Gas Prices: Has it changed your habits w/ this hobby?

just curious to know how many of you have changed your buying habits
because of the high cost of gas these days..
i also found its much more difficult to get trades started---especially
over long distances.
from what i've been reading, were not going to see any signs of relief
until 08'.

im still in the hunt for a pong, pac land and a few other cab upgrades.
these are about the only games i would endure the higher shipping rates
for.

ronald
64 answers Last reply
More about prices changed habits hobby

    Ron Jr. wrote:
    > just curious to know how many of you have changed your buying habits
    > because of the high cost of gas these days..
    > i also found its much more difficult to get trades started---especially
    > over long distances.
    > from what i've been reading, were not going to see any signs of relief
    > until 08'.
    >
    > im still in the hunt for a pong, pac land and a few other cab upgrades.
    > these are about the only games i would endure the higher shipping rates
    > for.
    >
    > ronald

    Not only have gas prices put a damper on the hobby, but also tolls will
    kill ya.

    JOhn

    Sticker shock at Forward Air made me twice shy about shipping eBay
    purchases. At $190 to ship five states away plus crating made shipping
    more expensive than the game itself. That was last year and I doubt
    prices have come down any. Local purchases and auctions are the only
    way to go these days.

    - Craig

    The only thing that changed is the price of games and the cost to ship
    them. IMO game prices have dropped alot since the republicans took over
    [that was a dig]. Gamwes are pretty cheap compaired to the haydays of
    clintons last term.
    Forward Air and pilot have raised there prices with gas charges and
    still reasonable but definatly not reasonable for a $350 game.

    I was just thinking the same thing this weekend, we drove from Kansas
    City to St. Louis in a Chevy Tahoe with a small trailer holding eight
    games. The first fuel stop was $50, then starting back it was $50
    again, then another $50 near Columbia, MO. I ended up with about the
    same amount of gas I started with, so fuel cost were roughly $150.

    It's certainly something you have to keep in mind since it can add up
    quickly, especially with a trailer.

    Mike Doyle

    >Sticker shock at Forward Air made me twice shy about shipping eBay
    >purchases

    Try to use NAVL with more than one game. The price for one or two games
    is about the same and they ship door to door.

    Kirb

    I was thinking mustard gas would be a better solution. Atleast we
    wouldnt have to rebuild.
    Its amazing we are still in Iraq. I feel bad for the boys, 1,2,3 years
    from home for no real reason. We were hunting BinLaden if I recall
    correctly.?........ They will let that guy die in the desert so he wont
    become a matar so we will never see him go to trial...

    >>my solution: withdraw from Iraq... dump a few nukes down each Arab
    countries throats (ok.. we can wait on this and see if they'll behave
    themselves... the first sign of them being dickheads... boom... no more

    dickheads)... and dump $100 Billion a year for the next decade or so
    and
    crash course a working fusion reactor and build out the infrastructure
    for
    an electricity based economy... <<
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    As long as "big oil" is in control, you won't see any dramatic changes
    in the energy policy of this country- that you can count on. What
    always drives me nuts is seeing a spike in the price per gallon in
    reaction to some tanker / pipeline / refinery accident. I've recently
    worked on projects in the Middle East and South America that I *know*
    will account for substantial increases in output, one platform I did
    the transfer pump motors for will increase Brazil's output 10% alone
    the day it comes online.

    And yet the price continues to climb, totally against the economic
    model. One conference I attended focused on hybrids as the answer,
    which makes sense until a reasonable fuel cell is developed.

    Mike DoyIe
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    It hasn't really changed my habits yet. I've only been collecting for a few
    years and have never made any major road trips for games (yet). In fact
    everything I've bought so far has been 2 hrs or less away from home so it's
    not been a terribly long drive. We're up to $2.55 here in Michigan.

    "Ron Jr." <Cegron@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > just curious to know how many of you have changed your buying habits
    > because of the high cost of gas these days..
    > i also found its much more difficult to get trades started---especially
    > over long distances.
    > from what i've been reading, were not going to see any signs of relief
    > until 08'.
    >
    > im still in the hunt for a pong, pac land and a few other cab upgrades.
    > these are about the only games i would endure the higher shipping rates
    > for.
    >
    > ronald

  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    What have you read that says we will get relief in 08'? I can think of one
    thing that's going to change then but not sure how that's going to help.

    "Ron Jr." <Cegron@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > just curious to know how many of you have changed your buying habits
    > because of the high cost of gas these days..
    > i also found its much more difficult to get trades started---especially
    > over long distances.
    > from what i've been reading, were not going to see any signs of relief
    > until 08'.
    >
    > im still in the hunt for a pong, pac land and a few other cab upgrades.
    > these are about the only games i would endure the higher shipping rates
    > for.
    >
    > ronald

  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Billions of dollars, our tax dollars, being spent in Iraq and we're stuck
    paying $2.50-$3.00 a gallon for gas? Not to mention the double whammy if
    you heat your home with fuel oil. I spent over $2000 for heat and hot water
    last year alone. Makes no sense to me. And don't even get me started on
    manufacturing jobs! If a bomb should be dropped, we should start right in
    DC!

