restore failure

my cd-rom driver is corrupted and my computer no longer recognizes my cd-rom.
I have tried "driver restore" and system restore many times and I just get
the message that the system could not be restored. This is very frustrating.
The error code I get is "error 39". Does anybody know what that means and
how to correct the problem?
4 answers Last reply
More about restore failure

    some info?
    What OS are you running?

    "gary" <gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > my cd-rom driver is corrupted and my computer no longer recognizes my
    > cd-rom.
    > I have tried "driver restore" and system restore many times and I just get
    > the message that the system could not be restored. This is very
    > frustrating.
    > The error code I get is "error 39". Does anybody know what that means and
    > how to correct the problem?

    How are you so confident it is the driver and not the drive? Have you tried
    the drive in a different computer?

    My OS is WindowsXP home edition. My computer is a dell and is only about six
    months old. It came with a Samsung CD-R/RW SW-252S drive. I've tried to
    restore the driver with what Dell calls the "drive restore" program that came
    with the OEM software, but to no avail.

    "jsc3489" wrote:

    > some info?
    > What OS are you running?
    >

    > "gary" wrote:
    >
    > > my cd-rom driver is corrupted and my computer no longer recognizes my cd-rom.
    > > I have tried "driver restore" and system restore many times and I just get
    > > the message that the system could not be restored. This is very frustrating.
    > > The error code I get is "error 39". Does anybody know what that means and
    > > how to correct the problem?

    Alan,
    I don't know for sure that it isn't the hardware that's the problem. The
    computer is only about six months old (Dell Dimension 4700, WindowsXP home),
    so how likely is it that it would be the hardware and not the software?

    "Alan Smith" wrote:

    > "gary" <gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > my cd-rom driver is corrupted and my computer no longer recognizes my
    > > cd-rom.
    > > I have tried "driver restore" and system restore many times and I just get
    > > the message that the system could not be restored. This is very
    > > frustrating.
    > > The error code I get is "error 39". Does anybody know what that means and
    > > how to correct the problem?
    >
    > How are you so confident it is the driver and not the drive? Have you tried
    > the drive in a different computer?

CD-Rom Windows XP