Gas Prices: Has it changed your habits w/ this hobby?

just curious to know how many of you have changed your buying habits
because of the high cost of gas these days..
i also found its much more difficult to get trades started---especially
over long distances.
from what i've been reading, were not going to see any signs of relief
until 08'.

im still in the hunt for a pong, pac land and a few other cab upgrades.
these are about the only games i would endure the higher shipping rates
for.

ronald

Ron Jr. wrote:
> just curious to know how many of you have changed your buying habits
> because of the high cost of gas these days..
> i also found its much more difficult to get trades started---especially
> over long distances.
> from what i've been reading, were not going to see any signs of relief
> until 08'.
>
> im still in the hunt for a pong, pac land and a few other cab upgrades.
> these are about the only games i would endure the higher shipping rates
> for.
>
> ronald

Not only have gas prices put a damper on the hobby, but also tolls will
kill ya.

JOhn

Sticker shock at Forward Air made me twice shy about shipping eBay
purchases. At $190 to ship five states away plus crating made shipping
more expensive than the game itself. That was last year and I doubt
prices have come down any. Local purchases and auctions are the only
way to go these days.

- Craig

The only thing that changed is the price of games and the cost to ship
them. IMO game prices have dropped alot since the republicans took over
[that was a dig]. Gamwes are pretty cheap compaired to the haydays of
clintons last term.
Forward Air and pilot have raised there prices with gas charges and
still reasonable but definatly not reasonable for a $350 game.

I was just thinking the same thing this weekend, we drove from Kansas
City to St. Louis in a Chevy Tahoe with a small trailer holding eight
games. The first fuel stop was $50, then starting back it was $50
again, then another $50 near Columbia, MO. I ended up with about the
same amount of gas I started with, so fuel cost were roughly $150.

It's certainly something you have to keep in mind since it can add up
quickly, especially with a trailer.

Mike Doyle

>Sticker shock at Forward Air made me twice shy about shipping eBay
>purchases

Try to use NAVL with more than one game. The price for one or two games
is about the same and they ship door to door.

Kirb

I was thinking mustard gas would be a better solution. Atleast we
wouldnt have to rebuild.
Its amazing we are still in Iraq. I feel bad for the boys, 1,2,3 years
from home for no real reason. We were hunting BinLaden if I recall
correctly.?........ They will let that guy die in the desert so he wont
become a matar so we will never see him go to trial...

>>my solution: withdraw from Iraq... dump a few nukes down each Arab
countries throats (ok.. we can wait on this and see if they'll behave
themselves... the first sign of them being dickheads... boom... no more

dickheads)... and dump $100 Billion a year for the next decade or so
and
crash course a working fusion reactor and build out the infrastructure
for
an electricity based economy... <<

As long as "big oil" is in control, you won't see any dramatic changes
in the energy policy of this country- that you can count on. What
always drives me nuts is seeing a spike in the price per gallon in
reaction to some tanker / pipeline / refinery accident. I've recently
worked on projects in the Middle East and South America that I *know*
will account for substantial increases in output, one platform I did
the transfer pump motors for will increase Brazil's output 10% alone
the day it comes online.

And yet the price continues to climb, totally against the economic
model. One conference I attended focused on hybrids as the answer,
which makes sense until a reasonable fuel cell is developed.

Mike DoyIe

bill

It hasn't really changed my habits yet. I've only been collecting for a few
years and have never made any major road trips for games (yet). In fact
everything I've bought so far has been 2 hrs or less away from home so it's
not been a terribly long drive. We're up to $2.55 here in Michigan.

"Ron Jr." <Cegron@webtv.net> wrote in message
> just curious to know how many of you have changed your buying habits
> because of the high cost of gas these days..
> i also found its much more difficult to get trades started---especially
> over long distances.
> from what i've been reading, were not going to see any signs of relief
> until 08'.
>
> im still in the hunt for a pong, pac land and a few other cab upgrades.
> these are about the only games i would endure the higher shipping rates
> for.
>
> ronald

What have you read that says we will get relief in 08'? I can think of one
thing that's going to change then but not sure how that's going to help.

"Ron Jr." <Cegron@webtv.net> wrote in message
> just curious to know how many of you have changed your buying habits
> because of the high cost of gas these days..
> i also found its much more difficult to get trades started---especially
> over long distances.
> from what i've been reading, were not going to see any signs of relief
> until 08'.
>
> im still in the hunt for a pong, pac land and a few other cab upgrades.
> these are about the only games i would endure the higher shipping rates
> for.
>
> ronald

Billions of dollars, our tax dollars, being spent in Iraq and we're stuck
paying $2.50-$3.00 a gallon for gas? Not to mention the double whammy if
you heat your home with fuel oil. I spent over $2000 for heat and hot water
last year alone. Makes no sense to me. And don't even get me started on
manufacturing jobs! If a bomb should be dropped, we should start right in
DC!

