Sign in with
Your question

HP pavilion and Win XP

Last response: in Windows XP
August 26, 2003 2:03:05 AM

About one year ago, my GF got a HP pavilion with WinXP preinstalled. The HD is in 2 parts, one with winxp and the other one as a small installation partition. Her computer started to slow down. She like the way mine is partitionned and she wanted me to do 2 partition on her's. After examining her config files, I noticed that there is a lot of HP apps that are running in the background.

My question is, can I safely wipe all of her HD, make 2 partition one for system and the other for her school works, data,..., find a Windows XP CD because she has none, use use her cd key for activation and install a clean windows without all the HP apps that run in the background?

I think I can, but I dont really know HP computers. She has a 2.0GHz P4 with 512megs DDR and 80 gigs HD.

Oh, and sometime, when she put a DVD in her drive, sometime Windows fail to start it. Or it is the drive that slowly dying ?

Thanks!

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

More about : pavilion win

August 26, 2003 6:47:54 AM

First,you can wipe the HD--but use the fdisk to do that,and format the disk clealy.Second,you must contact MS about the SN to activate the XP.Last,the DVD is old and tired,to change the problem is best to have a new firm one.
August 28, 2003 8:18:58 PM

So that means that An HP is just another computer which can be installed as others. I wasnt sure if they were requiring some kind of special software tricks to work.

Thanks

Related resources
August 29, 2003 10:13:58 PM

No special tricks, you just won't be able to do a Restore. The big OEMs are getting worse and worse, I swear. Use to be that you at least got a restore CD with your computer... even if it wasn't just the OS, you could at least get up and running in a timely manner. Now, HP doesn't even ship restore CDs with their Pavillion computers... leaving users to rely on the 'Restore partition' residing on the hard drive.

I've looked at three newer HP Pavillion machines preloaded with XP. All three of them are slower than molasses. Right now, I'm at a loss to explain exactly why. There doesn't seem to be an excessive amount of typical OEM crapware... which is why I'm confused. *Shrug*

Let me know how it runs with a plain XP install.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
August 30, 2003 10:36:28 AM

I just bought a HP and would agree. They set up winxpHE in such a way that you have to be running their stuff in the backround. They loaded my pc with a ton of trash so i decided I would delete it. I was going to delete the main hp folder then realized that it would very likely crash my system if I deleted it from the registry. I noticed that hp version of the winxpHE runs much slower than the normal one.
My solution to this was to format an install win xp pro.
My problem though, is that winxp pro dosn't have drivers for my motherboard components, like the ethernet controller and usb controller. Of course the only way hp will help me is if I run a system restore and let them take control of my pc again.
If I had to buy another pc I would just pay the extra money and put my own together. The couple hundred dollars I saved is not worth this much damn trouble.
In the end though, i'll just buy a cheap ethernet card and use the two usb ports I do have.
My abstract: HP SUCKS!
August 31, 2003 12:55:05 PM

Thanks for the inputs.

I think I will wait. she realy need her computer....

August 31, 2003 2:57:42 PM

when booting the pav, hold down the F10 key. You will be presented with a system restore option, one of the options is for the OS only. when this is done you can then use 3rd party software to make a new partition, partition magic would be a good choice.

Death, taxs and P2P are we clear?
September 1, 2003 5:41:33 PM

It's just a matter of finding out what motherboard chipset you have and downloading the appropriate drivers. If you have an Intel chipset, that's usually the easiest one to get drivers for... just a matter of downloading Intel's chipset software. SiS is usually the most difficult, as they don't have one piece of software for all components; you usually have to install each one separately (IDE, AGP, Audio, etc.)

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
September 2, 2003 6:53:50 PM

I had a similar problem with an old Pavilion my wife had. I formated the HDD, re-installed the OS. The only problem I had was with some of the hardware. I don't know if its still true, but HP used to use some offbeat hardware, stuff that was EXTREMELY hard to find drivers for, and if you installed an OS different than the one that came with the computer, there was absolutly no support available. All tech support would say is that the computer is not designed for WIN2K, only for WIN98 (for example).

If I was as sexy as I was smart.....I'd still be ugly..DAMN :mad: 
!