    IMO
    Pete

    <syncbus@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > As long as "big oil" is in control, you won't see any dramatic changes
    > in the energy policy of this country- that you can count on. What
    > always drives me nuts is seeing a spike in the price per gallon in
    > reaction to some tanker / pipeline / refinery accident. I've recently
    > worked on projects in the Middle East and South America that I *know*
    > will account for substantial increases in output, one platform I did
    > the transfer pump motors for will increase Brazil's output 10% alone
    > the day it comes online.
    >
    > And yet the price continues to climb, totally against the economic
    > model. One conference I attended focused on hybrids as the answer,
    > which makes sense until a reasonable fuel cell is developed.
    >
    > Mike DoyIe

  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Don't get your hopes up. If the war and all the other whiny stuff
    didn't oust the reps this time nothing will. So go smoke some pot and
    collect your welfare checks and Play Games!
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Transportation costs will never again be the same as they were.

    Our only hope is that Congress (yeah... so much for hope as it's full of
    uneducated lawyers...) realizes the importance of energy and funds it'
    properly...

    my solution: withdraw from Iraq... dump a few nukes down each Arab
    countries throats (ok.. we can wait on this and see if they'll behave
    themselves... the first sign of them being dickheads... boom... no more
    dickheads)... and dump $100 Billion a year for the next decade or so and
    crash course a working fusion reactor and build out the infrastructure for
    an electricity based economy...

    Airlines will still be problematic... but with almost free electricity much
    of the current air traffic be replaced by ultra high-speed rail.

    "arcadeguy" <arcadeguy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The only thing that changed is the price of games and the cost to ship
    > them. IMO game prices have dropped alot since the republicans took over
    > [that was a dig]. Gamwes are pretty cheap compaired to the haydays of
    > clintons last term.
    > Forward Air and pilot have raised there prices with gas charges and
    > still reasonable but definatly not reasonable for a $350 game.

  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I think he may be referring to the next Presidential election to which I
    concur.

    "Matt Mac Donagh" <gamefixer@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > What have you read that says we will get relief in 08'? I can think of one
    > thing that's going to change then but not sure how that's going to help.
    >
    > "Ron Jr." <Cegron@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > > just curious to know how many of you have changed your buying habits
    > > because of the high cost of gas these days..
    > > i also found its much more difficult to get trades started---especially
    > > over long distances.
    > > from what i've been reading, were not going to see any signs of relief
    > > until 08'.
    > >
    > > im still in the hunt for a pong, pac land and a few other cab upgrades.
    > > these are about the only games i would endure the higher shipping rates
    > > for.
    > >
    > > ronald

  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Sorry, I don't smoke and don't collect, but I do game, thanks.

    Pete

    "Jadyre" <jadyre@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Don't get your hopes up. If the war and all the other whiny stuff
    > didn't oust the reps this time nothing will. So go smoke some pot and
    > collect your welfare checks and Play Games!

  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I finally got a vehicle large enough to hold one regular sized game... 20
    city, 26 highway (compared with my 10 year old sedan that still gets 26
    city, 36 highway).

    However, I recently passed up 2 to 3 totally free stripped cabinets that
    were only 140 miles away from me in the middle of nowhere for the both of us
    (normally the closest freebies are 275 to 600 miles away).

    If I could have hauled all 3 at once, I may have, but only being able to
    take one, the gas milage on rural roads for a minimum 5 hour round trip
    would have meant at least $26 PER cabinet in gas costs, not to mention
    vehicle wear (@ 33 cents a mile) and of course time.

    4 years ago I would have been there twice, or if they had been complete and
    a good deal, but gutted isn't worth the effort and costs :(

    I have a feeling a lot more games are going to become piles of broken down
    garbage as it will no longer be feasable to pickup or ship for most things.

    "Ron Jr." <Cegron@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > just curious to know how many of you have changed your buying habits
    > because of the high cost of gas these days..
    > i also found its much more difficult to get trades started---especially
    > over long distances.
    > from what i've been reading, were not going to see any signs of relief
    > until 08'.
    >
    > im still in the hunt for a pong, pac land and a few other cab upgrades.
    > these are about the only games i would endure the higher shipping rates
    > for.
    >
    > ronald

  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    You guys crack me up big time when you start whinging about the price
    of your fuel!!

    Assuming the $2.55 is per gallon, that's around about 5 litres i think.