IMO
Pete

<syncbus@gmail.com> wrote in message
> As long as "big oil" is in control, you won't see any dramatic changes
> in the energy policy of this country- that you can count on. What
> always drives me nuts is seeing a spike in the price per gallon in
> reaction to some tanker / pipeline / refinery accident. I've recently
> worked on projects in the Middle East and South America that I *know*
> will account for substantial increases in output, one platform I did
> the transfer pump motors for will increase Brazil's output 10% alone
> the day it comes online.
>
> And yet the price continues to climb, totally against the economic
> model. One conference I attended focused on hybrids as the answer,
> which makes sense until a reasonable fuel cell is developed.
>
> Mike DoyIe

Don't get your hopes up. If the war and all the other whiny stuff
didn't oust the reps this time nothing will. So go smoke some pot and
collect your welfare checks and Play Games!

Transportation costs will never again be the same as they were.

Our only hope is that Congress (yeah... so much for hope as it's full of
uneducated lawyers...) realizes the importance of energy and funds it'
properly...

my solution: withdraw from Iraq... dump a few nukes down each Arab
countries throats (ok.. we can wait on this and see if they'll behave
themselves... the first sign of them being dickheads... boom... no more
dickheads)... and dump $100 Billion a year for the next decade or so and
crash course a working fusion reactor and build out the infrastructure for
an electricity based economy...

Airlines will still be problematic... but with almost free electricity much
of the current air traffic be replaced by ultra high-speed rail.

"arcadeguy" <arcadeguy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The only thing that changed is the price of games and the cost to ship
> them. IMO game prices have dropped alot since the republicans took over
> [that was a dig]. Gamwes are pretty cheap compaired to the haydays of
> clintons last term.
> Forward Air and pilot have raised there prices with gas charges and
> still reasonable but definatly not reasonable for a $350 game.

I think he may be referring to the next Presidential election to which I
concur.

"Matt Mac Donagh" <gamefixer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> What have you read that says we will get relief in 08'? I can think of one
> thing that's going to change then but not sure how that's going to help.
>
> "Ron Jr." <Cegron@webtv.net> wrote in message
> > just curious to know how many of you have changed your buying habits
> > because of the high cost of gas these days..
> > i also found its much more difficult to get trades started---especially
> > over long distances.
> > from what i've been reading, were not going to see any signs of relief
> > until 08'.
> >
> > im still in the hunt for a pong, pac land and a few other cab upgrades.
> > these are about the only games i would endure the higher shipping rates
> > for.
> >
> > ronald

Sorry, I don't smoke and don't collect, but I do game, thanks.

Pete

"Jadyre" <jadyre@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Don't get your hopes up. If the war and all the other whiny stuff
> didn't oust the reps this time nothing will. So go smoke some pot and
> collect your welfare checks and Play Games!

I finally got a vehicle large enough to hold one regular sized game... 20
city, 26 highway (compared with my 10 year old sedan that still gets 26
city, 36 highway).

However, I recently passed up 2 to 3 totally free stripped cabinets that
were only 140 miles away from me in the middle of nowhere for the both of us
(normally the closest freebies are 275 to 600 miles away).

If I could have hauled all 3 at once, I may have, but only being able to
take one, the gas milage on rural roads for a minimum 5 hour round trip
would have meant at least $26 PER cabinet in gas costs, not to mention
vehicle wear (@ 33 cents a mile) and of course time.

4 years ago I would have been there twice, or if they had been complete and
a good deal, but gutted isn't worth the effort and costs :(

I have a feeling a lot more games are going to become piles of broken down
garbage as it will no longer be feasable to pickup or ship for most things.

"Ron Jr." <Cegron@webtv.net> wrote in message
> just curious to know how many of you have changed your buying habits
> because of the high cost of gas these days..
> i also found its much more difficult to get trades started---especially
> over long distances.
> from what i've been reading, were not going to see any signs of relief
> until 08'.
>
> im still in the hunt for a pong, pac land and a few other cab upgrades.
> these are about the only games i would endure the higher shipping rates
> for.
>
> ronald

You guys crack me up big time when you start whinging about the price
of your fuel!!

Assuming the $2.55 is per gallon, that's around about 5 litres i think.

We're on £0.95 per litre, which to round it up to round figures puts
us up at around about the $10 per gallon price mark. Maybe $8 or $9 if
we're lucky.

Yesterday i took a 5 hour round trip to deliver some fixed PCBs and
pick up some chips (and obviously spend a pleasent day with another
collector, that would have been insanity otherwise).

