Windows XP Home system file association problem...

June 16, 2005 9:43:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser (More info?)

<Warning...new at XP>

I was asked to provide help a to friend try to make his new PC look
like the 98 system that he just upgraded from. In this case, he has
purchased the system from Fry's Electronics, one of their personally
branded systems which came loaded with many superfluous BS
programs that he'll never use, but also it came with only a "Restore"
disc containing all of that BS.... no individual software or Windows
OS discs.

As I was able to slowly get his system looking like something that he
was familiar with, he came up with something else he wanted me to
help him learn to do....

He wanted to save a few items (MP3's, .jpgs, and .swf files) that had
been obtained through surfing links in e-mails that had been sent by
friends. He had not cleared his internet cache, so my first thought
was simply to go looking in the temporary internet files folders and
save them from there. (He's on a dial-up or I would have gone back
to the urls).

When I finally managed to find these (and the history folder, now
buried in the master "temp" folder which used to be a separate beast),
there were no files visible. I made several attempts to make them
visible by changing file preferences before it dawned on me that
*somehow* the master "Index.dat" files in each of these folders
had somehow been associated with blasted NERO !!!! My best
explanation is that these master index files are now looking to show
only files within those folders that are NERO files... therefore no
ordinarily visible internet files *at all* were to be seen within those
folders. No scripts, no urls, no .jpgs, nothing at all. The items *would*
play or display in the e-mails out of cache, as we worked off line, so
they should have been visible, right?

Given that he has only a Fry's RESTORE disc, is there any way that
I can re-associate the master "Index.dat" files in both the Temporary
Internet and History folders to Windows ??

My best guess at this point, is that the only way to do this would be
to uninstall NERO, check them again, and then possibly delete them
and reboot to see if they are recreated by the registry, or completely
replace with a reload from his restore disc after deleting them. He
has no need for any of the Nero audio software.

Thanks,

DM
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 10:46:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser (More info?)

Try the "Move Folder" button in IE, tools, Options, General tab, T.I.F Settings button.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"David Morgan (MAMS)" <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote in message news:9k8se.15033$2K4.12227@trnddc08...
> <Warning...new at XP>
>
> I was asked to provide help a to friend try to make his new PC look
> like the 98 system that he just upgraded from. In this case, he has
> purchased the system from Fry's Electronics, one of their personally
> branded systems which came loaded with many superfluous BS
> programs that he'll never use, but also it came with only a "Restore"
> disc containing all of that BS.... no individual software or Windows
> OS discs.
>
> As I was able to slowly get his system looking like something that he
> was familiar with, he came up with something else he wanted me to
> help him learn to do....
>
> He wanted to save a few items (MP3's, .jpgs, and .swf files) that had
> been obtained through surfing links in e-mails that had been sent by
> friends. He had not cleared his internet cache, so my first thought
> was simply to go looking in the temporary internet files folders and
> save them from there. (He's on a dial-up or I would have gone back
> to the urls).
>
> When I finally managed to find these (and the history folder, now
> buried in the master "temp" folder which used to be a separate beast),
> there were no files visible. I made several attempts to make them
> visible by changing file preferences before it dawned on me that
> *somehow* the master "Index.dat" files in each of these folders
> had somehow been associated with blasted NERO !!!! My best
> explanation is that these master index files are now looking to show
> only files within those folders that are NERO files... therefore no
> ordinarily visible internet files *at all* were to be seen within those
> folders. No scripts, no urls, no .jpgs, nothing at all. The items *would*
> play or display in the e-mails out of cache, as we worked off line, so
> they should have been visible, right?
>
> Given that he has only a Fry's RESTORE disc, is there any way that
> I can re-associate the master "Index.dat" files in both the Temporary
> Internet and History folders to Windows ??
>
> My best guess at this point, is that the only way to do this would be
> to uninstall NERO, check them again, and then possibly delete them
> and reboot to see if they are recreated by the registry, or completely
> replace with a reload from his restore disc after deleting them. He
> has no need for any of the Nero audio software.
>
> Thanks,
>
> DM

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 1:46:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser (More info?)

If you do not know what you are doing, make your friend party to it and
leave his system alone..

To make an XP system look like Win 98, you go to Performance settings in
Control Panel and set the level to best performance.. that does it
instantly.. there is no 'slowly' getting there about it..

Re looking back at temporary internet files to get mp3's and jpg's?.. surely
it would be better to revisit the sites than to start shuffling about in
areas where you really shouldn't..

Your attempts at file associations have probably left the user having to do
a recover which will essentially wipe out everything. leaving the user to
start from square one..

Why doesn't he have need of Nero software?.. it is very useful when burning
CDs..