    We're on £0.95 per litre, which to round it up to round figures puts
    us up at around about the $10 per gallon price mark. Maybe $8 or $9 if
    we're lucky.

    Yesterday i took a 5 hour round trip to deliver some fixed PCBs and
    pick up some chips (and obviously spend a pleasent day with another
    collector, that would have been insanity otherwise).

    Two weeks ago i did a two hour detour on top of another 5 hour round
    trip for a Space Invaders mirror and a B&W monitor.

    I have been known to do a 10 hour round trip for a Tron cab once too. 4
    or 5 hour round trips are about the norm.

    If you don't make the effort, you don't get anywhere!!

    :)

    Martin.
    PS: I drive a car that costs £50 per tank of fuel too (roughly $100).
    And, NO, I'm not loaded!!!
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    A liter is a little more then 1/4 of an american gallon (your gallons of
    bigger... sigh... can't even get THAT straight... my biggest bitch about
    living over there was trying to convert food recipies back and forth, even
    those alread in "English" units).

    Yes, you do have higher fuel costs over there then we do here... although
    YOU can bitch about you're government taxing your fuel costs through the
    roof... the gov't takes is share one way or another, your's just does it
    through fuel more then ours...

    still... you should join us in our $100 Billion push for fusion... cheap
    electricity is where it's at.

    If we DON'T convert to an electricity based economy in the near term (say 20
    years) then fuel costs will make our way of life impossible (our country is
    just MUCH bigger then European countries which makes public transport in all
    but the biggest city's impracticle). There will be only one option left to
    the US if we do not find alternate energy... war... plain and simple. If we
    can't get it at a reasonable price then we will have to take it... right or
    wrong that's what it will come down to. Don't be suprised if you see the
    redevelopment of neutron enhanced atomics in the near future (to leave the
    infrastructure alone)...

    "Martin White" <guddler@gmail.com> wrote in message
[...]

  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    You bet! I find that I go to fewer shows, auctions and swapmeets where, in
    the past, I've found games. In fact I didn't go to CAExtreme this past
    weekend, in part, because of the cost. $30 entry fee, $5 bridge toll,
    $40 gas I've bought some of my best vids for less than this!

    The high cost of fuel is permiating our economy, and will lead to
    inflation. Thanks a lot GW Bush.

    Steve

    Ron Jr. <Cegron@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > just curious to know how many of you have changed your buying habits
    > because of the high cost of gas these days..
    > i also found its much more difficult to get trades started---especially
    > over long distances.
    > from what i've been reading, were not going to see any signs of relief
    > until 08'.
    >
    > im still in the hunt for a pong, pac land and a few other cab upgrades.
    > these are about the only games i would endure the higher shipping rates
    > for.
    >
    > ronald

  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I would say yes, with thte cost of fuel going up, normal living expenses
    have rising (groceries, and anything that is transported) and wages have
    stayed the same, leaving less money to pay for anything hobby related. So
    it's either give up for a while, or go down the gurgler....

    Anyway, don't forget China's been buying all the oil they can to fuel the
    industrial revolution over there, so it's all about supply and demand, more
    demand, don't supply more oil, just charge more for whats there....
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Compliments of Walmart and it's 100 % Chinese goods.

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 21:32:40 +1000, "VaxX" <geoff_gunn@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I would say yes, with thte cost of fuel going up, normal living expenses
    >have rising (groceries, and anything that is transported) and wages have
    >stayed the same, leaving less money to pay for anything hobby related. So
    >it's either give up for a while, or go down the gurgler....
    >
    >Anyway, don't forget China's been buying all the oil they can to fuel the
    >industrial revolution over there, so it's all about supply and demand, more
    >demand, don't supply more oil, just charge more for whats there....

  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    ummm.. .no.

    yes, china's economy is growing quickly... but it is still SMALL, at least
    by US standards it isn't even on the radar.

    Gas prices now have NOTHING to do with supply/demand (has YOUR local gas
    station run out of gas? (other then normal)), and everything to do with
    price gouging and politics. There is plenty of oil being pumped...

    "SilverWing" <alphaflyer@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Compliments of Walmart and it's 100 % Chinese goods.
    >
    > On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 21:32:40 +1000, "VaxX" <geoff_gunn@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I would say yes, with thte cost of fuel going up, normal living expenses
    >>have rising (groceries, and anything that is transported) and wages have
    >>stayed the same, leaving less money to pay for anything hobby related. So
    >>it's either give up for a while, or go down the gurgler....
    >>
    >>Anyway, don't forget China's been buying all the oil they can to fuel the
    >>industrial revolution over there, so it's all about supply and demand,
    >>more
    >>demand, don't supply more oil, just charge more for whats there....