Two weeks ago i did a two hour detour on top of another 5 hour round
trip for a Space Invaders mirror and a B&W monitor.

I have been known to do a 10 hour round trip for a Tron cab once too. 4
or 5 hour round trips are about the norm.

If you don't make the effort, you don't get anywhere!!

:)

Martin.
PS: I drive a car that costs £50 per tank of fuel too (roughly $100).
And, NO, I'm not loaded!!!

A liter is a little more then 1/4 of an american gallon (your gallons of
bigger... sigh... can't even get THAT straight... my biggest bitch about
living over there was trying to convert food recipies back and forth, even
those alread in "English" units).

Yes, you do have higher fuel costs over there then we do here... although
YOU can bitch about you're government taxing your fuel costs through the
roof... the gov't takes is share one way or another, your's just does it
through fuel more then ours...

still... you should join us in our $100 Billion push for fusion... cheap
electricity is where it's at.

If we DON'T convert to an electricity based economy in the near term (say 20
years) then fuel costs will make our way of life impossible (our country is
just MUCH bigger then European countries which makes public transport in all
but the biggest city's impracticle). There will be only one option left to
the US if we do not find alternate energy... war... plain and simple. If we
can't get it at a reasonable price then we will have to take it... right or
wrong that's what it will come down to. Don't be suprised if you see the
redevelopment of neutron enhanced atomics in the near future (to leave the
infrastructure alone)...

"Martin White" <guddler@gmail.com> wrote in message
[...]

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

You bet! I find that I go to fewer shows, auctions and swapmeets where, in
the past, I've found games. In fact I didn't go to CAExtreme this past
weekend, in part, because of the cost. $30 entry fee, $5 bridge toll,
$40 gas I've bought some of my best vids for less than this!

The high cost of fuel is permiating our economy, and will lead to
inflation. Thanks a lot GW Bush.

Steve

Ron Jr. <Cegron@webtv.net> wrote in message
> just curious to know how many of you have changed your buying habits
> because of the high cost of gas these days..
> i also found its much more difficult to get trades started---especially
> over long distances.
> from what i've been reading, were not going to see any signs of relief
> until 08'.
>
> im still in the hunt for a pong, pac land and a few other cab upgrades.
> these are about the only games i would endure the higher shipping rates
> for.
>
> ronald

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

I would say yes, with thte cost of fuel going up, normal living expenses
have rising (groceries, and anything that is transported) and wages have
stayed the same, leaving less money to pay for anything hobby related. So
it's either give up for a while, or go down the gurgler....

Anyway, don't forget China's been buying all the oil they can to fuel the
industrial revolution over there, so it's all about supply and demand, more
demand, don't supply more oil, just charge more for whats there....

Compliments of Walmart and it's 100 % Chinese goods.

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 21:32:40 +1000, "VaxX" <geoff_gunn@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I would say yes, with thte cost of fuel going up, normal living expenses
>have rising (groceries, and anything that is transported) and wages have
>stayed the same, leaving less money to pay for anything hobby related. So
>it's either give up for a while, or go down the gurgler....
>
>Anyway, don't forget China's been buying all the oil they can to fuel the
>industrial revolution over there, so it's all about supply and demand, more
>demand, don't supply more oil, just charge more for whats there....

ummm.. .no.

yes, china's economy is growing quickly... but it is still SMALL, at least
by US standards it isn't even on the radar.

Gas prices now have NOTHING to do with supply/demand (has YOUR local gas
station run out of gas? (other then normal)), and everything to do with
price gouging and politics. There is plenty of oil being pumped...

"SilverWing" <alphaflyer@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
> Compliments of Walmart and it's 100 % Chinese goods.
>
> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 21:32:40 +1000, "VaxX" <geoff_gunn@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I would say yes, with thte cost of fuel going up, normal living expenses
>>have rising (groceries, and anything that is transported) and wages have
>>stayed the same, leaving less money to pay for anything hobby related. So
>>it's either give up for a while, or go down the gurgler....
>>
>>Anyway, don't forget China's been buying all the oil they can to fuel the
>>industrial revolution over there, so it's all about supply and demand,
>>more
>>demand, don't supply more oil, just charge more for whats there....

The difference here is the average worker commutes 15-20 miles per day just
to go to work. I travel 23 miles one way! My fuel costs add up very
quickly. In the UK, 100 miles is a long way, in the US, 100 years is a long
time.

Pete

[...]

