SC-01 & SC-02 / SSI-263 Speech IC in Qbert & Gorf

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

I'm currently working on a project to fix some older boards which I'm having
problems with the SC-01 & SC-02 on them. This chip is long since dead and
most impossible to find and I'm trying to find a suitable replacement. I've
found the SpeechJet which is another speech chip and I'm not too sure how I
would go about changing out the SC-02 and setting up the SpeechJet or
something else that would do speech. Has anyone over come this issue yet?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Henry

apl2research .at. comcast.net

I think you mean the Speak Jet
http://www.speakjet.com/

It's a cool chip, been using it for a homebrew pin and another project.
But using it to replace the SC-01 would probably require a GAL,
u-controller or something to translate the SC-01 to the speakjet. I
dont think it'd be very easy as you'd have to recreate the falling
'aaaahhhhhh' along with the random gibberish... I doubt it would come
out the same a the SC-01 :-(

James Hagen

Knowing the original Qbert sound board controls the external voice
clock to the SC01 to create the vocal falling sounds, don't think its
possible.

Marcel

Upon hearing the samples on the website, it's a pretty remarkable
all-in-one chip.
It sounds more closer to the chip Stern has in their old games (Berzerk
and Flight 2000 come to mind). Try and contact the maker and talk to
them about the SC01 voice clock, which is used by the software to
control the pitch of the phonemes. I see they are still making
revisions of it.

Marcel

In article dragonbreed@aol.com says...

>Knowing the original Qbert sound board controls the external voice
>clock to the SC01 to create the vocal falling sounds, don't think its
>possible.

Well.. if you use a fast well equipped micro-controller, something like
an ATmega8515 which will hit 16MHz, then use the analog comparator and one
of the internal timers to measure the clock period, that's not a TTL clock
so you couldn't use the digital input-capture function. Also you could
just sample periodically and still leave a lot of the MCU time free.
Once the external clock has been measured it's a case of scaling the
playback frequency of the sampled SC-01 sounds to approximate the
original part.

- James

------------------------------
JrokLand http://www.jrok.com
------------------------------

Whoops, I meant when just Qbert falls... In that case you get two
sounds, one coming from the SC-01 (the verbal "AAAHHH") and the other
being the higher pitched falling sound effect that drops in pitch as
the character falls...

James H.

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

I know it won't be easy. I just can't imagine that I'm the only one who's
ever given any thought to what people are going to do once the last few
SC-01 IC gone. There must be a replacement. After 20+ years of this IC
being released someone must have come up with a workable solution.

Henry

:
: It's a cool chip, been using it for a homebrew pin and another project.
: But using it to replace the SC-01 would probably require a GAL,
: u-controller or something to translate the SC-01 to the speakjet. I
: dont think it'd be very easy as you'd have to recreate the falling
: 'aaaahhhhhh' along with the random gibberish... I doubt it would come
: out the same a the SC-01 :-(

The gibberish is the only thing the SC-01 does.

All of the other sounds are straight "samples"
--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

actually its still available. Just put a wanted to buy posting in both the
arcade and pinball groups. Chances are the chip will cost you 30-50
dollars. Even at $60 its easier to buy than redesigning the board (and then
its not original).

I needed one for a black hole. I posted a wanted to buy, had three
suppliers to pick from and had the chip in four days.

While the chip is rare, its not really that much more rare than a bunch of
other chips thats all over the other pcbs in this hobby.

--
Mickster

Visit my website and see my arcade!!

http://mickster.freeservers.com

"Henry" <apl2research@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I know it won't be easy. I just can't imagine that I'm the only one who's
>ever given any thought to what people are going to do once the last few
>SC-01 IC gone. There must be a replacement. After 20+ years of this IC
>being released someone must have come up with a workable solution.
>
> Henry
>

> "James Hagen" <jandt_hagen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I think you mean the Speak Jet
>> http://www.speakjet.com/
>>
>> It's a cool chip, been using it for a homebrew pin and another project.
>> But using it to replace the SC-01 would probably require a GAL,
>> u-controller or something to translate the SC-01 to the speakjet. I
>> dont think it'd be very easy as you'd have to recreate the falling
>> 'aaaahhhhhh' along with the random gibberish... I doubt it would come
>> out the same a the SC-01 :-(
>>
>> James Hagen

Latest posts