Re. the superfluous BS?.. who decided that it was?.. you or him?.. it could
either be left on the computer on the basis that he may have experimented
with some of it, or just un-installed through ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

"David Morgan (MAMS)" <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote in message
> <Warning...new at XP>
>
> I was asked to provide help a to friend try to make his new PC look
> like the 98 system that he just upgraded from. In this case, he has
> purchased the system from Fry's Electronics, one of their personally
> branded systems which came loaded with many superfluous BS
> programs that he'll never use, but also it came with only a "Restore"
> disc containing all of that BS.... no individual software or Windows
> OS discs.
>
> As I was able to slowly get his system looking like something that he
> was familiar with, he came up with something else he wanted me to
> help him learn to do....
>
> He wanted to save a few items (MP3's, .jpgs, and .swf files) that had
> been obtained through surfing links in e-mails that had been sent by
> friends. He had not cleared his internet cache, so my first thought
> was simply to go looking in the temporary internet files folders and
> save them from there. (He's on a dial-up or I would have gone back
> to the urls).
>
> When I finally managed to find these (and the history folder, now
> buried in the master "temp" folder which used to be a separate beast),
> there were no files visible. I made several attempts to make them
> visible by changing file preferences before it dawned on me that
> *somehow* the master "Index.dat" files in each of these folders
> had somehow been associated with blasted NERO !!!! My best
> explanation is that these master index files are now looking to show
> only files within those folders that are NERO files... therefore no
> ordinarily visible internet files *at all* were to be seen within those
> folders. No scripts, no urls, no .jpgs, nothing at all. The items *would*
> play or display in the e-mails out of cache, as we worked off line, so
> they should have been visible, right?
>
> Given that he has only a Fry's RESTORE disc, is there any way that
> I can re-associate the master "Index.dat" files in both the Temporary
> Internet and History folders to Windows ??
>
> My best guess at this point, is that the only way to do this would be
> to uninstall NERO, check them again, and then possibly delete them
> and reboot to see if they are recreated by the registry, or completely
> replace with a reload from his restore disc after deleting them. He
> has no need for any of the Nero audio software.
>
> Thanks,
>
> DM

June 16, 2005 4:47:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser (More info?)

Look in the same place as in earlier Windows for file associations. Change
them in the same way- if anything it is a little easier now.

But are you sure you want to continue messing around with someone elses
computer? To change a file association you don't need to mess around like
you have, it should take less than a minute.

"David Morgan (MAMS)" <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote in message
> <Warning...new at XP>
>
> I was asked to provide help a to friend try to make his new PC look
> like the 98 system that he just upgraded from. In this case, he has
> purchased the system from Fry's Electronics, one of their personally
> branded systems which came loaded with many superfluous BS
> programs that he'll never use, but also it came with only a "Restore"
> disc containing all of that BS.... no individual software or Windows
> OS discs.
>
> As I was able to slowly get his system looking like something that he
> was familiar with, he came up with something else he wanted me to
> help him learn to do....
>
> He wanted to save a few items (MP3's, .jpgs, and .swf files) that had
> been obtained through surfing links in e-mails that had been sent by
> friends. He had not cleared his internet cache, so my first thought
> was simply to go looking in the temporary internet files folders and
> save them from there. (He's on a dial-up or I would have gone back
> to the urls).
>
> When I finally managed to find these (and the history folder, now
> buried in the master "temp" folder which used to be a separate beast),
> there were no files visible. I made several attempts to make them
> visible by changing file preferences before it dawned on me that
> *somehow* the master "Index.dat" files in each of these folders
> had somehow been associated with blasted NERO !!!! My best
> explanation is that these master index files are now looking to show
> only files within those folders that are NERO files... therefore no
> ordinarily visible internet files *at all* were to be seen within those
> folders. No scripts, no urls, no .jpgs, nothing at all. The items *would*
> play or display in the e-mails out of cache, as we worked off line, so
> they should have been visible, right?
>
> Given that he has only a Fry's RESTORE disc, is there any way that
> I can re-associate the master "Index.dat" files in both the Temporary
> Internet and History folders to Windows ??
>
> My best guess at this point, is that the only way to do this would be
> to uninstall NERO, check them again, and then possibly delete them
> and reboot to see if they are recreated by the registry, or completely
> replace with a reload from his restore disc after deleting them. He
> has no need for any of the Nero audio software.
>
> Thanks,
>
> DM

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 11:31:57 PM

"Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23exf9jmcFHA.3204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> Try the "Move Folder" button in IE, tools, Options, General tab, T.I.F Settings button.

I will examine this possibility when I return to the box in question.

Thank you, Mark !

