Troubles with 6800GT

traemyn

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2004
Specs: 3200+ A64 939
1 gig Corsair Value Select RAM (not bad RAM, really :p)
80gb 7200 RPM HD 8mb buffer
Abit AV8 motherboard

I have a Leadtek 6800GT and I am having stutter/wave problems in most, if not all, of my games.

Even though my FPS keeps pretty high I get stutters or waves on my screen when I am playing (usually moving). It happens with high graphic settings and low graphic settings. It does it with Omega drivers, Nvidia drivers, and the newest beta drivers. I have the newest directx, WinXP SP2. I see it overclocked and when not overclocked.

I am only trying to run 1024x768 on all of my games and like I said it does it on high settings or low settings (less on low maybe). So my question is where do I go from here? I have done memTest to check my RAM out and it passes all tests. Could this be a problem with my monitor? Its a really crappy 3-yr old e-machine 17" that I am going to get rid of soon.
One reason I have become suspicious of it is, for example, in CS:S with the FPS graph on my FPS is 80-100 and it will do the stutter/wave thing with no drop on the FPS number.

What else can I try? I feel I should be getting "better" performance out of my setup and Im running out of options.

thanks

traemyn

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2004
not that I can tell, doesn't seem to flash everytime it happens. i'll move my tower closer to my monitor and test it again later though.

seems to stutter most when turning or during firefights. reported FPS stays in a nice range though

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Pausing/stuttering is not a monitor issue

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
You uninstall and reinstall with those drivers right? I've heard of people having problems when one of these two things happen:
drivers improperly installed
and
power cable not properly installed in the card(molex connector?)

Stuttering doesn't come from a monitor...but if you want to check the refresh rate, try moving it up or down one level (60,70,75,85).

Is the stuttering only showing up when you move left-to-right or right-to-left (ie not going straight)? If so, try turning on your vertical sync. VS was designed to fix that specific problem. Your fps will drop a small amount if you use it. I've never run in to an issue where using vs has fixed it however...

F@H:
AMD: [64 3000+][2500+][2000+ down][1.3x2][366]
Intel: [X 3.0x3][P4 3.0x2][P4 2.4x5 down][P4 1.4]

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time

Hatphones

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2005
thats almost definitely because you have your games (or drivers) set to sync their refresh rates (fps) with your monitor, and since you arent quite getting 75-85 fps, a stutter appears. try turning this setting off in advanced video options and disabling it in your driver control panel.

There is no patch for human stupidity

Hatphones

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2005
thats almost definitely because you have your games (or drivers) set to sync their refresh rates (fps) with your monitor, and since you arent quite getting 75-85 fps, a stutter appears. try turning this setting off in advanced video options and disabling it in your driver control panel.

Hatphones

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2005