System Information & Defrag not Working

When I try to open System Information, I get the message; 'Can't Collect
Information.' A network error occurred in connecting to Windows Management
Instrumentation. Can this be fixed or do I have to reinstall XP? Also
Defrag will not work and the Icon for Windows Update doesn't work.

Thank you;
David

David,

For the System Information problem, see if this helps:

Msinfo32.exe Generates a "Can't Collect Information" Error Message:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=323209

If all of the services are already turned ON, and the problem persists, a
WMI repair might be required:

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

"mladner" wrote:
> When I try to open System Information, I get the message;
> 'Can't Collect
> Information.' A network error occurred in connecting to
> Windows Management
> Instrumentation. Can this be fixed or do I have to reinstall
> XP? Also
> Defrag will not work and the Icon for Windows Update doesn't
> work.
>
> Thank you;
> David

Try running defrag manually. c:\windows\system32\defrag.exe or you
can always download a third party defrag program. They work a lot
better than the built-in defrag program and run in the background
while you’re doing other things.

If you want a detailed system information plus more, try Belarc
Advisor.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-System-Information-amp-Defrag-Working-ftopict546622.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1732423