command prompt appears then disappears

Yesterday, I opened the command prompt and it was fine.
Today, I opened the command prompt and it opens *very briefly* and then
closes. I've tried to open it many ways - from the start menu, from the
run command, from the actual program file... but it all does the same
thing. Opens for about 1 second and then closes again. :confused:

--
lakim40
11 answers Last reply

    try in run line
    cmd /k netstat
    if window doesnt stay open
    update & run your virus scanner

    "lakim40" wrote:

    > Yesterday, I opened the command prompt and it was fine.
    > Today, I opened the command prompt and it opens *very briefly* and then
    > closes. I've tried to open it many ways - from the start menu, from the
    > run command, from the actual program file... but it all does the same
    > thing. Opens for about 1 second and then closes again. :confused:
    >

    > --
    > lakim40

    Ellie: I have a silly question.. somehow the 'run prompt' has ben unclicked
    (windows XP home), where do I find the place to click in on again Thanks In
    Advance.. Ellie

    "ellie" <ellie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Ellie: I have a silly question.. somehow the 'run prompt' has ben
    > unclicked
    > (windows XP home), where do I find the place to click in on again Thanks
    > In
    > Advance.. Ellie

    right click your Start button,
    select properties, customize
    put a check mark at 'Display Run'

    THANK YOU VERY VERY much for your "run fix", I only read your response now..
    thanks again, I have my 'run' back now.. Ellie

    "bumtracks" wrote:

    > "ellie" <ellie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Ellie: I have a silly question.. somehow the 'run prompt' has ben
    > > unclicked
    > > (windows XP home), where do I find the place to click in on again Thanks
    > > In
    > > Advance.. Ellie
    > >
    > right click your Start button,
    > select properties, customize
    > put a check mark at 'Display Run'

  6. Back to the first question... 4 years later but don't mind, I found this post when i got the same problem and didn't find any solution....till now :bounce:

    My computer was infected by the virus "craddle of filth", and so the command prompt window just appear and disappear!

    The solution to this is just remove this key : HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun, from the registry, wich was added by the virus.

    For more information about what the virus does, visit this web page "http://net-studio.org/fra/patch/patch/8-patch-pour-supprimer-le-virus-cradle-of-filth-vbe.html" (sorry it's in french)
  7. None of these worked for me with this problem. I updated and scanned for viruses and it found nothing. I searched the registry for HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun and it didnt find it. I ran cmd /k netstat and that stayed open fine but didn't do anything to fix the command screen to stay open. Any other suggestions?
  8. ickspe said:
    Back to the first question... 4 years later but don't mind, I found this post when i got the same problem and didn't find any solution....till now :bounce:

    My computer was infected by the virus "craddle of filth", and so the command prompt window just appear and disappear!

    The solution to this is just remove this key : HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun, from the registry, wich was added by the virus.

    For more information about what the virus does, visit this web page "http://net-studio.org/fra/patch/patch/8-patch-pour-supprimer-le-virus-cradle-of-filth-vbe.html" (sorry it's in french)

    in my comp EXIT was written in value of this key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun
    just delete EXIT and Your cmd is back again
  9. Was just updating a game (SimCitiy Socities) with some updates being around 17mg to 174 when command opens, i see that most of the text is related to the game. should i be worried? ( the files were either .exe or winrar files)
  10. zaman7h said:
    in my comp EXIT was written in value of this key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun
    just delete EXIT and Your cmd is back again

    REPLY 08/27/11

    THIS IS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT IN MY CASE. I JUST DELETED THIS LINE IN THE REGISTRY AND MY COMMAND PROMPT BACKS TO NORMAL AGAIN (I AM USING WINDOWS VISTA).

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun

    THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

    -JOHN S. DUGAOJO JR.
    PHILIPPINES
    johndugaojo@yahoo.com
  11. Quote:
    in my comp EXIT was written in value of this key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun
    just delete EXIT and Your cmd is back again

    GREAT!!!!! CMD works again!!!!!! THANK YOU

Support Command Prompt Microsoft Windows XP