DM

> Mark L. Ferguson

> "David Morgan (MAMS)" <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com>...
> >
> > <Warning...new at XP>
> >
> > I was asked to provide help a to friend try to make his new PC look
> > like the 98 system that he just upgraded from. In this case, he has
> > purchased the system from Fry's Electronics, one of their personally
> > branded systems which came loaded with many superfluous BS
> > programs that he'll never use, but also it came with only a "Restore"
> > disc containing all of that BS.... no individual software or Windows
> > OS discs.
> >
> > As I was able to slowly get his system looking like something that he
> > was familiar with, he came up with something else he wanted me to
> > help him learn to do....
> >
> > He wanted to save a few items (MP3's, .jpgs, and .swf files) that had
> > been obtained through surfing links in e-mails that had been sent by
> > friends. He had not cleared his internet cache, so my first thought
> > was simply to go looking in the temporary internet files folders and
> > save them from there. (He's on a dial-up or I would have gone back
> > to the urls).
> >
> > When I finally managed to find these (and the history folder, now
> > buried in the master "temp" folder which used to be a separate beast),
> > there were no files visible. I made several attempts to make them
> > visible by changing file preferences before it dawned on me that
> > *somehow* the master "Index.dat" files in each of these folders
> > had somehow been associated with blasted NERO !!!! My best
> > explanation is that these master index files are now looking to show
> > only files within those folders that are NERO files... therefore no
> > ordinarily visible internet files *at all* were to be seen within those
> > folders. No scripts, no urls, no .jpgs, nothing at all. The items *would*
> > play or display in the e-mails out of cache, as we worked off line, so
> > they should have been visible, right?
> >
> > Given that he has only a Fry's RESTORE disc, is there any way that
> > I can re-associate the master "Index.dat" files in both the Temporary
> > Internet and History folders to Windows ??
> >
> > My best guess at this point, is that the only way to do this would be
> > to uninstall NERO, check them again, and then possibly delete them
> > and reboot to see if they are recreated by the registry, or completely
> > replace with a reload from his restore disc after deleting them. He
> > has no need for any of the Nero audio software.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > DM

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 11:36:43 PM

"Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message...

> Look in the same place as in earlier Windows for file associations. Change
> them in the same way- if anything it is a little easier now.

Thanks Alan,

The problem is, this file should not be associated with *any* program. My
suspicion was, after checking everything I could to show all files, was that
it's association with NERO as a *sound file* was preventing it from performing
it's designated operation and possibly was the cause of our inability to view
the files within the TIF folders. As an example, double-clicking on the NERO
icon (titled: index.dat) should have Nero attempting to open the file, but of
course it does not... and probably cannot.

> But are you sure you want to continue messing around with someone elses
> computer? To change a file association you don't need to mess around like
> you have, it should take less than a minute.

What is the quickest manner to DIS-associate this file from ANY program??

OT:
I've supported this man's PC(s) for almost ten years. The few XP systems
that I've been exposed to were not impressive to me for single users. As a
matter of fact, there are things I literally detest about this overly bloated OS
with too many running background processes, it's inability to assign or reserve
IRQs, etc., etc., but this isn't the time or place.

DM

> "David Morgan (MAMS)" <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote in message
> > <Warning...new at XP>
> >
> > I was asked to provide help a to friend try to make his new PC look
> > like the 98 system that he just upgraded from. In this case, he has
> > purchased the system from Fry's Electronics, one of their personally
> > branded systems which came loaded with many superfluous BS
> > programs that he'll never use, but also it came with only a "Restore"
> > disc containing all of that BS.... no individual software or Windows
> > OS discs.
> >
> > As I was able to slowly get his system looking like something that he
> > was familiar with, he came up with something else he wanted me to
> > help him learn to do....
> >
> > He wanted to save a few items (MP3's, .jpgs, and .swf files) that had
> > been obtained through surfing links in e-mails that had been sent by
> > friends. He had not cleared his internet cache, so my first thought
> > was simply to go looking in the temporary internet files folders and
> > save them from there. (He's on a dial-up or I would have gone back
> > to the urls).
> >
> > When I finally managed to find these (and the history folder, now
> > buried in the master "temp" folder which used to be a separate beast),
> > there were no files visible. I made several attempts to make them
> > visible by changing file preferences before it dawned on me that
> > *somehow* the master "Index.dat" files in each of these folders
> > had somehow been associated with blasted NERO !!!! My best
> > explanation is that these master index files are now looking to show
> > only files within those folders that are NERO files... therefore no
> > ordinarily visible internet files *at all* were to be seen within those
> > folders. No scripts, no urls, no .jpgs, nothing at all. The items *would*
> > play or display in the e-mails out of cache, as we worked off line, so
> > they should have been visible, right?
> >
> > Given that he has only a Fry's RESTORE disc, is there any way that
> > I can re-associate the master "Index.dat" files in both the Temporary
> > Internet and History folders to Windows ??
> >
> > My best guess at this point, is that the only way to do this would be
> > to uninstall NERO, check them again, and then possibly delete them
> > and reboot to see if they are recreated by the registry, or completely
> > replace with a reload from his restore disc after deleting them. He
> > has no need for any of the Nero audio software.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > DM

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:59:59 AM

> "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message...
>>
>> Look in the same place as in earlier Windows for file associations.
>> Change
>> them in the same way- if anything it is a little easier now.
>
> Thanks Alan,
>
> The problem is, this file should not be associated with *any* program. My
> suspicion was, after checking everything I could to show all files, was
> that
> it's association with NERO as a *sound file* was preventing it from
> performing
> it's designated operation and possibly was the cause of our inability to
> view
> the files within the TIF folders. As an example, double-clicking on the
> NERO
> icon (titled: index.dat) should have Nero attempting to open the file, but
> of
> course it does not... and probably cannot.
>
>> But are you sure you want to continue messing around with someone elses
>> computer? To change a file association you don't need to mess around like
>> you have, it should take less than a minute.
>
> What is the quickest manner to DIS-associate this file from ANY program??

