Why is "Account Unknown(S-1-5-32-547)" on XP Home?

I have a user account on my XP Home SP2 that I found when I went into safe mode
and checked the properties->security tab for one of my apps. This app was
installed recently, ran ok for a day, and then suddenly when I double clicked
it's icon or tried to run it from "all programs" it would not load or run. When
I tried to uninstall it from the add/remove in control panel it would not
uninstall.

I had to use the system Restore to a previous date in order to get rid of it.

This has happened twice.

Can I remove the User Account Unknown(S-1-5-32-547)?

Is this the cause of my problem?

Thanks for any help with this problem.
9 answers Last reply
More about account unknown home

    Yes.........it would also be helpful to know the name of the troublesom
    program
    peterk

    the problem
    <Dennis@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
    >I have a user account on my XP Home SP2 that I found when I went into safe
    >mode
    > and checked the properties->security tab for one of my apps. This app was
    > installed recently, ran ok for a day, and then suddenly when I double
    > clicked
    > it's icon or tried to run it from "all programs" it would not load or run.
    > When
    > I tried to uninstall it from the add/remove in control panel it would not
    > uninstall.
    >
    > I had to use the system Restore to a previous date in order to get rid of
    > it.
    >
    > This has happened twice.
    >
    > Can I remove the User Account Unknown(S-1-5-32-547)?
    >
    > Is this the cause of my problem?
    >
    > Thanks for any help with this problem.

    That account is actually the 'Power Users' group.
    Do you know why that was deleted?

    A lot of software will not run or install/unistall for that matter using a
    standard user account.
    The account your using was probably a member of this group, getting its
    permissions to install and run the application from it.

    Can you restore to a point where the Power Users group still existed. This
    is your best bet.

    If not you have a real issue. You can't just create a group called Power
    Users. It won't have the rights and permissions that the old group did.

    Of course if the account has administrator rights you should have no issue
    installing or running the software. If that is the case then you have other
    issues as well.

    Regards
    Mark Dormer

    "Mark Dormer" <markd@mvpsx.org> wrote:
    >That account is actually the 'Power Users' group.
    >Do you know why that was deleted?

    I have XP Home. I thought the Power Users group is only avalable for XP Pro.

    After I started having problems with apps not running, I deleted the Account
    Unknown(S-1-5-32-547) using a technique in the registry suggested by F Sharon in
    the microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage NG. I then rebooted, used
    the microsoft Windows Install Cleanup program to uninstall the app.

    >A lot of software will not run or install/unistall for that matter using a
    >standard user account.
    >The account your using was probably a member of this group, getting its
    >permissions to install and run the application from it.

    I reinstalled the app after the above and it recreated the Account
    Unknown(S-1-5-32-547). I hope that it doesn't go "won't load" on me but I'll
    have to wait a few days to see.

    If the app goes "no load" on me again, how do I give the Account
    Unknown(S-1-5-32-547) the correct permissions? Right now it does not have "Full
    Control" and all the other Permission boxes are checked but grayed out.

    Thanks.

    Dennis

    >Regards
    >Mark Dormer
    >

    ><Dennis@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
    >> I have a user account on my XP Home SP2 that I found when I went into safe
    >mode
    >> and checked the properties->security tab for one of my apps. This app was
    >> installed recently, ran ok for a day, and then suddenly when I double
    >clicked
    >> it's icon or tried to run it from "all programs" it would not load or run.
    >When
    >> I tried to uninstall it from the add/remove in control panel it would not
    >> uninstall.
    >>
    >> I had to use the system Restore to a previous date in order to get rid of
    >it.
    >>
    >> This has happened twice.
    >>
    >> Can I remove the User Account Unknown(S-1-5-32-547)?
    >>
    >> Is this the cause of my problem?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help with this problem.

  4. The "Unknown Account (S-1-5-21-#'s) is a rrot kit that takes ownership of the drive. We have derrik nuke the drive, low level formatted, created new partion, regular format, and install windows and it is still there.
    We have a computer repair shop.and have not figured out how to get this under control. We also have a drive that the virus has locked us completly out of, can not access the dive. If we discovery a cure we will post it here......just for peoples information
  5. please check the dates before posting, this is from 2005... a virus cant lock you out of the drive because a virus is software based, it should be as simple as removing the drive, putting it in a docking station and accessing it on another computer using USB.
  6. I pity the people that take their computer to your shop. You have no clue what you're talking about.

    Grumpy
  7. uh i recently reread this and want to write more....

    medic... if you cant access the drive its more than likely because the head has completely crashed, whatever data that was on there has been lost(unless you can spend a couple of G sending it away to a hi-tech data recovery centre)

    there is no virus/software that can affect hardware, there was a rumor AGESSSS ago that there was a virus that could install itself in the BIOS, however i have never seen this happen in 12years of computing.

    i felt sorry for his customers too...
  8. I'll admit ignorance of computerese but have managed to keep this well used computer going for 6 years. Is it possible this;
    S - 1 - 5 - 32 - 547
    which seemingly has the run of my computer, is a download from Kodak? In my admittedly limited knowledge that seems to be the source.
    I bought a Kodak 5500 AiO printer (it's junk) and have had mucho problems since downloading an "update" from these jagoffs.

    Thanks in advance,

    Richard
  9. Need more info. Where are seeing S - 1 - 5 - 32 - 547?

    Grumpy

Microsoft Windows XP