  • Hard Drives
  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
March 29, 2005 3:00:34 AM

Hi all, I'm putting a new 80gig hard drive in my friend's 4 year old Dell
laptop. I'm going to do a fresh XP install but she's not sure if she still
has the original discs. Do Dell machines require a specific Dell XP install
or can I install regular XP?

Thanks,

More about : install

March 29, 2005 10:21:47 PM

Buddee wrote:
> Hi all, I'm putting a new 80gig hard drive in my friend's 4 year old Dell
> laptop. I'm going to do a fresh XP install but she's not sure if she still
> has the original discs. Do Dell machines require a specific Dell XP install
> or can I install regular XP?
>
> Thanks,

Any retail version will install okay on a Dell.
ricardo
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 10:21:48 PM

"ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
> Buddee wrote:
>> Hi all, I'm putting a new 80gig hard drive in my friend's 4 year old Dell
>> laptop. I'm going to do a fresh XP install but she's not sure if she
>> still has the original discs. Do Dell machines require a specific Dell XP
>> install or can I install regular XP?
>>
>> Thanks,

> Any retail version will install okay on a Dell.
> ricardo

But you'll be paying for another license! Better to use an OEM version and
the sticker on the machine's COA
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 10:21:49 PM

the windows xp serial number found on a sticker attached to a system works
with oem editions of windows xp cd (versions that came bundled with a new
computer). the retail version of windows xp will not accept the oem serial
number (and vice versa). but your friends "4 year old dell" probably
doesn't even have an xp serial number (license) so you will need one.