In File Manager, Tools, Folder options. File types, delete that filetype if
you want no association.

> OT:
> I've supported this man's PC(s) for almost ten years. The few XP systems
> that I've been exposed to were not impressive to me for single users. As
> matter of fact, there are things I literally detest about this overly
> bloated OS
> with too many running background processes, it's inability to assign or
> reserve
> IRQs, etc., etc., but this isn't the time or place.
>
> DM

You have the choice to use other systems, but it is the most common so
changing from Windows may force other changes onto you. But you do have
choice.

>> "David Morgan (MAMS)" <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote in message
>> > <Warning...new at XP>
>> >
>> > I was asked to provide help a to friend try to make his new PC look
>> > like the 98 system that he just upgraded from. In this case, he has
>> > purchased the system from Fry's Electronics, one of their personally
>> > branded systems which came loaded with many superfluous BS
>> > programs that he'll never use, but also it came with only a "Restore"
>> > disc containing all of that BS.... no individual software or Windows
>> > OS discs.
>> >
>> > As I was able to slowly get his system looking like something that he
>> > was familiar with, he came up with something else he wanted me to
>> > help him learn to do....
>> >
>> > He wanted to save a few items (MP3's, .jpgs, and .swf files) that had
>> > been obtained through surfing links in e-mails that had been sent by
>> > friends. He had not cleared his internet cache, so my first thought
>> > was simply to go looking in the temporary internet files folders and
>> > save them from there. (He's on a dial-up or I would have gone back
>> > to the urls).
>> >
>> > When I finally managed to find these (and the history folder, now
>> > buried in the master "temp" folder which used to be a separate beast),
>> > there were no files visible. I made several attempts to make them
>> > visible by changing file preferences before it dawned on me that
>> > *somehow* the master "Index.dat" files in each of these folders
>> > had somehow been associated with blasted NERO !!!! My best
>> > explanation is that these master index files are now looking to show
>> > only files within those folders that are NERO files... therefore no
>> > ordinarily visible internet files *at all* were to be seen within those
>> > folders. No scripts, no urls, no .jpgs, nothing at all. The items
>> > *would*
>> > play or display in the e-mails out of cache, as we worked off line, so
>> > they should have been visible, right?
>> >
>> > Given that he has only a Fry's RESTORE disc, is there any way that
>> > I can re-associate the master "Index.dat" files in both the Temporary
>> > Internet and History folders to Windows ??
>> >
>> > My best guess at this point, is that the only way to do this would be
>> > to uninstall NERO, check them again, and then possibly delete them
>> > and reboot to see if they are recreated by the registry, or completely
>> > replace with a reload from his restore disc after deleting them. He
>> > has no need for any of the Nero audio software.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > DM

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 8:43:22 PM

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:o eEZmJvcFHA.1288@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> David
>>
>> FYI.. Temporary Internet Files are stored here..
>>
>> C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
>
> Thanks again,
>
> So navigating to the directory tree and going to C: | Windows | Temp | TIF
> will show nothing?
>
> It's no wonder I'm having a bit of a problem. It seems that the "username"
> approach to things is going to be a learning curve for me. I just posted a
> new question regarding that after reading this. His OEM system did not
> include an XP manual.

David,

Did you not see Alan's or Mark's earlier replies to you?
Using either of them you would see that you don't need to know
where the TIF is located. In fact, it is incorrect even to assume
that it must fit the pattern that Mike has shown you. (Typically that
is what it will be but it doesn't have to be that.)

Just use the UI (e.g. Alt-T,O,Alt-S,V) That opens up an Explorer
window with a special view of the TIF and the Cookies folders.
BTW this has been true since at least IE5 and possibly earlier.
Even Windows 95 had the concept of user profiles and each
user's TIF could have a different location or a shared location
depending on how it was set up.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 10:06:19 PM

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:o y$0Va7cFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> David
>
> I took the liberty of visiting you website and can well see where your
> specialty is.. way to go..

First, I want to apologize for coming more or less unglued when I read
that you felt sorry for my friend / client. The last time I had to spend extra
time in the MS groups was when a few of my clients decided to take up
Win ME, and my experience was definitely sub-par.... so I guess I was
still on the defensive from that set of encounters. You still ultimately
provided me with the key to the answer, and I appreciate it.

My problem was definitely in the file paths. There is still a similar path
at C: | Windows | Temp | Temporary Internet, which is where I was looking
during my first visit. It was that location where the index.dat(s) had the bad
file associations and there were also 4 empty OS created subfolders.

