128MB aperture: LIMITING?

Bongsquad

Distinguished
May 31, 2005
I have a new X800 XL (AGP) video card. The MB is use is a asus a7v600. The BIOS has automatically set the 'graphics aperture size' to 128 MB. I cannot change this value; also, the BIOS is up to date. The x800xl is 256-bit and has 256MB RAM...so my question is: does having a 128MB MB aperture limit the performance of my new video card? Do I need a new MB to take advantage of this card fully?

Bongsquad

Distinguished
May 31, 2005
1GB of RAM. The aperture size can matter... My friend has an asus MB similar to mine and there was a big performance hit if we set her BIOS graphics aperture size to 64MB when she had a 128MB card installed.

You seem to know enough about the subject at hand to answer the Q yourself then! :tongue:

Aperture size has never afected my performance.

[edit] there has been a ton of posts about this here - do a search[/edit]

Welcome to my Shed of Pleasure<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Ned_Flanders on 05/31/05 08:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

I agree with Ned, for modern cards doesn't make much difference due to the nature of AGP aperture and what it's used for. The cards that would be affected are so weak that it wouldn't make much difference, and even then only in benchmarking and the difference is minimal.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: