HELP Please!!

My parents own a small restaurant and we're using 802.11g wireless to
network the computers.

We want to add an "order printer" in the kitchen wirelessly and I'm not
sure what to buy.

The printer is a small Epson "cash register" style printer with a
parallel interface.

Is there some kind of "wireless parallel print server" unit we can buy?
I've searched several online stores but all I can find are wireless
routers with a print server built-in to the router itself.

Thanks for any help!

--Dave

Dave Navarro wrote:

> My parents own a small restaurant and we're using 802.11g wireless to
> network the computers.
>
> We want to add an "order printer" in the kitchen wirelessly and I'm not
> sure what to buy.
>
> The printer is a small Epson "cash register" style printer with a
> parallel interface.
>
> Is there some kind of "wireless parallel print server" unit we can buy?
> I've searched several online stores but all I can find are wireless
> routers with a print server built-in to the router itself.
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> --Dave
I run my printer (HP 6122) on a wireless print server using the parallel
port. The device is a Linksys WPS11. This particular device only
supports WEP encryption, but I'm sure there are other such devices, some
of which will surely support WPA encryption.

I assume you are using some type of encryption -- otherwise your
network, and your business, is open for anyone to see ...

What is the printer currently connected to? That would be the device to
make wireless I would think. I do not believe I have ever seen any wireless
products that handle parallel ports (but I'll concede that there likely is
one of everything out there somewhere...<g>)

"Dave Navarro" <dave@dave.dave> wrote in message
> My parents own a small restaurant and we're using 802.11g wireless to
> network the computers.
>
> We want to add an "order printer" in the kitchen wirelessly and I'm not
> sure what to buy.
>
> The printer is a small Epson "cash register" style printer with a
> parallel interface.
>
> Is there some kind of "wireless parallel print server" unit we can buy?
> I've searched several online stores but all I can find are wireless
> routers with a print server built-in to the router itself.
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> --Dave

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

"Dave Navarro" <dave@dave.dave> wrote in message
> My parents own a small restaurant and we're using 802.11g wireless to
> network the computers.
>
> We want to add an "order printer" in the kitchen wirelessly and I'm not
> sure what to buy.
>
> The printer is a small Epson "cash register" style printer with a
> parallel interface.
>
> Is there some kind of "wireless parallel print server" unit we can buy?
> I've searched several online stores but all I can find are wireless
> routers with a print server built-in to the router itself.
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> --Dave

Linksys WPS54GU2 ... maybe ?

Jerry Park wrote:
> I run my printer (HP 6122) on a wireless print server using the parallel
> port. The device is a Linksys WPS11. This particular device only
> supports WEP encryption, but I'm sure there are other such devices, some
> of which will surely support WPA encryption.

Or something like that ? (I know it is b, but from here on I do not get
dlink's full list of product... while you should...)

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=174

Aphrael
--
"La demande mondiale d’ordinateurs n’excédera pas cinq machines."
(Thomas Watson, Fondateur d'IBM, 1945)

In article <c64a98$79uc1$1@ID-194368.news.uni-berlin.de>, me@privacy.net
says...
> What is the printer currently connected to? That would be the device to
> make wireless I would think. I do not believe I have ever seen any wireless
> products that handle parallel ports (but I'll concede that there likely is
> one of everything out there somewhere...<g>)

The printer is connected to a PC in the lounge which is already
connected wirelessly. I can't move the PC into the kitchen and we don't
want a PC in the kitchen.

--Dave

> "Dave Navarro" <dave@dave.dave> wrote in message
> > My parents own a small restaurant and we're using 802.11g wireless to
> > network the computers.
> >
> > We want to add an "order printer" in the kitchen wirelessly and I'm not
> > sure what to buy.
> >
> > The printer is a small Epson "cash register" style printer with a
> > parallel interface.
> >
> > Is there some kind of "wireless parallel print server" unit we can buy?
> > I've searched several online stores but all I can find are wireless
> > routers with a print server built-in to the router itself.
> >
> > Thanks for any help!

Thanks - that makes sense... in the meantime, I see other posters have
contributed some wireless+Parallel_Port solutions for you. I think something
in there ought to work well for you.
Good luck.