Obviously, I need to step back and take a long look at the multiple User
and Administrator peculiarities, private documents, shared documents,
etcetera. I understand that there's going to be a learning curve and will
of course will be cautious with my friend's system.

> OK.. MVP's are not paid.. we do this on a volunteer basis.. many of us have
> been in IT support for x years, and have seen and heard most of it.. all of
> us have called somewhere to be told "no, we didn't touch anything" or " a
> friend who said that he knew all about computers had a look at it for us"..
> there is little worse than having to tell somebody that their 'friend' has
> essentially spoiled there chances of ever retrieving data, and that a format
> and clean install is the only option left..

I've been helping audio newbies on rec.audio.pro for almost 8 years... we
don't get paid much either. <g> I'm also watching professional audio go
to the dogs as the bar is being lowered by the advent of so much mediocre
technology made for home computers and all-in-one recording boxes. So,
in many ways, technology is contributing to the collapse of pro recording
facilities.

> I have been derided as being a bad computer guy by some because their
> computer had failed after I had fixed it.. it's funny how their stance
> changes when I tell them how they messed up their own computer, what they
> deleted without using add/remove, the sequence of events that lead to the
> failure, the 'fishy' sites visited and the malware, spyware infested
> software downloaded by them.. there are many other 'telltale' signs too..
> then they ask how I knew what they had done, and trust me, I am quite
> willing to show them..

Understood... there are those that have no clue how I can tell them where
they were on the internet at midnight last night. I was one of those types
once, back in the early Win95 days, and I never want to be there again.
I doubt that you are a 'bad computer guy', but you were a little quick on
the trigger that I was not just new to XP, but anti-XP... and that's not the
case.

> Enough of that..
>
> What I would suggest is that you purchase this book..
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/7109.asp
>
> It is the best if you want to know about XP.. the current 2nd edition also
> has a couple of CD's in the back of it with utilities and other helpful
> stuff loaded onto them.. It is not the kind of book that you will read from
> cover to cover, but is useful for explanations, tips and 'how to's'..

Thanks. Since I've heard the manual is less than informative, I'll have to
go for the book.... sooner or later, I'll probably have XP on several of my
own boxes.

> The problem with reverting back to Win 9x and W2k is the lack of support for
> the future.. I know that more than a few do this, but it really isn't sense
> unless they have some old software or hardware which is XP resistant.. here,
> the fault lies not with XP so much as with hardware and software vendors who
> failed to give support for their older products.. the premise was that users
> of XP would automatically go out and buy latest versions..

Right. However if a person has a dedicated workstation that doesn't connect
to the internet and is project-specific, all the hooplah and to-do about patches
and upgrades is usually quite superfluous to getting the job done. When a
workstation for audio or video is stable on a platform, it's best to leave it
totally alone. I understand global upgrades (new boxes as well as new
OSes and software) are somewhat of a necessity due to increased
processing speeds and software with more facilities, and that's why
I am finally diving into XP with the graces of my friend.

> XP had to come when it did.. the older Win 9x family was at the end of its
> development.. anybody who ran ME quickly found out that adding heavier
> features to an already unstable platform could and did end in tears.. W2K
> was never developed as anything other than a workstation OS..

And 98 is not really bad either, so long as it isn't connected to the internet.
I'm posting on a very fine box right now, but It's loaded with 98 because I
feel comfortable inside the system. I use no form of anti-virus at all (and
haven't since learning their invasiveness on 95B) and have never been
infected. Maybe that will tell you a little about my work habits. ;-)

> Re. IRQ's, Win 98SE and ME were able to assign multiple items to one IRQ, so
> it is not a new thing.. the way XP works, it is best to leave it this way..
> having to assign IRQs was a 'limitation' of the older OS'es and was always a
> task and a half for homeusers.. we have been freed of that limitation now,
> and any hardware that insists on a specific IRQ should be considered for
> replacement if at all viable.. however, it is still possible to set an IRQ
> to a PCI slot if required.. a visit to BIOS sorts the problem..

Again... thank you for the continued insight.

> Another limitation that has been removed.. processes.. I have 54 processes,
> 12 items in the system tray and 28 other items all showing.. this is nothing
> unusual for most XP users, and as long as the machine is up to spec, it
> presents no problem to XP.. the limitations in Win 9x were a pain, and we
> were all looking for a way to preserve system resources.. one of the great
> things about XP is the way it manages memory.. so don't look at all of these
> background processes as you did for 9x.. the rules back then no longer
> apply..

I have to seriously adjust my thinking here and do more research. It's
tough to visualize hardware that should never be interrupted, even for
basic polling purposes, sitting on an 'interrupt' with the or four more
pieces of equally vital hardware. Of course, I'm being very 'application-
specific' here, but this is an interesting concept.

> Items that reside in the system tray, now called the Notification Area, are
> all installed by the user.. so one would have to assume that disabling any
> of them reduces functionality that the user felt some need of to install
> them in the first place.. as always, MSCONFIG should not be used to stop
> them permanently.. there will be options in the programs to remove the
> start-up facility..

