8400-connecting 2nd HD (IDE)?

Being my new 8400 will have sata instead of ide Hds and with the dual DVDs
there won't be a ide connection open and my back-up HD presntly and which I
plan on using as my back up is an ide I looked into sata/ide adapters and
they seemed pretty cheap but then a friend of mine has a extra controller
card I can slip into an open pci slot so I am going that route.. I do have
another question, when I do install the pci control card do I set the backup
hd using the controller card to slave? It's a 14gb WD Caviar.

Paul,

You usually set it to Master, or Cable Select, but the card's doc will tell
you.

That said, let me suggest another option -- an external USB2 case. You can
pick one up for $20-30 and you don't ever have to open up your 8400.

Tom
"Paul T" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Being my new 8400 will have sata instead of ide Hds and with the dual DVDs
> there won't be a ide connection open and my back-up HD presntly and which
> I plan on using as my back up is an ide I looked into sata/ide adapters
> and they seemed pretty cheap but then a friend of mine has a extra
> controller card I can slip into an open pci slot so I am going that
> route.. I do have another question, when I do install the pci control card
> do I set the backup hd using the controller card to slave? It's a 14gb WD
> Caviar.

Thanks for the reply Tom, I hope my friend has the paperwork with the
controller card.. as for adding a usb box it will be kind of defeating for
our new setup I am trying to cut down on wires and components on our desk
which is in our living area for this reason I went for the 1905fp and sound
bar which will shrink the monitor and speaker size considerably so adding a
external HD will add more clutter... plus opening up the 8400 and adding the
card doesn't worry me, opened this old XPS quite often, mostly to clean out
the dust and such which seems to build up..

> Paul,
>
> You usually set it to Master, or Cable Select, but the card's doc will
> tell you.
>
> That said, let me suggest another option -- an external USB2 case. You can
> pick one up for $20-30 and you don't ever have to open up your 8400.
>
> Tom
> "Paul T" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Being my new 8400 will have sata instead of ide Hds and with the dual
>> DVDs there won't be a ide connection open and my back-up HD presntly and
>> which I plan on using as my back up is an ide I looked into sata/ide
>> adapters and they seemed pretty cheap but then a friend of mine has a
>> extra controller card I can slip into an open pci slot so I am going that
>> route.. I do have another question, when I do install the pci control
>> card do I set the backup hd using the controller card to slave? It's a
>> 14gb WD Caviar.

Aren't there two IDE spots on the MB, each will run 2 IDE devices. Your
CD/DVD devices can be on one, and you can put your IDE HD on the other, for
your backups.

I think your safest bet for a BU HD is in an external USB enclosure...
attach to do your backup, then remove the USB and power cable from the back
of the enclosure, to protect from power surge, lightening, etc.

"Paul T" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Being my new 8400 will have sata instead of ide Hds and with the dual DVDs
> there won't be a ide connection open and my back-up HD presntly and which
> I plan on using as my back up is an ide I looked into sata/ide adapters
> and they seemed pretty cheap but then a friend of mine has a extra
> controller card I can slip into an open pci slot so I am going that
> route.. I do have another question, when I do install the pci control card
> do I set the backup hd using the controller card to slave? It's a 14gb WD
> Caviar.

The 8400 only has one IDE port.

"Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message
> Aren't there two IDE spots on the MB, each will run 2 IDE devices.
> Your CD/DVD devices can be on one, and you can put your IDE HD on the
> other, for your backups.
>
> I think your safest bet for a BU HD is in an external USB enclosure...
> attach to do your backup, then remove the USB and power cable from the
> back of the enclosure, to protect from power surge, lightening, etc.
>
> "Paul T" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Being my new 8400 will have sata instead of ide Hds and with the dual
>> DVDs there won't be a ide connection open and my back-up HD presntly
>> and which I plan on using as my back up is an ide I looked into
>> sata/ide adapters and they seemed pretty cheap but then a friend of
>> mine has a extra controller card I can slip into an open pci slot so
>> I am going that route.. I do have another question, when I do install
>> the pci control card do I set the backup hd using the controller card
>> to slave? It's a 14gb WD Caviar.

Yep. 4 Sata drives. 2 IDE drivers