Register Windows XP again after software install?

I was installing a program and the install caused a fatal error. When I
rebooted, Windows now wants me to register again or it will not operate after
3 days. What's going on here?
2 answers Last reply
More about register windows software install

    Do a systen Repair or Upgrade setup

    If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into
    a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)
    875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350 How to
    Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Leon" <Leon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3FEC8C4D-892B-43F6-AD5F-5E8EC0CEDDD9@microsoft.com...
    >I was installing a program and the install caused a fatal error. When I
    > rebooted, Windows now wants me to register again or it will not operate after
    > 3 days. What's going on here?

    Thanks for weithing in, Mark, but I was installing Pinnacle Studio 9, not
    Windows. The install failed, but what did it do to my registry. How could a
    program install cause this?

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > Do a systen Repair or Upgrade setup
    >
    > If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into
    > a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)
    > 875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350 How to
    > Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    > --
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > "Leon" <Leon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3FEC8C4D-892B-43F6-AD5F-5E8EC0CEDDD9@microsoft.com...
    > >I was installing a program and the install caused a fatal error. When I
    > > rebooted, Windows now wants me to register again or it will not operate after
    > > 3 days. What's going on here?

Windows XP Software