> I find it strange that anybody would go to TIFs to get files sent in e-mail,

I was probably unclear on that, but they were simply 'links', not attachments.
Once the link had been reached, played but not purposely saved, I new it
would be in cache. Obviously, I thought it could be located and saved in
short order... and probably still can now that I have the right path. It's a
shame that I ran into that bad file association, which *really* threw me for
a loop and took my mind away from the learning process.

> when all one has to do is save the attachment to a folder someplace, unless
> of course the user deleted the e-mails.. you might want to show him how to
> save attachments.. he may well discover Disk Clean and remove all of the
> temporary files before you get a chance to save them from there..

Thanks for another tip. <g>

> I never said that XP was perfect, and would never make the claim.. what I
> will say is that there are millions of users out there who do not have
> problems every time that they reboot.. the users with the most problems are
> those who tinker without asking or reading up first.. and when you consider
> that there are maybe 180 million users of XP out there, the numbers seen in
> online forums and newsgroups pale into insignificance..
>
> I wish you well in your efforts to support your friend.. and get the book..

I will.

Mike, thank you again for tolerating my outburst. I think we're actually on
the same page and I look forward to lurking and reading the group for a
while.

DM
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 12:56:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser (More info?)

Robert

The default is C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary
Internet Files.. David has not gotten around to moving it yet..

--

> "David Morgan (MAMS)" <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> news:o eEZmJvcFHA.1288@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> David
>>>
>>> FYI.. Temporary Internet Files are stored here..
>>>
>>> C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
>>> Files
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> So navigating to the directory tree and going to C: | Windows | Temp |
>> TIF
>> will show nothing?
>>
>> It's no wonder I'm having a bit of a problem. It seems that the
>> "username"
>> approach to things is going to be a learning curve for me. I just posted
>> new question regarding that after reading this. His OEM system did not
>> include an XP manual.
>

> David,
>
> Did you not see Alan's or Mark's earlier replies to you?
> Using either of them you would see that you don't need to know
> where the TIF is located. In fact, it is incorrect even to assume
> that it must fit the pattern that Mike has shown you. (Typically that
> is what it will be but it doesn't have to be that.)
>
> Just use the UI (e.g. Alt-T,O,Alt-S,V) That opens up an Explorer
> window with a special view of the TIF and the Cookies folders.
> BTW this has been true since at least IE5 and possibly earlier.
> Even Windows 95 had the concept of user profiles and each
> user's TIF could have a different location or a shared location
> depending on how it was set up.
>

> FYI
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 2:32:27 AM

"Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message...

> You would see that you don't need to know where the TIF is located.

That's a bit like saying that one doesn't need to know where the end of
the fuse is on the bomb... as long as you light something. :-)

Thanks though, I'll check your 'alt' keystroke approach the next time out...
after I've located the appropriate folders. My curiosity says that it would
be interesting to check for any differences between the two views.

DM
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 3:04:47 AM

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:eNEg1mGdFHA.892@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Robert
>
> The default is C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files.. David has not gotten around to moving
> it yet..

In fact if you're going to make him type it out the default is
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\
That way he doesn't have to tell you which partition he is booting from
or, if his user data is on a separate partition, where it is.

The point is that Alt-T,O,Alt-S,V is shorter to enter and works for *all* cases
(at least for English versions of Windows which haven't disabled the Internet Options
dialog, etc. , etc. <EG>).

Robert
---
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 7:32:42 AM

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:eNEg1mGdFHA.892@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Robert
>
> The default is C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary
> Internet Files.. David has not gotten around to moving it yet..

Mike,

I realize that I've already consumed a lot of time from you that would
have likely been better spent answering other questions... but until I
get that book and examine the system further, do you mind if I ask
another question or two here inside this thread?

What's this about "moving it" ?

I've already found one file path for TIFs that's totally empty along with
it's subfolders. When I go to the site again later tomorrow and follow
the above path, I assume that I will find the data I was after. If so,
what reason would I have for moving it ?

Thanks,

DM
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 7:32:43 AM

David

I was kidding.. you don't want to move it anywhere.. you can if disk space
is really short or you just want to keep stuff for long periods, I guess,
but there are times when you have to clear it.. in this way, it will never
become too large

Re. Robert's keyboard shortcuts, ALT-T-O works on mine.. you can also access
Internet Options through Control Panel.. while you are there, you might want
to reduce the working size of the cache to 70Mb.. Windows installation sets
it at 600Mb which is a little silly unless you have whopping drives.. for
DSL (Broadband), you would set a smaller figure as access back to somewhere
is so fast..

I have a page that I am sure you will appreciate..

http://www.petri.co.il/customize_a_new_xp_installation.... .. lots of useful
tips there.. also..

Kelly's Korner..

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm .. lots of things there too..

Good luck..

