New XP install

Hi all, I'm putting a new 80gig hard drive in my friend's 4 year old Dell
laptop. I'm going to do a fresh XP install but she's not sure if she still
has the original discs. Do Dell machines require a specific Dell XP install
or can I install regular XP?

Thanks,

More about install

    Buddee wrote:
    > Hi all, I'm putting a new 80gig hard drive in my friend's 4 year old Dell
    > laptop. I'm going to do a fresh XP install but she's not sure if she still
    > has the original discs. Do Dell machines require a specific Dell XP install
    > or can I install regular XP?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Any retail version will install okay on a Dell.
    ricardo

    "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
    > Buddee wrote:
    >> Hi all, I'm putting a new 80gig hard drive in my friend's 4 year old Dell
    >> laptop. I'm going to do a fresh XP install but she's not sure if she
    >> still has the original discs. Do Dell machines require a specific Dell XP
    >> install or can I install regular XP?
    >>
    >> Thanks,

    > Any retail version will install okay on a Dell.
    > ricardo

    But you'll be paying for another license! Better to use an OEM version and
    the sticker on the machine's COA

    the windows xp serial number found on a sticker attached to a system works
    with oem editions of windows xp cd (versions that came bundled with a new
    computer). the retail version of windows xp will not accept the oem serial
    number (and vice versa). but your friends "4 year old dell" probably
    doesn't even have an xp serial number (license) so you will need one.

    > "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
    >> Buddee wrote:
    >>> Hi all, I'm putting a new 80gig hard drive in my friend's 4 year old
    >>> Dell laptop. I'm going to do a fresh XP install but she's not sure if
    >>> she still has the original discs. Do Dell machines require a specific
    >>> Dell XP install or can I install regular XP?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,

    >> Any retail version will install okay on a Dell.
    >> ricardo
    >
    > But you'll be paying for another license! Better to use an OEM version
    > and the sticker on the machine's COA

Dell Windows XP Hard Drives Computers