - nothing has changed - pc site just said to plug it in - did - restarted
> and
> nothign changed - lost

"Shell" <Shell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was getting a message that I was running out of space - purchase 512 of
>RAM
> - nothing has changed - pc site just said to plug it in - did - restarted
> and
> nothign changed - lost

There's not enough here to give any help. If you do want help then give some
details about your machine or you'll get guesses. OS? RAM? Hard disk size?
Hard disk space left? How many hard disks? When does the message occur? What
EXACTLY does the message tell you and WHEN does it happen? ANYTHING ELSE
that seems relevant?

As someone has already commented the reference to lack of space is more
likely to refer to the hard disk.

On the subject of increasing memory this could improve the performance of
the computer (and dramatically so if you start from a low base). The
classic advice is to increase memory as far as can be afforded so that, at
least, the amount of memory is not an issue. However, there is a point past
which there is little or no improvement in performance. Quite what that
point is a rather academic.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Shell" <Shell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was getting a message that I was running out of space - purchase 512 of
>RAM
> - nothing has changed - pc site just said to plug it in - did - restarted
> and
> nothign changed - lost

Shell

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

I just read another message with my same issue - thought by adding more
memory I would get more space - guess not! When I run the Disk Defrag, it
says I have"
Capicity Drive C: 13.97GB FREE: 171MB FREE %: 1%
Capitcity Drive D: 5.58GB FREE: 52.80GB FREE %: 95%

When I log in it states that I am running out of space on Drive C, to delete
some programs or apps that I am not using. Nervious on deleting programs
since I did that before (just deleting by the "title" of the program) and
then found soem were used by other programs. Is there a safe way to know
what to get rid of? I also tried to move files from C to D, thought I did
but the readings all stayed the same.

Am I just too much of a newby to be touching a pc? be nice now ... (smile)

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Details! Details! Details!
>
> Exactly what is the error message - verbatim? Are you sure you are not low
> on hard drive space? Is the new RAM recognized by the operating system? How
> much RAM do you have total? Tell us more.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban

> "Shell" <Shell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I was getting a message that I was running out of space - purchase 512 of
> >RAM
> > - nothing has changed - pc site just said to plug it in - did - restarted
> > and
> > nothign changed - lost

Ras

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003

You'll need third party partitioning software as XP has nothing built-in to
do this. You have plenty of free space on your D drive that you need to
move to your C drive. PartitionMagic is one that will work. BootItNG is
another. The later at one time was free but not sure anymore. Maybe
someone else will chime in that knows.

> I just read another message with my same issue - thought by adding more
> memory I would get more space - guess not! When I run the Disk Defrag, it
> says I have"
> Capicity Drive C: 13.97GB FREE: 171MB FREE %: 1%
> Capitcity Drive D: 5.58GB FREE: 52.80GB FREE %: 95%
>
> When I log in it states that I am running out of space on Drive C, to
> delete
> some programs or apps that I am not using. Nervious on deleting programs
> since I did that before (just deleting by the "title" of the program) and
> then found soem were used by other programs. Is there a safe way to know
> what to get rid of? I also tried to move files from C to D, thought I did
> but the readings all stayed the same.
>
> Am I just too much of a newby to be touching a pc? be nice now ...
> (smile)
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> Details! Details! Details!
>>
>> Exactly what is the error message - verbatim? Are you sure you are not
>> low
>> on hard drive space? Is the new RAM recognized by the operating system?
>> How
>> much RAM do you have total? Tell us more.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban

>> "Shell" <Shell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I was getting a message that I was running out of space - purchase 512
>> >of
>> >RAM
>> > - nothing has changed - pc site just said to plug it in - did -
>> > restarted
>> > and
>> > nothign changed - lost

"Shell" <Shell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I just read another message with my same issue - thought by adding more
> memory I would get more space - guess not! When I run the Disk Defrag, it
> says I have"
> Capicity Drive C: 13.97GB FREE: 171MB FREE %: 1%
> Capitcity Drive D: 5.58GB FREE: 52.80GB FREE %: 95%
>
> When I log in it states that I am running out of space on Drive C, to
> delete
> some programs or apps that I am not using. Nervious on deleting programs
> since I did that before (just deleting by the "title" of the program) and
> then found soem were used by other programs. Is there a safe way to know
> what to get rid of?

Loads of things you can consider:

For starters-
Use add/remove programs to remove programs you don't use.
Uninstall programs then reinstall on your D drive if you have the install
disks/keys you need. (There are programs that can move where programs are
installed, but uninstall/reinstall is usually better)
Empty your temporary folders.
Delete any files with the file extender .tmp
Delete any files that start with a tilde ~ (they are usually temp files left
over by applications).
Consider moving any stored documents (pictures etc) to the D drive.
You can consider removing the Critical Update left over and uninstall info
to free space on your C drive.
Empty your recycle bin.
Have you ran any disk checking utilities (do you use FAT or NTSC disks?)
There may be lost clusters taking up space you can recover.

When you move files make sure it is move and not copy.

I also tried to move files from C to D, thought I did
> but the readings all stayed the same.
>
> Am I just too much of a newby to be touching a pc? be nice now ...
> (smile)
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> Details! Details! Details!
>>
>> Exactly what is the error message - verbatim? Are you sure you are not
>> low
>> on hard drive space? Is the new RAM recognized by the operating system?
>> How
>> much RAM do you have total? Tell us more.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban

>> "Shell" <Shell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I was getting a message that I was running out of space - purchase 512
>> >of
>> >RAM
>> > - nothing has changed - pc site just said to plug it in - did -
>> > restarted
>> > and
>> > nothign changed - lost

Shell

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

thanks! i get it now .. i will try the links
"Shell" wrote:

> I just read another message with my same issue - thought by adding more
> memory I would get more space - guess not! When I run the Disk Defrag, it
> says I have"
> Capicity Drive C: 13.97GB FREE: 171MB FREE %: 1%
> Capitcity Drive D: 5.58GB FREE: 52.80GB FREE %: 95%
>
> When I log in it states that I am running out of space on Drive C, to delete
> some programs or apps that I am not using. Nervious on deleting programs
> since I did that before (just deleting by the "title" of the program) and
> then found soem were used by other programs. Is there a safe way to know
> what to get rid of? I also tried to move files from C to D, thought I did
> but the readings all stayed the same.
>
> Am I just too much of a newby to be touching a pc? be nice now ... (smile)
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
> > Details! Details! Details!
> >
> > Exactly what is the error message - verbatim? Are you sure you are not low
> > on hard drive space? Is the new RAM recognized by the operating system? How
> > much RAM do you have total? Tell us more.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Richard Urban
> >
> > If you knew as much as you think you know,
> > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
> >

> > "Shell" <Shell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I was getting a message that I was running out of space - purchase 512 of
> > >RAM
> > > - nothing has changed - pc site just said to plug it in - did - restarted
> > > and
> > > nothign changed - lost

Shell

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

got confused with the links under your name! got it now .. thanks for
helping me understand the difference
"John Thomas Smith" wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:25:02 -0700, "Shell"
> <Shell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >I was getting a message that I was running out of space - purchase 512 of RAM
> >- nothing has changed - pc site just said to plug it in - did - restarted and
> >nothign changed - lost
>
> SPACE is most likely related to your hard drive, not memory
>

> John Thomas Smith
> http://www.direct2usales.com
> http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

Shell

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

at least I did do this stuff - thanks for the confirmation that i should -
having trouble identifying programs and have delete a couple i should not
have - i just do not reconize some as to what they are used for due to their
name - i'll keep trying!