10th user unable to connect to XP Pro machine

June 16, 2005 4:19:07 PM

We are having the following problem:

The 10th user is unable to log into an XP Pro machine running as a server.
The user list shows 9 users connected and the 10th user receives this message:

"No more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time
because there are already as many connections as the computer can accept"

When all ten systems are connected, both netstat and net session show only 9
users connected, with the 10th unable to connect. Netstat shows the 9 IP
addresses of the connected users. Net session does not show any local user
connected (logged in as Administrator). This system is not used by anyone,
and there aren't mappings to any shares on it.

Also tried logging out of the system and leaving it at the login screen -
this made no difference; still only 9 users allowed.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:20:16 AM

"kazer98" <kazer98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> We are having the following problem:
>
>The 10th user is unable to log into an XP Pro machine running as a server.
>The user list shows 9 users connected and the 10th user receives this message:
>
>"No more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time
>because there are already as many connections as the computer can accept"
>
>When all ten systems are connected, both netstat and net session show only 9
>users connected, with the 10th unable to connect. Netstat shows the 9 IP
>addresses of the connected users. Net session does not show any local user
>connected (logged in as Administrator). This system is not used by anyone,
>and there aren't mappings to any shares on it.
>
>Also tried logging out of the system and leaving it at the login screen -
>this made no difference; still only 9 users allowed.

If the server computer is running then there is a logged in user and
that is the 10th connection.

Insofar as I am aware the only ways to resolve your problems are to:
- switch to a server version of Windows
- switch to a Linux version for the server computer.

However you might try posting your question to
microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web as that is where the networking
experts tend to hang out.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 2:26:30 AM

9 users on "client" machines + 1 user on a file "server" = 10 concurrent
connections.

steve

"kazer98" <kazer98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are having the following problem:
>
> The 10th user is unable to log into an XP Pro machine running as a server.
> The user list shows 9 users connected and the 10th user receives this
> message:
>
> "No more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time
> because there are already as many connections as the computer can accept"
>
> When all ten systems are connected, both netstat and net session show only
> 9
> users connected, with the 10th unable to connect. Netstat shows the 9 IP
> addresses of the connected users. Net session does not show any local user
> connected (logged in as Administrator). This system is not used by anyone,
> and there aren't mappings to any shares on it.
>
> Also tried logging out of the system and leaving it at the login screen -
> this made no difference; still only 9 users allowed.
June 17, 2005 10:40:02 AM

So even logging out of this machine still uses a connection?

"Og" wrote:

> 9 users on "client" machines + 1 user on a file "server" = 10 concurrent
> connections.
>
> steve

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 10:41:02 AM

What if there is no logged in user on this machine?

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> If the server computer is running then there is a logged in user and
> that is the 10th connection.
>
> Insofar as I am aware the only ways to resolve your problems are to:
> - switch to a server version of Windows
> - switch to a Linux version for the server computer.
>
> However you might try posting your question to
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web as that is where the networking
> experts tend to hang out.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 12:10:58 AM

"kazer98" <kazer98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>What if there is no logged in user on this machine?

There must be a logged in user if Windows XP is running. Period.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 2:15:19 AM

Being logged off is irrelevant -- the computer is still live, so there it is
still logically a part of the network.

Try it for yourself: Log off of one machine. Go to another machine and ping
the IP address of the machine where no one is logged onto -- you will get a
reply from the machine without a user logged in.

!