mini-move to pci-e

beetlebz

Distinguished
May 5, 2004
Sometime next week im ordering up an A64 and mobo, with an AGP slot for my 9800pro. now, im pretty sure that my vid card is messed up (keep getting BSOD's referring to the ati2dvag.dll file) but the last format i did, I didnt have a single problem until i installed the AGP drivers for the XFX mobo. so im thinking it MIGHT be somthing with the mobo, but im still leaning towards the 9800pro being the culprit.

so im thinking, as long as im replacing my mobo, why not get one PCI-e compatible so that I can go "all in" when funds permit. I wasnt going to originally because of the cost of the high end PCI-e, until I saw the X700.

from what I can tell, its pretty much a slightly better version of the 9800pro, only in PCI-e and with 128 EXTRA mb of ram, and its only 120 bucks, which i can get now, allowing the move to PCI-e.

so tell me folks, would I kick myself for getting the X700, or is it no worse than my beloved 9800pro?

spazmire11

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
i think you would be better of geting a 6600gt they outpreform a 9800 easily and if you get a compatibal board sli quite nicly the cost about 150-200 dolars

out of my mind....ill be back in a couple of minutes

ofer987

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
Get the PCI-E mobo. It will allow you to upgrade in the future. Cuz if you go AGP mobo, you might be kicking yourself a year down the road when the kool new grpahics cards come out, and you might want them. Anyways, X700 for 120 dollars is a good deal, and its a bit better than 9800. So its worth it. BUT if you can get a GeForce 6600GT, even if it might be 50 dollars more, then get a geforce, they outperfrom the X700.

I know that adding 120 dollars to your comp purchase is a lot of money. But when you think about it, you are spending around a 1000 dollars on the comp (i assume) and you want it to be good.

Oh and SLi is nice too, if you want to add a second graphics card later on. But the SLi mobos are more expensive. So I don't recommend you get a SLI board. Besides the new graphics cards that will be available in the next 6-12 months will be a lot better, and would outperform 2xgeforce 6600GTs.

Oh and most likely the best models from the next gen graphics cards will be pci-e, thats why you should get pci-e mobo :)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ofer987 on 06/10/05 02:58 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

The GF6600GTs are a good choice but relying on SLi is not guaranteed by any means and especially with more time between purchases the compatability is less. Fegwt SLi, buy the cards for their current performance and then anything else is a bonus.

The best models of the next cards will come out with AGP versions, but they will likely be at a premium like this generation's bridged cards.

Depending on budget the GF6600GT is a good choice, but if that's a little pricey then the plain X700 would be better than the plain GF6600. I'd also look into the possibility of the plain X800 or the plain GF6800 depending on the prices he can get them for.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

cleeve

Illustrious
Go PCI-e, if you don't you'll probably regret it when the day comes.

If you can afford a vanilla X800, I'd go for that... they should be under the $200 mark online by now.

The 6600GT is almost as good... If you can't afford either, a vanilla X700 is probably your best bet like Ape says. The X700 has an undeserved bad rap, but it's really quite a good card, probably better than your 9800 PRO in most stuff.

beetlebz

Distinguished
May 5, 2004
well, i think youve convinced me. I have a total of about 400 bucks im going to drop, chip, mobo, vid card. the chip and mobo run about 200 and change, so that will hopefully leave about 180 bucks for an X800. its 100 bucks more than i was going to spend, but wth, im going to spend it somehow lol

thx folks :)