local .chm files stopped working with network-type message

When I open .chm files (that I know have worked fine in the past) these
days, they open but all the contents are

"Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The
page might be temporarily unavailable." etc. (full page message)

Has anyone come across this ?

(XP Pro, SP2)

Mike Walsh, Helsinki, Finland

Mike,

> I have no idea what this had to do with it but here's what cleared it.
>
> Go to File Types; .chm; Advanced; unclick "Confirm open after download";
> Save
>
> just what this has to do with content not showing I don't know, but there it
> is.

If you installed security update 896358 in the last day or two then
that would cause the problem you described. See:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=902225
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=896358

--
Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)

Typical. You try all kinds of things. Look it up in Goggle and then finally
post.

Two minutes later you have the solution.

"Mike Walsh" <englantilainen@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I open .chm files (that I know have worked fine in the past) these
> days, they open but all the contents are
>
> "Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The
> page might be temporarily unavailable." etc. (full page message)
>
> Has anyone come across this ?
>
> (XP Pro, SP2)
>

> Mike Walsh, Helsinki, Finland

Good info, thank you.

I'll add this one for lurkers.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892675/

which is

"Certain HTML Help features may not work on some Web sites after you install
security update MS05-026 or security update MS05-001"