--

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Robert
>>
>> The default is C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local
>> Settings\Temporary
>> Internet Files.. David has not gotten around to moving it yet..
>

> Mike,
>
> I realize that I've already consumed a lot of time from you that would
> have likely been better spent answering other questions... but until I
> get that book and examine the system further, do you mind if I ask
> another question or two here inside this thread?
>
> What's this about "moving it" ?
>
> I've already found one file path for TIFs that's totally empty along with
> it's subfolders. When I go to the site again later tomorrow and follow
> the above path, I assume that I will find the data I was after. If so,
> what reason would I have for moving it ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> DM

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 8:11:22 AM

"Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message news:o N40F%23HdFHA.3156@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:eNEg1mGdFHA.892@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Robert
> >
> > The default is C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\
> > Temporary Internet Files.. David has not gotten around to moving
> > it yet..

> In fact if you're going to make him type it out the default is
> %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\
> That way he doesn't have to tell you which partition he is booting from
> or, if his user data is on a separate partition, where it is.

> The point is that Alt-T,O,Alt-S,V is shorter to enter and works for *all* cases
> (at least for English versions of Windows which haven't disabled the Internet Options
> dialog, etc. , etc. <EG>).

Hi Robert,

I realize that half of the hooplah over XP is the advantages it offers for
multiple users and security on a single machine.

I'm a new user and have only completed one short session on XP.
Unfortunately, for my present situation of desiring to learn the OS,
it's an OEM box that came pre-loaded with gobs of software. This
is preventing me from being able to see the heart of XP in it's empty
state, and there is only a 'restore' disc.

In my case, there is one user only and absolutely no reason what so
ever to hide any files. As a matter of fact, I'd like to be able to navigate
with a directory tree and see the entire contents of the PC at any given
time. I'm not even sure that this can be done on XP.

Once I conquer the new file paths, I'll be in better shape for framing
my questions with more intelligibility.

I have much to learn, but I'm not afraid of telling anyone anything
they need to know to help me get started. It's not as if anyone here
is going to drop by the house and fire up the XP box in order to steal
the diamonds from behind door #2. ;-)

DM
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 9:03:21 AM

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message...

> I was kidding..

Got me! ;-)

I'm definitely laughing now, but you had me *totally* wrecked for a while.

DM

PS: *Many* thanks for the links....
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 9:40:19 AM

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message...

> I have a page that I am sure you will appreciate..
>
> http://www.petri.co.il/customize_a_new_xp_installation.... .. lots of useful
> tips there..

Is there a version of this available that doesn't require
the Hebrew text support?
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 3:52:17 PM

David

I wan't aware that I have Hebrew support here.. the page should just load..
try a refresh..

--

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message...
>
>> I have a page that I am sure you will appreciate..
>>
>> http://www.petri.co.il/customize_a_new_xp_installation.... .. lots of
>> useful
>> tips there..
>

> Is there a version of this available that doesn't require
> the Hebrew text support?

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 9:48:33 PM

I even bypassed Zone Alarm in the event it might have contributed
to the blank page. I'm prompted by the IE6 Install On Demand
wizard that I must download the Hebrew text support option.
When I refuse, the page loads blank... same on a refresh.

I've been storing away some of the links supplied by respondents
for the past couple of days... I hope I don't have to use them, but
I'm finding some useful tips, just in case.

I am beginning to understand why you were looking for the most
glib aspects of my initial post... there really *are* people who do
some odd-ball things. Like the guy that has so much software
installed that his start menus can't expand far enough to view it
all!! (Can you say 'crash-in-the-making'?) Or the poor chap who
moved his start menu folder - by accident, of course...... or the
young fellow who upgraded every driver, every piece of software
and his BIOS, because a GAME wouldn't load ?!?! Wheeew.

You have my sympathies. ;-)

DM

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:%23h%23TabOdFHA.2556@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> David
>
> I wan't aware that I have Hebrew support here.. the page should just load..
> try a refresh..
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 9:48:34 PM

David

If it asks for hebrew support, accept it.. there are no performance losses,
and you can only gain by having access to this site and others that may
require it.. the same applies to any language support asked for..

--

>I even bypassed Zone Alarm in the event it might have contributed
> to the blank page. I'm prompted by the IE6 Install On Demand
> wizard that I must download the Hebrew text support option.
> When I refuse, the page loads blank... same on a refresh.
>
> I've been storing away some of the links supplied by respondents
> for the past couple of days... I hope I don't have to use them, but
> I'm finding some useful tips, just in case.
>
> I am beginning to understand why you were looking for the most
> glib aspects of my initial post... there really *are* people who do
> some odd-ball things. Like the guy that has so much software
> installed that his start menus can't expand far enough to view it
> all!! (Can you say 'crash-in-the-making'?) Or the poor chap who
> moved his start menu folder - by accident, of course...... or the
> young fellow who upgraded every driver, every piece of software
> and his BIOS, because a GAME wouldn't load ?!?! Wheeew.
>
> You have my sympathies. ;-)
>
> DM
>

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> David
>>
>> I wan't aware that I have Hebrew support here.. the page should just
>> load..
>> try a refresh..