  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    The difference here is the average worker commutes 15-20 miles per day just
    to go to work. I travel 23 miles one way! My fuel costs add up very
    quickly. In the UK, 100 miles is a long way, in the US, 100 years is a long
    time.

    Pete

[...]

  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Does anyone else feel the oil companies are really pushing it too far?
    Going over the edge with the whole oil prices gig?
    I guess the norm would be to say, well you gotta pay it...what are you
    going to do?
    Hmm. Well scrap the vacation. So much for that long road trip. Get
    rid of the SUV. Work 4 10 hour days instead of 5 8's. Remove the
    commute by moving or getting a closer job. Telecommute? Public
    Transport, bus and train. Just to name a few. If this is a long term
    thing-which I think it is (I don't see prices going back down) then
    were in for alot of trouble. Anyone else think we'll see $1 something
    for gas again?
    Not sure why they don't glut the market with the Strategic Petroleum
    reserve to drive the prices back down. Well, then again I gotta
    consider who we have in office right now then I guess it puts it all
    into perspective. Wouldn't want to separate his buddies from their
    record profits.
    The people that actually work for a living at the refineries aren't
    getting rich, that's for sure. Guess it's just the execs pocketing
    all of it since they don't want to put anything into building more
    refineries, which should drive prices even higher since we just CAN'T
    keep up with demand. They'll have it up to 3.00 before summer's out.
    And then my oh my, another excuse among the plethora of them to jack
    prices because heaven forbid, low and behold it just might get cold
    outside. Wow, now that's unexpected! We just might not be able to
    keep up with demand. Demand? 20 or 30 years ago I'd have agreed that
    we used more. I used to have to pump 20 to 30 gallons a week in my
    Ford LTD Broham. Now with compact lightweight all aluminum, plastic
    and fabricated autos I maybe use half that and travel further. So I
    use less. Therefore the price is more?
    Off on a tangent I think that even if we burned 1 gallon a week the
    price of the gallon would then be $20 to $30. They can't be beat.
    I'll wager even switching to the new Hydrogen engine won't work. The
    fuel (now known as energy) companies will get their fingers in it,
    We'll be filling up at a BP (renamed to BE) or Speedway and we'll have
    the very same charade.
    I don't believe it's supply and demand. I feel it's artificial S&D.
    Produce less to drive up prices. I believe it's pure and raw as well
    as legalized employee theft by the Corporate CEO's, execs and managers
    raiding pension funds, employee benefits, 401k's, general and overtime
    wages yet not sacrificing 1 iota themselves.
    With imported and exported cheap labor driving wages down and energy
    barrens driving prices up I don't see how things can improve. But
    maybe it's just an Ohio thing. Maybe things aren't like this all over?
    If there were a way all of us could work together it'd be a cinch, but
    we can't even go 1 day without buying fuel. That's asking just way
    too much.
    Wow! What a thing a fuel boycott would be to see happen. Shew!
    Now the look on an oil execs face would be just priceless. A day that
    everyone just has had it up to here with this. A day? A week? Dare I
    say a Month? WOW! Could you imagine all hell breaking loose? Prices
    plummeting to what-60 cents/gallon? Aw the poor poor oil barrens.
    Yep, I know, couldn't happen. Can't even go a single day. Still it'd
    be fun.
    Knowing how the two are joined at the hip an executive order would
    probably be issued that if we don't buy gas were going to be sent to
    Guantanamo Bay for our conspiracy in affecting our national security.

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:47:02 -0400, "ProStreet36"
    <prostreet36@rcn.com> wrote:

    >The difference here is the average worker commutes 15-20 miles per day just
    >to go to work. I travel 23 miles one way! My fuel costs add up very
    >quickly. In the UK, 100 miles is a long way, in the US, 100 years is a long
    >time.
    >
    >Pete
    >

    >"Martin White" <guddler@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >You guys crack me up big time when you start whinging about the price
    >of your fuel!!
    >
    >Assuming the $2.55 is per gallon, that's around about 5 litres i think.
    >
    >We're on £0.95 per litre, which to round it up to round figures puts
    >us up at around about the $10 per gallon price mark. Maybe $8 or $9 if
    >we're lucky.
    >
    >Yesterday i took a 5 hour round trip to deliver some fixed PCBs and
    >pick up some chips (and obviously spend a pleasent day with another
    >collector, that would have been insanity otherwise).
    >
    >Two weeks ago i did a two hour detour on top of another 5 hour round
    >trip for a Space Invaders mirror and a B&W monitor.
    >
    >I have been known to do a 10 hour round trip for a Tron cab once too. 4
    >or 5 hour round trips are about the norm.
    >
    >If you don't make the effort, you don't get anywhere!!
    >
    >:)
    >
    >Martin.
    >PS: I drive a car that costs £50 per tank of fuel too (roughly $100).
    >And, NO, I'm not loaded!!!

