6600gt upgrade disapointment

I recently upgraded from IBM p4 2.0ghz machine from a leadtek ge-force 4 mx to a Asus n6600gt agp with a Ge-force 6600gt chipset and have been very dissapointed with the result.

My frame rate in the 4 games I have tested so far (farcry, halflife2, CMR2, Need for speed underground 2) have not improved at all. All games hover on just playable (15-30fps) almost all the time. I have then put my geforce 4 mx card back in the machine and get equivelent frame rates in all games (although with directx 7 they obviously don't look very nice)

Am I doing something wrong? 3d mark 03 score have doubled from about 4000 to 8000 and 3dmark 05 score is around 2500 but frame rate in games is appalling.

Other specs of machine are 400mhz fsb, 768mb pc 133 ram at 133mhz, fast HDDs, agp 4x (enabled) etc.

Is my CPU a bottle neck? Now I am thinking of selling card after only having it for 2 weeks and upgrading whole system instead.

Any help or similar experiences would be helpful.
3 answers Last reply
More about 6600gt upgrade disapointment
  1. It might be the RAM. PC133 SDRAM is rather slow if you try to run games like HL2. My old PC had only 384MB RAM but it was running at 233 mHz and had a near similar setup ran HL2 fine.
  2. Your Ram and CPU are definately a bottleneck. Those old P4 systems with PC133 sdram are real dogs.

P4 2.8 @ 3Ghz, Radeon 9800Pro 380/340, 1GB Corsair xms DDR333, Audigy 2ZS on Boston Acoustics B7800 4.1's, Western Digital 7200rpm 80gb SE, Antec True Power 480W
  3. Yeah, actually your bottleneck is the P4 2.0GHz paired with PC133. Pentium 4's perform terribly with SDR compared to with DDR or Rambus.

I made an upgrade on my sons computer for NFSU2 and discovered zero framerate improvement going from a GF3 to a GF4 Ti4200. Litterally Fraps benchmark runs show zero increase at all in framerates or playable settings. But going from a TBird 1.0GHz to a 1.33GHz, I saw a big jump of framerates. The Geek in me kicked in and I then started doing some(understatement) CPU scaling with a mobile Athlon XP and really see that NFSU2 needs quite alot of CPU power to allow the in game graphics details to be turned up. Anyway, go ahead and crank the resolution to whatever you like most on your monitor, as there is little to none perfomance hit in your case. ie, it won't help to reduce to a low resolution, your framerates won't improve and the image quality will suffer. But, what I would recommend(for NFSU2) is starting at 1024x768 minimum details. Use Fraps to see your framerates, then go to 1024x768 low and you'll see the hit. You should be fine at this setting though. Going to medium details is going to take a huge performance hit. Maybe moreso than before because the DX7 card you had before probably wasn't showing many of the features turned on by medium settings. My guess is medium details will overstress your system in NFSU2, and you'll have to use custom settings between low and medium to figure out what is best blend of IQ/Performance for your system.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to improve that system without a mobo/RAM/CPU swap. In some games you will see a difference with the 6600GT more than in others. What the 6600GT should do for you is allow for higher image quality. Maybe a bit higher details in certain games and AA/AF and high details in older games. Unfortuanately, the system (CPU/RAM/Mobo) is not going to let it shine though, especially is certain games.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=658042" target="_new">3DMark05</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3781954" target="_new">3DMark03</A>
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Games Graphics