I can't download anything

Hey guys I hope you could help me. I tried downloading anything from the
internet but nothing works. I tried yahoo messenger file transfer, mail
transfers and using links but my download don't open. I used download
accelerator it works but the files tends to be corrupt. So if anyone could
help me I would greatly appreciate it.
7 answers Last reply
More about download anything

    What happens when you download? If you're using IE, try clearing the TIF
    Index and History.

    Delete the History folder and index.dat:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com

    "Raaz" <Raaz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hey guys I hope you could help me. I tried downloading anything from the
    > internet but nothing works. I tried yahoo messenger file transfer, mail
    > transfers and using links but my download don't open. I used download
    > accelerator it works but the files tends to be corrupt. So if anyone could
    > help me I would greatly appreciate it.

    Hmm...I have tried clearing TIF, History, cookies and index using cccleaner.
    Also I tried changing virtual memory...also my current temporary internet
    files max size is set around 900 I read it should be around 50. Could anyone
    clarify me on this? When I download, because I use download accelerator plus,
    it says regular or accelerated then when I click regular nothing happens
    downloading don't work then when I use DAP it works but it tends to be
    corrupt. Again thanks if anyone could help me.

    Razz,

    40MB is ideal size for TIF. (I've set mine to 15MB and no problems). See if
    uninstalling DAP helps you resolve the download problems. FYI, DAP attaches
    it's download hooks with Internet Explorer.

    --

    > Hmm...I have tried clearing TIF, History, cookies and index using
    > cccleaner.
    > Also I tried changing virtual memory...also my current temporary internet
    > files max size is set around 900 I read it should be around 50. Could
    > anyone
    > clarify me on this? When I download, because I use download accelerator
    > plus,
    > it says regular or accelerated then when I click regular nothing happens
    > downloading don't work then when I use DAP it works but it tends to be
    > corrupt. Again thanks if anyone could help me.

    I tried removing DAP and uninstalling some files then when I try to download
    the message box appears but the transfer rate and timer won't show. It won't
    start. Before when I used to use DAP it goes through but when I open files
    like zip/rar it says bad block or error extracting to file.

    Raaz,

    Are you right-clicking a file and choosing "Save as"? Or, simply clicking a
    link to the downloadable file? You may test here:

    Testing:
    -------

    Visit http://windowsxp.mvps.org/utils/ Right-click the RestrictApp download
    link and choose "Save Target as". Do you get the Save As dialog?

    --

    >I tried removing DAP and uninstalling some files then when I try to
    >download
    > the message box appears but the transfer rate and timer won't show. It
    > won't
    > start. Before when I used to use DAP it goes through but when I open files
    > like zip/rar it says bad block or error extracting to file.

    Um when I download I try right-click then Save as. Then that window appears
    but theres no transfer rate or timer. What I tried was to uninstall programs
    too. So after that the dialog box appears timer and transfer rate won't show.
    After I uninstalled uneeded programs I tried visiting some pages. About 50%
    of the time the page loads at half then it stops and when I go to some web
    pages it has this weird characters like ????sagwhyshah. I was thinking of
    getting a new copy of internet explorer. Will this work? Again I thank you
    for the all the tips. Hope you could help me again.

    >> weird characters like ????sagwhyshah

    Here is a method to repair Internet Explorer using the INF file.

    Reinstall Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP:
    http://www.petri.co.il/reinstall_ie_6_on_xp.htm

    When you're prompted for the updated system files:

    Case 1: If you've installed a Service Pack (1 or 2) after you installed
    Windows XP, mention the path as follows:

    C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386

    Case 2: If you have a Windows XP Operating System CD integrated with the
    latest Service Pack, simply point to the following path:

    X:\i386

    Where X:\ is the CD-ROM drive-letter.

    More Information:
    ------------------

    For a full IE re-install (for pre SP2 systems), see:

    How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows
    XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378

    --

    > Um when I download I try right-click then Save as. Then that window
    > appears
    > but theres no transfer rate or timer. What I tried was to uninstall
    > programs
    > too. So after that the dialog box appears timer and transfer rate won't
    > show.
    > After I uninstalled uneeded programs I tried visiting some pages. About
    > 50%
    > of the time the page loads at half then it stops and when I go to some web
    > pages it has this weird characters like ????sagwhyshah. I was thinking of
    > getting a new copy of internet explorer. Will this work? Again I thank you
    > for the all the tips. Hope you could help me again.

Download Yahoo Messenger Microsoft Windows XP