Just built pc and having problems! plz help

June 16, 2005 5:14:09 AM

Ok im going to attempt to explain hehe I know the problem I have is
something minor… :p

My specs-

Dfi lanparty nf4 ultra –D on board raid controllers

Amd64 3200+ Venice

1 gig(2x512) corsair twinxms1024 (2.2.2.5)

EVGA 6800gt pci-ex16

Atx 500psu

2 seagate barracuda 80gig s-ata150

windows xp pro

The first thing after assembling my comp:

Booted up was trying to run off cd then would say disk error, I then
popped in winxp it booted up went through setup asks me if I wnt to
install windows did that then rqstd me to format specific hd like
normal … I did one of the hds went through that xp wntd me to reboot ,
rebooted . Goes right into setup again so I formatted other drive . To
my knowledge when it reboots after formatting and installing window
drivers it goes right into installation of windows but it just keeps
repeating the process. So I restarted comp after formatting both drives
it goes back into windows setup and now showing its partitioned on both
drives in setup, one of them shows drive C: in windows setup when its
asking u to format the drive….. So I rebooted and hit f10 to set hd
array. Added both drives to the right and setting it to stripping then
exited . I then entered bios now before I added those hd’s it showed in
bios in standard cmos my hds showed up under sata 1 and sata 2 after I
setup array and added them in f10 when I go back to standard cmos they
are not there just sata 3 and sata 4 , sata 1 and 2 are missing…. ? (im
sure that’s normal)….

In cd rom priority it shows:

Both my dvd drive and dvd burner

In hard disk priority its showing

1. Scsi-0 nvidia stripe 149.00 ( is the 11 gigs that’s already used
up from the windows drivers that were installed, damn that’s big)
2. Bootable add ins

In removable priority’s showing :

1. floppy disk( it doesn’t show and specific name not sure if it
should, is my floppy even working??? , it’s a sony)

Network priority’s showing :

1. Lagacy lan card

I rebooted again it shows up on booted up nvidia stripe 149.00 I hit
f10 again and it shows same thing healthy hds both master so I exited.
Now I just let it boot and right after it shows irq numbers and such
then Dmi pool data it says disk read error occurred ctrl alt del to
reboot.

So I rebooted from cd went into setup I then noticed I had a disk labed
sata drivers I guess I do that before win setup by hitting f6 to install
I hit f6 and nothing happens it then problems me unknown mass storage
device scsi or cd rom yadda yadda hit (s)specify specific device or hit
enter to continue , when I hit s it asks me for disk I enter disk in and
it says please wait for like 10 seconds the nit prompts me for disk
again??? Im like wtf??? So I just continued and it goes through same
process as I explained earlier and when I attempt to pick a drive to
install windows on it says Os already on not good to install windows on
it again… but I havn’t fully installed windowsxp on one of them yet…

So my question is that disk I have for those sata drivers is that the
reason why its not letting me install windows? Do I need a start up
disk? Is my floppy not working? If I have a disk in floppy and booted
and it prompt me to take out disk does that mean its working???

Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause , I just built this machine
finally and I cant figure how to install windows on my hd hehe I guess
im just a windows xp noob….. I know u might get confused but its pretty
straight forward I haven’t done much and I know I have everything hooked
up right :p  let me know if your confused L I don’t really have anyone to
talk to or to help me out , I just know this comp will scream when I get
it working right J

--
Vapor

More about : built problems plz

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 1:58:09 PM

You would be well advised to ensure that the hardware has been correctly
assembled, that cables have been connected correctly and that hdd jumpers
are set correctly.. until you get the hardware issues sorted, attempting to
add software to the equation can only end in tears..

Many have built and successfully run XP on set ups like yours, so ignore the
remarks in the other reply..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

"Vapor" <Vapor.1qpf1n@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> [...]
> install windows on it says Os already on not good to install windows on
> it again. but I havn't fully installed windowsxp on one of them yet.
>

> So my question is that disk I have for those sata drivers is that the
> reason why its not letting me install windows? Do I need a start up
> disk? Is my floppy not working? If I have a disk in floppy and booted
> and it prompt me to take out disk does that mean its working???
>

> Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause , I just built this machine
> finally and I cant figure how to install windows on my hd hehe I guess
> im just a windows xp noob... I know u might get confused but its pretty
> straight forward I haven't done much and I know I have everything hooked
> up right :p  let me know if your confused L I don't really have anyone to
> talk to or to help me out , I just know this comp will scream when I get

June 16, 2005 5:08:03 PM

Hmmmmm.....

I'd install Linux ^_~

BTW- Where'd you get the disk? Have you checked it for scratches or anything?
June 17, 2005 12:33:36 AM

Try again, and Remove the XP CD after the last Restart. It is probably
rebooting to the CD instead of the HD.
!