Removing SP2 - what happens to my apps?

Hi, i'm a bit of a Noob so please forgive my ignorance.

I have a genuine copy of XP home with SP2 installed and all of my apps
etc were installed AFTER the sp2 install. However, i wish to upgrade to
XP professional as i have an education dept disk from work, but
unfortunately that copy is older than sp2 and so it won't install over
the top as an upgrade. I get an error stating that the copy of xp on
the computer is newer than on the cd.

Therefore i was am thinking of unistalling sp2, upgrading to xp pro,
then reinstalling sp2 afterwards.

My questions are:
1) If i uninstall sp2 will i lose all my apps seeing as though they
were installed AFTER the sp2 upgrade?

2) Is this going to work or should i not bother?

Thanks
John

2)

--