  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    You know, I agree with you 100%. It's almost like you were riding with me
    the other day when I was talking to my buddy. I was saying about how much
    of an impact if consumers would strike for even one day across the nation of
    how MUCH that would impact them.

    I think a clear message needs to be sent. We won't take this and we know
    we're getting screwed. It just pisses me off when I have to fill up and see
    what i'm paying.

    There has to be some regulation in place and I for one feel like we are all
    getting taken advantage of.

    Thomas

    "Zinfer" <rmassman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>
    >>Assuming the $2.55 is per gallon, that's around about 5 litres i think.
    >>
    >>We're on £0.95 per litre, which to round it up to round figures puts
    >>us up at around about the $10 per gallon price mark. Maybe $8 or $9 if
    >>we're lucky.
    >>
    >>Yesterday i took a 5 hour round trip to deliver some fixed PCBs and
    >>pick up some chips (and obviously spend a pleasent day with another
    >>collector, that would have been insanity otherwise).
    >>
    >>Two weeks ago i did a two hour detour on top of another 5 hour round
    >>trip for a Space Invaders mirror and a B&W monitor.
    >>
    >>I have been known to do a 10 hour round trip for a Tron cab once too. 4
    >>or 5 hour round trips are about the norm.
    >>
    >>If you don't make the effort, you don't get anywhere!!
    >>
    >>:)
    >>
    >>Martin.
    >>PS: I drive a car that costs £50 per tank of fuel too (roughly $100).

  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Everyone feels that oil is overpriced now. Isn't there a chance it has been
    UNDERpriced for years, and is now just rising to a normal level? Just
    because it is higher than it used to be, doesn't make it overpriced. Oil is
    double what it cost 15 years ago. I can name many items that cost 2x more
    now than they did 15 years ago.

    "Docrotcod" <rahbart@cox.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>>
    >>>Assuming the $2.55 is per gallon, that's around about 5 litres i think.
    >>>
    >>>We're on £0.95 per litre, which to round it up to round figures puts
    >>>us up at around about the $10 per gallon price mark. Maybe $8 or $9 if
    >>>we're lucky.
    >>>
    >>>Yesterday i took a 5 hour round trip to deliver some fixed PCBs and
    >>>pick up some chips (and obviously spend a pleasent day with another
    >>>collector, that would have been insanity otherwise).
    >>>
    >>>Two weeks ago i did a two hour detour on top of another 5 hour round
    >>>trip for a Space Invaders mirror and a B&W monitor.
    >>>
    >>>I have been known to do a 10 hour round trip for a Tron cab once too. 4
    >>>or 5 hour round trips are about the norm.
    >>>
    >>>If you don't make the effort, you don't get anywhere!!
    >>>
    >>>:)
    >>>
    >>>Martin.
    >>>PS: I drive a car that costs £50 per tank of fuel too (roughly $100).

  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    no... wrong...

    Oil is a natural resource... except for the extraction and transportation
    costs there is NO other costs involved.

    Opec was fine pumping it at $23-28 gallon (which was their target a year
    ago)... I somehow doubt there has been over a 100% increase in costs in a
    single year...

    Is there more demand?

    Has anyone heard of shortages in the us? I a haven't, so if President
    Reagan was to be believed then there should be no justification for price
    increases.

    here is what *really* happened... The market bid up the oil at the start of
    the war... everytime something happend they spooked and bid it up again...
    now it's really high... how do you *down* bid... you don't because there are
    just TOO many people to sit down, catch their breaths and just say ok...
    we'll take it at this price...

    there IS an OPEC... but what we really need is an OPCC (organication of
    petrolium Consuming countries) to take a collective measurement and say ok..
    we'll pay $$$ for oil and that's it.

    It's a mass hysteria situation so how do you fix it?

    "Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>> If there were a way all of us could work together it'd be a cinch, but
    >>> we can't even go 1 day without buying fuel. That's asking just way
    >>> too much.
    >>> Wow! What a thing a fuel boycott would be to see happen. Shew!
    >>> Now the look on an oil execs face would be just priceless. A day that
    >>> everyone just has had it up to here with this. A day? A week? Dare I
    >>> say a Month? WOW! Could you imagine all hell breaking loose? Prices
    >>> plummeting to what-60 cents/gallon? Aw the poor poor oil barrens.
    >>> Yep, I know, couldn't happen. Can't even go a single day. Still it'd
    >>> be fun.
    >>> Knowing how the two are joined at the hip an executive order would
    >>> probably be issued that if we don't buy gas were going to be sent to
    >>> Guantanamo Bay for our conspiracy in affecting our national security.

  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    "Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > no... wrong...
    >
    > Oil is a natural resource... except for the extraction and transportation
    > costs there is NO other costs involved.

