restore failure

June 16, 2005 12:09:01 PM

my cd-rom driver is corrupted and my computer no longer recognizes my cd-rom.
I have tried "driver restore" and system restore many times and I just get
the message that the system could not be restored. This is very frustrating.
The error code I get is "error 39". Does anybody know what that means and
how to correct the problem?

More about : restore failure

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 5:21:06 PM

some info?
What OS are you running?

"gary" wrote:

> my cd-rom driver is corrupted and my computer no longer recognizes my cd-rom.
> I have tried "driver restore" and system restore many times and I just get
> the message that the system could not be restored. This is very frustrating.
> The error code I get is "error 39". Does anybody know what that means and
> how to correct the problem?
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 8:15:33 PM

"gary" <gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my cd-rom driver is corrupted and my computer no longer recognizes my
> cd-rom.
> I have tried "driver restore" and system restore many times and I just get
> the message that the system could not be restored. This is very
> frustrating.
> The error code I get is "error 39". Does anybody know what that means and
> how to correct the problem?

How are you so confident it is the driver and not the drive? Have you tried
the drive in a different computer?
Related resources
June 17, 2005 12:56:37 AM

My OS is WindowsXP home edition. My computer is a dell and is only about six
months old. It came with a Samsung CD-R/RW SW-252S drive. I've tried to
restore the driver with what Dell calls the "drive restore" program that came
with the OEM software, but to no avail.

"jsc3489" wrote:

> some info?
> What OS are you running?
>

> "gary" wrote:
>
> > my cd-rom driver is corrupted and my computer no longer recognizes my cd-rom.
> > I have tried "driver restore" and system restore many times and I just get
> > the message that the system could not be restored. This is very frustrating.
> > The error code I get is "error 39". Does anybody know what that means and
> > how to correct the problem?
June 17, 2005 12:58:21 AM

Alan,
I don't know for sure that it isn't the hardware that's the problem. The
computer is only about six months old (Dell Dimension 4700, WindowsXP home),
so how likely is it that it would be the hardware and not the software?

!