Anyone seen this before?

Tanthalus

Distinguished
May 26, 2005
Rcently I've been having problems with my Geforce4 Ti4600 graphics card. It intermittently loses the ability to perform Direct3D operations, crashing any 3D program I have running. If I manage to close the program rather than the computer simply locking up, it cannot start another program requiring 3D operations (attempting to start another program after a crash was how I discovered the cause of the lock). Simply rebooting the machine fixes the problem every time, however sometimes the crashes are as frequent as every 15-20 minutes while other times it can go hours with no problem. I'm not certain whether this could be caused by a driver issue or if the card simply is on its last legs. Any ideas are appreciated.

Ehron Wright

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Find the latest driver, uninstall and reinstall. Also, crack open the case blow out the agp slot and video card, reseat the card.

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX (Dual Channel)/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax Noisetaker/ Dual Mitsubishi 21 Inch Monitors</b></font color=blue>

cleeve

Illustrious
Check and make sure the card's fan hasn't died...