Free (ftp) server software

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I need to set up an FTP server. Are tehre any good free ftp server software
around? I have Windows 2000. What about passwordable HTML servers? The server is
for one user only to download weather data.

123 wrote:
> I need to set up an FTP server. Are tehre any good free ftp server software
> around? I have Windows 2000. What about passwordable HTML servers? The server is
> for one user only to download weather data.

Cygwin includes a couple options for FTP servers; what I suggest is to
simply setup SSH as a service and that will simultaneously setup a SFTP
(Secure FTP -- FTP tunnelled over SSH) daemon. You'll also have the
added benefit of being able to SSH into the machine as well as SCP.

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:16:06 +0300, 123 wrote:

> I need to set up an FTP server. Are tehre any good free ftp server software
> around? I have Windows 2000. What about passwordable HTML servers? The server is
> for one user only to download weather data.

Look for FileZilla, does users, bandwidth limits, user groups, etc... All
free, all outside the Windows OS.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/

"123" <bogus@mail.address.com> wrote in message
>I need to set up an FTP server. Are tehre any good free ftp server software
> around? I have Windows 2000. What about passwordable HTML servers? The
> server is
> for one user only to download weather data.

Filezilla should do the trick for a freestanding and free FTP server. I've used
it a lot as an FTP client, and it is very good. Runs on Windows 95 and up.

Unless I misunderstand how the world operates, there are two choices for
passwordable HTML server operation. I ***think*** one can FTP into a Filezilla
server from a browser using ftp://etc . And Filezilla will ask for a password.
I have not tried it myself. If this does not work, then the only other option
may be full-blown Apache.

To keep things simple on your end, you can mandate that the client user(s) of
your FTP service must use Filezilla as a client to communicate with your
Filezilla server. That way, if FTPee-ing to a Filezilla server from a browser
client does not work, you have a viable solution with minimal work on your part.
And a Filezilla client is remarkably easy to use on a repetitive basis once it
is set up with the FTP server name, user name, and user password. The latter
are also easy, but they need to be done only once... Ben Myers

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:42497c3e.9802494@nntp.charter.net...

> Unless I misunderstand how the world operates, there are two choices for
> passwordable HTML server operation.

Perhaps he meant *HTTP* servers which offer password protection.

> I ***think*** one can FTP into a Filezilla
> server from a browser using ftp://etc . And Filezilla will ask for a password.
> I have not tried it myself.

It should if the browser has a handler for the ftp scheme and said ftp client
plays nice (the FTP server doesn't have to do anything special). I haven't
hit any major snags with IE or Opera, but last I checked, Mozilla/Firefox
still had some issues wrt prompting for user+pass.

> If this does not work, then the only other option may be full-blown Apache.

FWIW, I've come across quite a few freeware and open source HTTP
servers, including some geared toward simple file sharing. I suspect that
some of them are robust and pretty easy to use, but I couldn't say which
ones. There is a feather sticking out of my box.

Nicholas Andrade wrote:
> 123 wrote:
>
>> I need to set up an FTP server. Are tehre any good free ftp server
>> software
>> around? I have Windows 2000. What about passwordable HTML servers? The
>> server is
>> for one user only to download weather data.
>

> Cygwin includes a couple options for FTP servers; what I suggest is to
> simply setup SSH as a service and that will simultaneously setup a SFTP
> (Secure FTP -- FTP tunnelled over SSH) daemon. You'll also have the
> added benefit of being able to SSH into the machine as well as SCP.

Whoops, I forgot to add Apache is the way to go for a web server (it's
also available as a package for Cygwin).

wrote:

>I need to set up an FTP server. Are tehre any good free ftp server software
>around? I have Windows 2000. What about passwordable HTML servers? The server is
>for one user only to download weather data.

I second filezilla. But if you are using windows 2000, how about
installing IIS (patched of course) and using FTP from it?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)" <jimtehma@hotmail.com> wrote:

>http://www.pureftpd.org/
>
>Download:
>http://www.pureftpd.org/windows/
>http://www.pureftpd.org/windows/pure-ftpd-1.0.16b.zip
>
>Jim

I tried PureFTP. How does it work? It appears to be a console program. All I get
from it is a black screen after c:\fir\pure-ftpd[Enter]

123 wrote:

> "jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)" <jimtehma@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>http://www.pureftpd.org/
>>
>>Download:
>>http://www.pureftpd.org/windows/
>>http://www.pureftpd.org/windows/pure-ftpd-1.0.16b.zip
>>
>>Jim
>

> I tried PureFTP. How does it work? It appears to be a console program. All I get
> from it is a black screen after c:\fir\pure-ftpd[Enter]

I've never used the software, but I'm inclined to say it's a daemon (MS
calls them Services) that's meant to be backgrounded. As to how you
background a process in Windows, I beleive you simply call the command
and follow it with an ampersand (eg. pure-ftpd &) -- that is how you do
it in unix. To test it, from the same dos prompt you can type: ftp
127.0.0.1 (MS includes a FTP client with windows).

read "README.Virtual-Users.txt" for how to use pure-pw to edit
"pureftpd.pdb" and create virtual users
and "README.Windows.txt" for how to use pureftpd on Windows

then have it read "pureftpd.pdb" when you start it
for example: pure-ftpd -lpuredb:/etc/pureftpd.pdb

jim