I can't download anything

June 17, 2005 2:29:54 AM

Hey guys I hope you could help me. I tried downloading anything from the
internet but nothing works. I tried yahoo messenger file transfer, mail
transfers and using links but my download don't open. I used download
accelerator it works but the files tends to be corrupt. So if anyone could
help me I would greatly appreciate it.

More about : download

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 5:19:57 PM

What happens when you download? If you're using IE, try clearing the TIF
Index and History.

Delete the History folder and index.dat:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...

"Raaz" <Raaz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey guys I hope you could help me. I tried downloading anything from the
> internet but nothing works. I tried yahoo messenger file transfer, mail
> transfers and using links but my download don't open. I used download
> accelerator it works but the files tends to be corrupt. So if anyone could
> help me I would greatly appreciate it.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 5:19:58 PM

Hmm...I have tried clearing TIF, History, cookies and index using cccleaner.
Also I tried changing virtual memory...also my current temporary internet
files max size is set around 900 I read it should be around 50. Could anyone
clarify me on this? When I download, because I use download accelerator plus,
it says regular or accelerated then when I click regular nothing happens
downloading don't work then when I use DAP it works but it tends to be
corrupt. Again thanks if anyone could help me.
June 18, 2005 12:33:59 PM

Razz,

40MB is ideal size for TIF. (I've set mine to 15MB and no problems). See if
uninstalling DAP helps you resolve the download problems. FYI, DAP attaches
it's download hooks with Internet Explorer.

--

> Hmm...I have tried clearing TIF, History, cookies and index using
> cccleaner.
> Also I tried changing virtual memory...also my current temporary internet
> files max size is set around 900 I read it should be around 50. Could
> anyone
> clarify me on this? When I download, because I use download accelerator
> plus,
> it says regular or accelerated then when I click regular nothing happens
> downloading don't work then when I use DAP it works but it tends to be
> corrupt. Again thanks if anyone could help me.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 12:34:00 PM

I tried removing DAP and uninstalling some files then when I try to download
the message box appears but the transfer rate and timer won't show. It won't
start. Before when I used to use DAP it goes through but when I open files
like zip/rar it says bad block or error extracting to file.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 9:49:44 PM

Raaz,

Are you right-clicking a file and choosing "Save as"? Or, simply clicking a
link to the downloadable file? You may test here:

Testing:
-------

Visit http://windowsxp.mvps.org/utils/ Right-click the RestrictApp download
link and choose "Save Target as". Do you get the Save As dialog?

--

>I tried removing DAP and uninstalling some files then when I try to
>download
> the message box appears but the transfer rate and timer won't show. It
> won't
> start. Before when I used to use DAP it goes through but when I open files
> like zip/rar it says bad block or error extracting to file.
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 2:16:08 AM

Um when I download I try right-click then Save as. Then that window appears
but theres no transfer rate or timer. What I tried was to uninstall programs
too. So after that the dialog box appears timer and transfer rate won't show.
After I uninstalled uneeded programs I tried visiting some pages. About 50%
of the time the page loads at half then it stops and when I go to some web
pages it has this weird characters like ????sagwhyshah. I was thinking of
getting a new copy of internet explorer. Will this work? Again I thank you
for the all the tips. Hope you could help me again.
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 3:04:01 PM

>> weird characters like ????sagwhyshah

Here is a method to repair Internet Explorer using the INF file.

Reinstall Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP:
http://www.petri.co.il/reinstall_ie_6_on_xp.htm

When you're prompted for the updated system files:

Case 1: If you've installed a Service Pack (1 or 2) after you installed
Windows XP, mention the path as follows:

C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386

Case 2: If you have a Windows XP Operating System CD integrated with the
latest Service Pack, simply point to the following path:

X:\i386

Where X:\ is the CD-ROM drive-letter.

More Information:

For a full IE re-install (for pre SP2 systems), see:

How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows
XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378

--

!