    Well, the same thing can be said about many natural resources. Those have
    all had large increases in the last 2 decades. Timber, etc. They have just
    been steadier increases. The price of gas was relatively flat for many
    years. In that same time, I'm sure that the costs of extraction and
    transportation rose. Believe me, I am not happy about paying $2.60 a
    gallon, but I do think that our gas was overly cheap for a long time,
    especially when compared to what other countries were paying. In my
    non-expert opinion, I think you will see gas up to $3 a gallon by labor day
    and oil over $70 a barrel. To me, that would be overpriced. I think the
    market will find its level somewhere between $2 and $2.30 a gallon for the
    long run.
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Oil is a natural resource... except for the extraction and
    transportation
    costs there is NO other costs involved.

    This point should be tempered with the fact that Oil is a *finite*
    resource. Natural supply isn't what it once was for sure. The market
    may be responding to the fact that there is less than a century's worth
    left for a user base that may triple in that time. No matter what OPEC
    does to siphon off availability, they can't just "grow" more. Fuel for
    thought.

    Jeff
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Yea, and that's what they said in 1980 in the explanation of the price
    gouging then. Or do you remember that?

    On 12 Aug 2005 15:39:35 -0700, "VectorGen"
    <istolewhitesands@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Oil is a natural resource... except for the extraction and
    >transportation
    >costs there is NO other costs involved.
    >

    >This point should be tempered with the fact that Oil is a *finite*
    >resource. Natural supply isn't what it once was for sure. The market
    >may be responding to the fact that there is less than a century's worth
    >left for a user base that may triple in that time. No matter what OPEC
    >does to siphon off availability, they can't just "grow" more. Fuel for
    >thought.
    >
    >Jeff

  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I do remember Oil Embargoes, inflating those prices in 1980. OPEC was
    bitch slapping Carter. Adjusting for inflation, gasoline is still
    cheaper today per barrel than it was in April '80. Roughly ten dollars
    cheaper. Gas prices haven't really had any impact on our family's
    daily routine, our commutes are short. We're still considering
    hybrids, in the long run they will make more sense until something
    better is developed.
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    My partner and I were discussing gas prices and have pretty much decided to
    have our company pay our gas bills.. It will help.

    Thomas

    "VectorGen" <istolewhitesands@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I do remember Oil Embargoes, inflating those prices in 1980. OPEC was
    > bitch slapping Carter. Adjusting for inflation, gasoline is still
    > cheaper today per barrel than it was in April '80. Roughly ten dollars
    > cheaper. Gas prices haven't really had any impact on our family's
    > daily routine, our commutes are short. We're still considering
    > hybrids, in the long run they will make more sense until something
    > better is developed.

  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Try living in England, here it costs over 50 pounds ($85 +) to fill up my 60
    LITRE tank (15.8 US Gallons).... :(

    /Mike
    > I was just thinking the same thing this weekend, we drove from Kansas
    > City to St. Louis in a Chevy Tahoe with a small trailer holding eight
    > games. The first fuel stop was $50, then starting back it was $50
    > again, then another $50 near Columbia, MO. I ended up with about the
    > same amount of gas I started with, so fuel cost were roughly $150.
    >
    > It's certainly something you have to keep in mind since it can add up
    > quickly, especially with a trailer.
    >
    > Mike Doyle

  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Apparently they're not interested Mike :o)

    Seems, we SUPPOSEDLY whinge about our government taxing us too much!!

    All a bit odd really. I've never complained about that before, but
    apparently we do.

    I think the problem is that a huge amount of the Americans on this
    group (please note, not all!) prefer to just get into a political
    debate - normally about Bush - at the first opportunity!!
  34. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    well.. the problem is that our two systems don't really match up easily for
    a direct comparison...

    YES you are taxed far heavier then we are... but they types of services you
    receive are also quite different from those that we receive (healthcare for
    example... no bitching about how long it takes...).

    you need to pay for those services some how... one way is to hike the gas
    tax's, which your gov't has done.

    we don't have those services which is why we bitch (as opposed to the more
    civilized *windging* (sp?) that you do over there :)

    > Apparently they're not interested Mike :o)
    >
    > Seems, we SUPPOSEDLY whinge about our government taxing us too much!!
    >
    > All a bit odd really. I've never complained about that before, but
    > apparently we do.
    >
    > I think the problem is that a huge amount of the Americans on this
    > group (please note, not all!) prefer to just get into a political
    > debate - normally about Bush - at the first opportunity!!