Does anyone else feel the oil companies are really pushing it too far?
Going over the edge with the whole oil prices gig?
I guess the norm would be to say, well you gotta pay it...what are you
going to do?
Hmm. Well scrap the vacation. So much for that long road trip. Get
rid of the SUV. Work 4 10 hour days instead of 5 8's. Remove the
commute by moving or getting a closer job. Telecommute? Public
Transport, bus and train. Just to name a few. If this is a long term
thing-which I think it is (I don't see prices going back down) then
were in for alot of trouble. Anyone else think we'll see $1 something
for gas again?
Not sure why they don't glut the market with the Strategic Petroleum
reserve to drive the prices back down. Well, then again I gotta
consider who we have in office right now then I guess it puts it all
into perspective. Wouldn't want to separate his buddies from their
record profits.
The people that actually work for a living at the refineries aren't
getting rich, that's for sure. Guess it's just the execs pocketing
all of it since they don't want to put anything into building more
refineries, which should drive prices even higher since we just CAN'T
keep up with demand. They'll have it up to 3.00 before summer's out.
And then my oh my, another excuse among the plethora of them to jack
prices because heaven forbid, low and behold it just might get cold
outside. Wow, now that's unexpected! We just might not be able to
keep up with demand. Demand? 20 or 30 years ago I'd have agreed that
we used more. I used to have to pump 20 to 30 gallons a week in my
Ford LTD Broham. Now with compact lightweight all aluminum, plastic
and fabricated autos I maybe use half that and travel further. So I
use less. Therefore the price is more?
Off on a tangent I think that even if we burned 1 gallon a week the
price of the gallon would then be $20 to $30. They can't be beat.
I'll wager even switching to the new Hydrogen engine won't work. The
fuel (now known as energy) companies will get their fingers in it,
We'll be filling up at a BP (renamed to BE) or Speedway and we'll have
the very same charade.
I don't believe it's supply and demand. I feel it's artificial S&D.
Produce less to drive up prices. I believe it's pure and raw as well
as legalized employee theft by the Corporate CEO's, execs and managers
raiding pension funds, employee benefits, 401k's, general and overtime
wages yet not sacrificing 1 iota themselves.
With imported and exported cheap labor driving wages down and energy
barrens driving prices up I don't see how things can improve. But
maybe it's just an Ohio thing. Maybe things aren't like this all over?
If there were a way all of us could work together it'd be a cinch, but
we can't even go 1 day without buying fuel. That's asking just way
too much.
Wow! What a thing a fuel boycott would be to see happen. Shew!
Now the look on an oil execs face would be just priceless. A day that
everyone just has had it up to here with this. A day? A week? Dare I
say a Month? WOW! Could you imagine all hell breaking loose? Prices
plummeting to what-60 cents/gallon? Aw the poor poor oil barrens.
Yep, I know, couldn't happen. Can't even go a single day. Still it'd
be fun.
Knowing how the two are joined at the hip an executive order would
probably be issued that if we don't buy gas were going to be sent to
Guantanamo Bay for our conspiracy in affecting our national security.

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:47:02 -0400, "ProStreet36"
<prostreet36@rcn.com> wrote:

>The difference here is the average worker commutes 15-20 miles per day just
>to go to work. I travel 23 miles one way! My fuel costs add up very
>quickly. In the UK, 100 miles is a long way, in the US, 100 years is a long
>time.
>
>Pete
>

>"Martin White" <guddler@gmail.com> wrote in message
>You guys crack me up big time when you start whinging about the price
>of your fuel!!
>
>Assuming the $2.55 is per gallon, that's around about 5 litres i think.
>
>We're on £0.95 per litre, which to round it up to round figures puts
>us up at around about the $10 per gallon price mark. Maybe $8 or $9 if
>we're lucky.
>
>Yesterday i took a 5 hour round trip to deliver some fixed PCBs and
>pick up some chips (and obviously spend a pleasent day with another
>collector, that would have been insanity otherwise).
>
>Two weeks ago i did a two hour detour on top of another 5 hour round
>trip for a Space Invaders mirror and a B&W monitor.
>
>I have been known to do a 10 hour round trip for a Tron cab once too. 4
>or 5 hour round trips are about the norm.
>
>If you don't make the effort, you don't get anywhere!!
>
>:)
>
>Martin.
>PS: I drive a car that costs £50 per tank of fuel too (roughly $100).
>And, NO, I'm not loaded!!!

You know, I agree with you 100%. It's almost like you were riding with me
the other day when I was talking to my buddy. I was saying about how much
of an impact if consumers would strike for even one day across the nation of
how MUCH that would impact them.

I think a clear message needs to be sent. We won't take this and we know
we're getting screwed. It just pisses me off when I have to fill up and see
what i'm paying.

There has to be some regulation in place and I for one feel like we are all
getting taken advantage of.

Thomas

TRENDING THREADS