Free (ftp) server software

I need to set up an FTP server. Are tehre any good free ftp server software
around? I have Windows 2000. What about passwordable HTML servers? The server is
for one user only to download weather data.
11 answers Last reply
More about free server software

    123 wrote:
    > I need to set up an FTP server. Are tehre any good free ftp server software
    > around? I have Windows 2000. What about passwordable HTML servers? The server is
    > for one user only to download weather data.

    Cygwin includes a couple options for FTP servers; what I suggest is to
    simply setup SSH as a service and that will simultaneously setup a SFTP
    (Secure FTP -- FTP tunnelled over SSH) daemon. You'll also have the
    added benefit of being able to SSH into the machine as well as SCP.

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:16:06 +0300, 123 wrote:

    > I need to set up an FTP server. Are tehre any good free ftp server software
    > around? I have Windows 2000. What about passwordable HTML servers? The server is
    > for one user only to download weather data.

    Look for FileZilla, does users, bandwidth limits, user groups, etc... All
    free, all outside the Windows OS.

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/

    "123" <bogus@mail.address.com> wrote in message
    >I need to set up an FTP server. Are tehre any good free ftp server software
    > around? I have Windows 2000. What about passwordable HTML servers? The
    > server is
    > for one user only to download weather data.

    Filezilla should do the trick for a freestanding and free FTP server. I've used
    it a lot as an FTP client, and it is very good. Runs on Windows 95 and up.

    Unless I misunderstand how the world operates, there are two choices for
    passwordable HTML server operation. I ***think*** one can FTP into a Filezilla
    server from a browser using ftp://etc . And Filezilla will ask for a password.
    I have not tried it myself. If this does not work, then the only other option
    may be full-blown Apache.

    To keep things simple on your end, you can mandate that the client user(s) of
    your FTP service must use Filezilla as a client to communicate with your
    Filezilla server. That way, if FTPee-ing to a Filezilla server from a browser
    client does not work, you have a viable solution with minimal work on your part.
    And a Filezilla client is remarkably easy to use on a repetitive basis once it
    is set up with the FTP server name, user name, and user password. The latter
    are also easy, but they need to be done only once... Ben Myers

    <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:42497c3e.9802494@nntp.charter.net...

    > Unless I misunderstand how the world operates, there are two choices for
    > passwordable HTML server operation.

    Perhaps he meant *HTTP* servers which offer password protection.

    > I ***think*** one can FTP into a Filezilla
    > server from a browser using ftp://etc . And Filezilla will ask for a password.
    > I have not tried it myself.

    It should if the browser has a handler for the ftp scheme and said ftp client
    plays nice (the FTP server doesn't have to do anything special). I haven't
    hit any major snags with IE or Opera, but last I checked, Mozilla/Firefox
    still had some issues wrt prompting for user+pass.

    > If this does not work, then the only other option may be full-blown Apache.

    FWIW, I've come across quite a few freeware and open source HTTP
    servers, including some geared toward simple file sharing. I suspect that
    some of them are robust and pretty easy to use, but I couldn't say which
    ones. There is a feather sticking out of my box.

    Nicholas Andrade wrote:
    > 123 wrote:
    >
    >> I need to set up an FTP server. Are tehre any good free ftp server
    >> software
    >> around? I have Windows 2000. What about passwordable HTML servers? The
    >> server is
    >> for one user only to download weather data.
    >

    > Cygwin includes a couple options for FTP servers; what I suggest is to
    > simply setup SSH as a service and that will simultaneously setup a SFTP
    > (Secure FTP -- FTP tunnelled over SSH) daemon. You'll also have the
    > added benefit of being able to SSH into the machine as well as SCP.

    Whoops, I forgot to add Apache is the way to go for a web server (it's
    also available as a package for Cygwin).

    wrote:

    >I need to set up an FTP server. Are tehre any good free ftp server software
    >around? I have Windows 2000. What about passwordable HTML servers? The server is
    >for one user only to download weather data.

    I second filezilla. But if you are using windows 2000, how about
    installing IIS (patched of course) and using FTP from it?

    "jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)" <jimtehma@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >http://www.pureftpd.org/
    >
    >Download:
    >http://www.pureftpd.org/windows/
    >http://www.pureftpd.org/windows/pure-ftpd-1.0.16b.zip
    >
    >Jim

    I tried PureFTP. How does it work? It appears to be a console program. All I get
    from it is a black screen after c:\fir\pure-ftpd[Enter]

    123 wrote:

    > "jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)" <jimtehma@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.pureftpd.org/
    >>
    >>Download:
    >>http://www.pureftpd.org/windows/
    >>http://www.pureftpd.org/windows/pure-ftpd-1.0.16b.zip
    >>
    >>Jim
    >

    > I tried PureFTP. How does it work? It appears to be a console program. All I get
    > from it is a black screen after c:\fir\pure-ftpd[Enter]

    I've never used the software, but I'm inclined to say it's a daemon (MS
    calls them Services) that's meant to be backgrounded. As to how you
    background a process in Windows, I beleive you simply call the command
    and follow it with an ampersand (eg. pure-ftpd &) -- that is how you do
    it in unix. To test it, from the same dos prompt you can type: ftp
    127.0.0.1 (MS includes a FTP client with windows).

    read "README.Virtual-Users.txt" for how to use pure-pw to edit
    "pureftpd.pdb" and create virtual users
    and "README.Windows.txt" for how to use pureftpd on Windows

    then have it read "pureftpd.pdb" when you start it
    for example: pure-ftpd -lpuredb:/etc/pureftpd.pdb

    jim

Dell FTP Servers Software Computers