AGP vs PCIe

Jiyo

Distinguished
May 24, 2005
Jus got a new computer, havent messed with it, stock video card and know very little, how do you tell if you need an AGP or PCI video card? I know its stupid, but help me out. Thanks

cleeve

Illustrious
Is it a brand name? If so, what model is it?

If it's a generic computer assembled by your local computer shop, open it up (if it won't void your warranty) and find out what the model of the motherboard is. It should be in fairly big white letters somewhere on the main board.

Jiyo

Distinguished
May 24, 2005
No, its a pretty Dell order like 9 months ago. Video card is like an intel extreme 2. Also, ive got 512 ram, how much is another 512 typical to cost me? Thanks again

cleeve

Illustrious
Dell? It might not take either AGP OR PCI-e, it might not have a graphics expansion slot at all... Intel extreme graphics are embedded on the motherboard.

You need to find the computer's model number to find out.

512 megs of RAM? Not that much anymore, I haven't bought in a while but I'm thinking it's under the $50 mark for generic stuff...

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
You can get 512MB for around $40 at newegg for generic or "value" stuff If you have a manual for it check what speed of RAM the motherboard supports and which do you currently have.

Without the model number we can't help you much

Nothing is as easy as it looks

Jiyo

Distinguished
May 24, 2005
Alright, called dell, need pci. Lookin at spending right around 100, mebbe 125. I've checked around and nvidia 6600 (256 or 128) seems a popular recommendation. As for ram, does it make any difference if its "generic?"

pauldh

Illustrious
Ouch, I hope it's not a 2400 or 3000. If so, most likely it won't have an AGP or PCI-e slot and you'll pretty much be stuck with lousy gaming performance.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=658042" target="_new">3DMark05</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3781954" target="_new">3DMark03</A>

cleeve

Illustrious
Is that PCI-express, or just old PCI?...

If it's PCI-express, you can get all sorts of nifty cards. The 6600 is a good choice for sure.

If it's the old PCI (not express), the best you can hope for is an old Geforce 5700... if you can find a PCI card.

Generic RAM is usually great as long as you don't plan to go dual-channel with it, or overclock it.

pauldh

Illustrious
With a 4600 you should have either a PCi-e or AGP slot. Check again with Dell; maybe try one of their system configuartion utilities from their support site. Or if you are determined to upgrade, pop open the case and see which one you have. As long as it's not those tiny slim 4600C models, you should be able to upgrade to a decent full height gaming card. I usually think of the 4600's as having AGP and the 4700's having PCI-e, but by no means is that set in stone as there may have been an overlap.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=658042" target="_new">3DMark05</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3781954" target="_new">3DMark03</A>

RichPLS

Champion
Kewl, dude, ya got a Dell!
Trust me, it is much simpler this way, ya made the right choice!

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>