  35. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Well I guess the original post in this thread was more timely and
    appropriate than anyone could have predicted.. There's rumors about the
    hurricane causing a gas crisis. Gas is now $2.99, $3.09, $3.19 (87,
    89,93 octane) on my street and I think this is the first time I've seen
    gas over $3.00 in MI. Local radio stations predict that prices will be
    dramatically higher than that by tomorrow morning. Yikes!
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    micrologix1500@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Well I guess the original post in this thread was more timely and
    > appropriate than anyone could have predicted.. There's rumors about the
    > hurricane causing a gas crisis. Gas is now $2.99, $3.09, $3.19 (87,
    > 89,93 octane) on my street and I think this is the first time I've seen
    > gas over $3.00 in MI. Local radio stations predict that prices will be
    > dramatically higher than that by tomorrow morning. Yikes!

    Gas has gone up 16 cents in 4 hours here in Santa Maria, CA.

    -Stephen
  37. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I found this to be an interesting perspective:

    http://www.fintrend.com/ftf/Articles/Oil_Inflation.asp

    .... and it seems the gov't has seen it coming for a while:

    http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3b03279d59aa.htm

    "...But the president's focus is on strategies to make the United
    States less reliant on foreign oil and less susceptible to aging
    electrical transmission systems."

    So can we finally say screw the caribou, let's drill ANWR?

    www.anwr.org

    "Up to 16 billion barrels from just 2000 acres of ANWR.? Nowhere in
    North America is so much oil concentrated in such a small area."

    Ahhh, please pardon the political slant - I don't mean to preach. It's
    just making less and less sense spending gobs of money and lives trying
    to garner Middle East political clout while we have a Saudi Arabia oil
    sea in our back yard. Then again maybe the high oil prices will finally
    drive corps toward alternate sources of energy. Regardless, I feel it
    will all come out in the wash.

    - Craig
  38. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    So you think that a 30¢ increase is not just due to market factors?
    It looks like prices have gone up 35-40¢ since last night around here.

    Surprisingly, there's a Sam's club in town still selling gas for $2.56
    ($2.53 for S.C. cardholders). Normally I'll do just about anything to
    save a few pennies, but the lines were probably 30 cars long! I'd be
    afraid that I'd get to the front of the line and they'd be out of gas!
    There are already a couple discount stations in town that are out of
    gas.
  39. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    micrologix1500@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Well I guess the original post in this thread was more timely and
    > appropriate than anyone could have predicted.. There's rumors about the
    > hurricane causing a gas crisis. Gas is now $2.99, $3.09, $3.19 (87,
    > 89,93 octane) on my street and I think this is the first time I've seen
    > gas over $3.00 in MI. Local radio stations predict that prices will be
    > dramatically higher than that by tomorrow morning. Yikes!

    If gas has risen tremendously (30¢/gal or more), report it to your state
    attorney general. Authorities nationwide are prosecuting anyone price
    gouging, according to all the news on TV I've seen today.
  40. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Oil was only up $1 today, or about 1.5%. Usually increases in the price of
    oil take around 2 weeks to get to the pumps. Anyone jacking up prices by
    35-40c now is gouging.

    <micrologix1500@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    So you think that a 30¢ increase is not just due to market factors?
    It looks like prices have gone up 35-40¢ since last night around here.

    Surprisingly, there's a Sam's club in town still selling gas for $2.56
    ($2.53 for S.C. cardholders). Normally I'll do just about anything to
    save a few pennies, but the lines were probably 30 cars long! I'd be
    afraid that I'd get to the front of the line and they'd be out of gas!
    There are already a couple discount stations in town that are out of
    gas.
  41. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Yea I heard that. They were really going to pursue price gougers.
    Well we've probably heard the last of the price gouging remarks from
    the governors and the press. Nobody wants to take on that issue
    apparently.

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:44:31 GMT, Matt Renshaw
    <putacoininit@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >micrologix1500@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >> Well I guess the original post in this thread was more timely and
    >> appropriate than anyone could have predicted.. There's rumors about the
    >> hurricane causing a gas crisis. Gas is now $2.99, $3.09, $3.19 (87,
    >> 89,93 octane) on my street and I think this is the first time I've seen
    >> gas over $3.00 in MI. Local radio stations predict that prices will be
    >> dramatically higher than that by tomorrow morning. Yikes!
    >>

    >If gas has risen tremendously (30¢/gal or more), report it to your state
    >attorney general. Authorities nationwide are prosecuting anyone price
    >gouging, according to all the news on TV I've seen today.
  42. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    We're not too far from that here. I would have to wonder if in some
    parts of the country that had high prices already (California?) they're
    not there now.

    As far as "price gouging".. Something unusual happened today. The
    stations that were at or over $3.00 yesterday, strangely lowered their
    prices about 20 cents this morning. BUT.. later in the day they went
    back up! Now just about every station around here is back to around
    $3/gal. Maybe the lawyers advised them to do that? I would like to
    find out what exactly goes into the price of gas.. It sure isn't
    priced like other consumer commodities!
  43. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Wholesale prices of gasoline had a major spike today. As much as 28c. That
    is the biggest one day gain that I can ever remember. The market was
    actually halted for a while due to the large increase.