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 10:35:37 PM

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:eNEg1mGdFHA.892@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> The default is C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary
> Internet Files..

A friend of mine from the pro audio group wrote me back yesterday
and gave me a few possible reasons for my initial querry, starting
with this one (I thought you might get a kick out of it) .....

<<<
1: You're in the wrong folder. XP creates folders for the Default User,
the User that's logged on, Users that aren't logged on but could, a
generic user, the User's spouse, the spouse's yoga partner, and a
temporary temp file (not to be confused with the persistent temp file)
for temp files that it only needs temporarily. It also creates folders
in more than one place at a time (Documents and Settings, the User tree,
MSsomethingorother and a CD that it burns during the night and hides
under the hard drive) and arbitrarily chooses what it puts where.

Needless to say, I'm beginning to see the differences... *and* why this
OS is consuming over 4 gigabytes.

DM
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 10:35:38 PM

David

XP is a far more intensive OS than ever the Win 9x family was.. the user is
able to link to various locations from more than one place in some
instances, but this does not make up the bulk of the OS.. it has built in
support for may functions, and trust me, if it didn't there would be cries
about that..
It can recover from major upsets in a way that Win 9x couldn't if you just
typed a letter twice at the DOS prompt.. the fact that it uses the Microsoft
'Windows' brand name belies the differences that one would expect between
Unix and Win 9x..

Even Linux installations are loaded with all kinds of stuff 'just in case'..

What let XP down at the beginning was manufacturers unwillingness to provide
drivers.. the same is happening to Windows X64 presently.. this is an issue
outside of Microsoft, and don't consider that MS are any happier about the
situation than 'would be' users are..

--

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>
>> The default is C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local
>> Settings\Temporary
>> Internet Files..
>

> A friend of mine from the pro audio group wrote me back yesterday
> and gave me a few possible reasons for my initial querry, starting
> with this one (I thought you might get a kick out of it) .....
>
> <<<
> 1: You're in the wrong folder. XP creates folders for the Default User,
> the User that's logged on, Users that aren't logged on but could, a
> generic user, the User's spouse, the spouse's yoga partner, and a
> temporary temp file (not to be confused with the persistent temp file)
> for temp files that it only needs temporarily. It also creates folders
> in more than one place at a time (Documents and Settings, the User tree,
> MSsomethingorother and a CD that it burns during the night and hides
> under the hard drive) and arbitrarily chooses what it puts where.
>>>>

> Needless to say, I'm beginning to see the differences... *and* why this
> OS is consuming over 4 gigabytes.
>
> DM

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 9:29:57 AM

Thanks Mike,

I'm gonna' trust you on this one. Keeping very streamlined boxes
that are virtually dedicated to specific functions is probably a major
reason I've never found too much fault with earlier OS's. With all the
language support available, I've never added any of it. When those
occasions arose, for me, the vast majority of web pages would still
load up, even though in their native text - most of which still contained
enough english to navigate. I'll give this a whirl...

DM

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message...

> David
>
> If it asks for hebrew support, accept it.. there are no performance losses,
> and you can only gain by having access to this site and others that may
> require it.. the same applies to any language support asked for..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User

> "David Morgan (MAMS)" <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com>...
> >
> > I even bypassed Zone Alarm in the event it might have contributed
> > to the blank page. I'm prompted by the IE6 Install On Demand
> > wizard that I must download the Hebrew text support option.
> > When I refuse, the page loads blank... same on a refresh.
> >
> > I've been storing away some of the links supplied by respondents
> > for the past couple of days... I hope I don't have to use them, but
> > I'm finding some useful tips, just in case.
> >
> > I am beginning to understand why you were looking for the most
> > glib aspects of my initial post... there really *are* people who do
> > some odd-ball things. Like the guy that has so much software
> > installed that his start menus can't expand far enough to view it
> > all!! (Can you say 'crash-in-the-making'?) Or the poor chap who
> > moved his start menu folder - by accident, of course...... or the
> > young fellow who upgraded every driver, every piece of software
> > and his BIOS, because a GAME wouldn't load ?!?! Wheeew.
> >
> > You have my sympathies. ;-)
> >
> > DM

> > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> >> David
> >>
> >> I wan't aware that I have Hebrew support here.. the page should just
> >> load.. try a refresh..

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 9:40:56 AM

One thing that I'm really not used to seeing, is the recommendation
to reload Windows (and certainly not the "repair" function). The only
time I've touched my 98SE disc in four years has been to add protocol
for my DSL. I'm used to the concept of loading Windows on top of
itself, as a method of repair, was a no-no. I guess you can tell, I'd
rather find and fix the problem, and learn something in the process,
than take such an unsure and easy way out.

SFC has been my best friend. Am I going to run into oddities with
the XP SFC due to the multiple user issue?

I noticed another unfamiliar term while reading tonight.... "Hive" (?)
If you have time, any insight appreciated. <I'm about Googled out>

Thanks again,

DM

!