Now this is a fried video card, right?

Vader

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004
Ok, so for some reason last night the fan on my GPU stopped spinning. I discovered it about 45 minutes later. Needless to say the thing was dang hot. Also, the graphics on my computer were funny. So I turned my machine off and let it sit till I got home from work today. Now, when I turn on my computer, entire columns of the picture are missing. Then when windows XP starts up, the screen is white on the left and right, with speckled black in the middle. About 30 seconds after that, the monitor goes into "power save" mode. All I can do is turn off my computer. That means my video card is fried and needs replacing right? Also, see my other thread in the TV/Video cards forum (which should probably be in this forum) about my AGP slot. I would appreciate some quick responses as I'm headed to Best Buy this weekend anyway and could buy a new video card then. Thanks, everyone.

EDIT:: Not that it probably matters much, but the video card is a Visontek Xtasy GeForce 4 Ti4200.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Vader on 06/09/05 06:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
That core sounds dead... Yeah you'll probably need a replacement. You could try reseat the card, but i doubt if that'll help. Pick up a 6800 card, best deal on AGP, you should be able to find it under 190US.

cleeve

Illustrious
Lord Vader, it's time to play the Imperial funeral march.

Your card has become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Vader

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004
Yeah, I tried taking the card out and reseating it. No luck. And thanks for the recommendation on the 6800. Is it that much better than a 6600?

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
I would get the BFG 6800 OC. It comes from the factory oc'ed, and it has dual fans for some great overclocking. Heard most of them unlock to 16 pipes. Or you could spring for a 6800 GT for a little under $300.

My System:
<A HREF="http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org" target="_new">http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org</A>

Vader

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004
Well, due to the fact that I was in a "need it now" situation, I got the best I could. It is a BFG 6200 OC. Not great, but at least now my computer is usable again.