Sign in with
Your question

Need to glue fan to GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 8, 2005 4:58:30 PM

I have an old ATI Rage 4 (AGP) card with one of the small fans glued directly to the GPU. Well, the fan popped off the chip the other day, and now I'd like to re-glue it back on. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to use. Would regular Wal*Mart 5-min epoxy be adequate, or should I look at maybe getting a "sample" of some potting compound type epoxy (the gray stuff) sent to me. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW: There are no mounting holes for any other physical attachment of the fan.

Thanks

More about : glue fan gpu

June 8, 2005 5:04:05 PM

I believer Artic Ceramique will work.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
June 8, 2005 7:01:06 PM

Arctic Ceramique will not work because its bonding properties isn't strong enough. You'll need to buy Arctic Alumina Thermal Epoxy, you should be able to find them under 10 dollars. Don't use just any epoxy, because it simply doesn't conduct well enough.
Related resources
June 8, 2005 7:27:16 PM

A good trick on the cheap is to put a thin layer of Arctic Silver thermal paste on the processor, and then put small dabs of super glue on each of the 4 corners.

Apply the fan & presto! Attached forever. Works great, I've used this method a couple times now.

Just make sure you clean the old crap off of the fan & gpu before proceeding.

a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2005 9:37:24 PM

Hey what about Elmer's?

It's white like Ceramique! :evil: 

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: 
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2005 6:35:56 AM

You can use a thin coat of JB Weld, it's nearly as good as the silver-filled epoxy at transfering heat, and it's very inexpensive, avaiable at Wall Mart. I haven't tried the "quick" version, I use the original stuff. I even use it on CPU's when the clip hooks get broken off a motherboard.

Thin coat, apply pressure (use something firm but with give to push against, like a phone book on a table), twist it around a bit to get the air out, and let it set.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2005 6:36:50 AM

JB Weld works fine for me, and you don't have to order it or anything, you can buy it in any small town.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2005 7:35:38 AM

You figure if a CPU is worthless enough that replacing the board isn't an option, glueing on the heat sink doesn't seem like such a bad solution to salvaging the system.

June 9, 2005 1:18:25 PM

You know, I was wondering about JB Weld. Just bought some to fix a cast iron waterpump, and was wondering if the thermal properties were good enough to use on this project. Glad to hear someone has sucessfully used it for this purpose. I think I'll go ahead and use what is left over from the pump to fix the GPU/HS. Thanks.
!