Question....which one?

RodT

Distinguished
May 24, 2005
OK, I am not the greatest in knowledge of computers...so here goes, whats better...e-GeForce FX 5200 128 MB AGP 8X/4X DDR by nVIDIA or ATI Radeeon 9250 256 MB DDR ? I have the ATI with a PCI connector but, I may be able to return it and get AGP. Any suggestions...I use it for Flight Sim 2004.
Thanks.

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Both are pretty weak choices for gaming.

But I'd choose the nVidia card because (1) it's AGP, and (2) 256MB of video ram (ATI card)is useless on such low-level cards.

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X215)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
1 gig Corsair XMS PC3200
eVGA 6800GT
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win2K sp4

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
you can get better airflow in your case using flat ribbon cables.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

cleeve

Illustrious
First, find out if either of those cards has a crappy 64-bit memory bus. The card with the 128-bit memory bus is the winner.

If they both have a 128-bit bus, it doesn't matter all that much which card to keep.

If they both have a 64-bit bus, return the 9250 and get something else... like a cheap 128-bit Radeon 9550, which would absolutely slaughter them both.

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
intruiging, explain please...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ribbon cables are usually less than 1mm thick, round cables are usually around 12-15mm thick. So cooling around ribbon cables depends on positioning, air moves better over a 1mm thick object than a 15mm thick object.

Yes, I fold them out of the way.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The round cables I've used are very difficult to bend in narrow spaces, for example, when you have 2 CD drives stacked and the cable ends are 4" apart.

RichPLS

Champion
Agree with Crash, they are not more flexible, but do look much cooler and help keep case cooler by allowing better airflow.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

pauldh

Illustrious
I agree with you, but also feel it depends on mobo layout. Some are just a bear to make ribbon cables lay flat for air flow, and even worse for makeing them look neat if a acrylic panels is used. Other mobos, ribbon cables can be flattened almost totally out of the way of airflow. Of course some manufacturers don't even recomend round cables be used with their devices.

Also, the comment on dual optical drives and round cables sure is true for me too. I prefer single device round cables as the 4-6" between devices on a thick round (2- device)cable can be almost impossible to postion as desired.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=658042" target="_new">3DMark05</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3781954" target="_new">3DMark03</A>

TRENDING THREADS