    > We're not too far from that here. I would have to wonder if in some
    > parts of the country that had high prices already (California?) they're
    > not there now.
    >
    > As far as "price gouging".. Something unusual happened today. The
    > stations that were at or over $3.00 yesterday, strangely lowered their
    > prices about 20 cents this morning. BUT.. later in the day they went
    > back up! Now just about every station around here is back to around
    > $3/gal. Maybe the lawyers advised them to do that? I would like to
    > find out what exactly goes into the price of gas.. It sure isn't
    > priced like other consumer commodities!

  44. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Just wondering if we'll ever reach a time of being fed up with it. If
    it spikes over 3 and closer to 5 I'm wondering what events are going
    to transpire at the gas station. Nobody is at fault. How peculiar.
    All the stories of attendants not being to blame. Nobody is at fault.
    I pulled up to a pump at Speedway time ago and there was the cop with
    a license in his hand saying if you drive away we'll take this. Below
    it was written 'Your the thief'.
    :D

    On 30 Aug 2005 15:22:29 -0700, micrologix1500@yahoo.com wrote:

    >We're not too far from that here. I would have to wonder if in some
    >parts of the country that had high prices already (California?) they're
    >not there now.
    >
    >As far as "price gouging".. Something unusual happened today. The
    >stations that were at or over $3.00 yesterday, strangely lowered their
    >prices about 20 cents this morning. BUT.. later in the day they went
    >back up! Now just about every station around here is back to around
    >$3/gal. Maybe the lawyers advised them to do that? I would like to
    >find out what exactly goes into the price of gas.. It sure isn't
    >priced like other consumer commodities!

  45. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    try $1.25aud a litre or $4.73Aud a US Gallon or $3.53USD a gallon.....

    > Yea I heard that. They were really going to pursue price gougers.
    > Well we've probably heard the last of the price gouging remarks from
    > the governors and the press. Nobody wants to take on that issue
    > apparently.
    >
    > On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:44:31 GMT, Matt Renshaw
    > <putacoininit@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >micrologix1500@yahoo.com wrote:
    > >
    > >> Well I guess the original post in this thread was more timely and
    > >> appropriate than anyone could have predicted.. There's rumors about the
    > >> hurricane causing a gas crisis. Gas is now $2.99, $3.09, $3.19 (87,
    > >> 89,93 octane) on my street and I think this is the first time I've seen
    > >> gas over $3.00 in MI. Local radio stations predict that prices will be
    > >> dramatically higher than that by tomorrow morning. Yikes!
    > >>

    > >If gas has risen tremendously (30¢/gal or more), report it to your state
    > >attorney general. Authorities nationwide are prosecuting anyone price
    > >gouging, according to all the news on TV I've seen today.

  46. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I think this is going to make people re-consider buying another big
    truck or SUV for the daily commute. As it is, I'm trying to leave my
    Astro parked for the time being, and trying to get a Trans-port running
    to take its place. Gas prices were killing me before, I don't even
    wanna do the math at $3.15/gal.

    So guess what most of the business is where I work? Ford/GM truck
    parts.. Hmm... Not a good place to be, I fear
  47. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Just got an email from my buddy in Ohio.. gas is $3.09/gal

    :(

    --
    AF
    > I think this is going to make people re-consider buying another big
    > truck or SUV for the daily commute. As it is, I'm trying to leave my
    > Astro parked for the time being, and trying to get a Trans-port running
    > to take its place. Gas prices were killing me before, I don't even
    > wanna do the math at $3.15/gal.
    >
    > So guess what most of the business is where I work? Ford/GM truck
    > parts.. Hmm... Not a good place to be, I fear

  48. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    We're up to about $3.30 everywhere for the "cheap" stuff here in
    Detroit..
  49. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    $2.89 In Allentown, PA
    $3.09 in Levittown, PA
    as of this morning!!!
    --
    AF

    "Arcadeforever" <ve3zxr@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Just got an email from my buddy in Ohio.. gas is $3.09/gal
    >
    > :(
    >
    > --
    > AF
    > <micrologix1500@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I think this is going to make people re-consider buying another big
    > > truck or SUV for the daily commute. As it is, I'm trying to leave my
    > > Astro parked for the time being, and trying to get a Trans-port running
    > > to take its place. Gas prices were killing me before, I don't even
    > > wanna do the math at $3.15/gal.
    > >
    > > So guess what most of the business is where I work? Ford/GM truck
    > > parts.. Hmm... Not a good place to be, I fear

Games Video Video Games