Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

command prompt appears then disappears

Tags:
  • Support
  • Command Prompt
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 11:32:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Yesterday, I opened the command prompt and it was fine.
Today, I opened the command prompt and it opens *very briefly* and then
closes. I've tried to open it many ways - from the start menu, from the
run command, from the actual program file... but it all does the same
thing. Opens for about 1 second and then closes again. :confused:


--
lakim40

More about : command prompt appears disappears

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 4:04:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

try in run line
cmd /k netstat
if window doesnt stay open
update & run your virus scanner

"lakim40" <lakim40.1qrqdo@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
news:lakim40.1qrqdo@pcbanter.net...
>
> Yesterday, I opened the command prompt and it was fine.
> Today, I opened the command prompt and it opens *very briefly* and then
> closes. I've tried to open it many ways - from the start menu, from the
> run command, from the actual program file... but it all does the same
> thing. Opens for about 1 second and then closes again. :confused:
>
>
> --
> lakim40
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 8:34:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"lakim40" wrote:

>
> Yesterday, I opened the command prompt and it was fine.
> Today, I opened the command prompt and it opens *very briefly* and then
> closes. I've tried to open it many ways - from the start menu, from the
> run command, from the actual program file... but it all does the same
> thing. Opens for about 1 second and then closes again. :confused:
>
>
> --
> lakim40
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 8:37:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Ellie: I have a silly question.. somehow the 'run prompt' has ben unclicked
(windows XP home), where do I find the place to click in on again Thanks In
Advance.. Ellie






"bumtracks" wrote:

> try in run line
> cmd /k netstat
> if window doesnt stay open
> update & run your virus scanner
>
> "lakim40" <lakim40.1qrqdo@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
> news:lakim40.1qrqdo@pcbanter.net...
> >
> > Yesterday, I opened the command prompt and it was fine.
> > Today, I opened the command prompt and it opens *very briefly* and then
> > closes. I've tried to open it many ways - from the start menu, from the
> > run command, from the actual program file... but it all does the same
> > thing. Opens for about 1 second and then closes again. :confused:
> >
> >
> > --
> > lakim40
>
>
>
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 4:49:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"ellie" <ellie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:55DDE626-B603-4EF9-9AFA-5F85F456CBCA@microsoft.com...
>
> Ellie: I have a silly question.. somehow the 'run prompt' has ben
> unclicked
> (windows XP home), where do I find the place to click in on again Thanks
> In
> Advance.. Ellie
>
right click your Start button,
select properties, customize
put a check mark at 'Display Run'
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 2:03:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

THANK YOU VERY VERY much for your "run fix", I only read your response now..
thanks again, I have my 'run' back now.. Ellie

"bumtracks" wrote:

>
> "ellie" <ellie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:55DDE626-B603-4EF9-9AFA-5F85F456CBCA@microsoft.com...
> >
> > Ellie: I have a silly question.. somehow the 'run prompt' has ben
> > unclicked
> > (windows XP home), where do I find the place to click in on again Thanks
> > In
> > Advance.. Ellie
> >
> right click your Start button,
> select properties, customize
> put a check mark at 'Display Run'
>
>
>
December 15, 2009 10:41:39 AM

Back to the first question... 4 years later but don't mind, I found this post when i got the same problem and didn't find any solution....till now :bounce: 

My computer was infected by the virus "craddle of filth", and so the command prompt window just appear and disappear!

The solution to this is just remove this key : HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun, from the registry, wich was added by the virus.

For more information about what the virus does, visit this web page "http://net-studio.org/fra/patch/patch/8-patch-pour-supp..." (sorry it's in french)
January 22, 2011 3:27:00 PM

None of these worked for me with this problem. I updated and scanned for viruses and it found nothing. I searched the registry for HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun and it didnt find it. I ran cmd /k netstat and that stayed open fine but didn't do anything to fix the command screen to stay open. Any other suggestions?
July 11, 2011 5:36:08 AM

ickspe said:
Back to the first question... 4 years later but don't mind, I found this post when i got the same problem and didn't find any solution....till now :bounce: 

My computer was infected by the virus "craddle of filth", and so the command prompt window just appear and disappear!

The solution to this is just remove this key : HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun, from the registry, wich was added by the virus.

For more information about what the virus does, visit this web page "http://net-studio.org/fra/patch/patch/8-patch-pour-supp..." (sorry it's in french)


in my comp EXIT was written in value of this key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun
just delete EXIT and Your cmd is back again
July 22, 2011 12:51:39 PM

Was just updating a game (SimCitiy Socities) with some updates being around 17mg to 174 when command opens, i see that most of the text is related to the game. should i be worried? ( the files were either .exe or winrar files)
August 27, 2011 4:10:42 AM

zaman7h said:
in my comp EXIT was written in value of this key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun
just delete EXIT and Your cmd is back again



REPLY 08/27/11

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT IN MY CASE. I JUST DELETED THIS LINE IN THE REGISTRY AND MY COMMAND PROMPT BACKS TO NORMAL AGAIN (I AM USING WINDOWS VISTA).

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun


THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

-JOHN S. DUGAOJO JR.
PHILIPPINES
johndugaojo@yahoo.com
November 3, 2011 2:23:18 PM

Quote:
in my comp EXIT was written in value of this key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun
just delete EXIT and Your cmd is back again


GREAT!!!!! CMD works again!!!!!! THANK YOU