DNS Error - I don't know what to do

Hi everybody.
This is my problem: A friend of mine got XP Pro installed, yesterday,
he try to install an FTP Client to upload some webpages (I don't know
what FTP Client he try to install), after that, he can't access the
web. An "DNS error" message occur when trying to access to any page.
He got a direct connection to internet (broadband) with an IP address,
default gateway and DNS #1 and #2 fixed and provided by his ISP
He call me and I go to his home
OK, I run AVG Antivirus, no virus found.
The MS Antispyware don't detect anything.
The Spybot S&D don't detect anything.
The ADAWARE don't detect anything.
I cameback whit the PC to my office and connect this one to my LAN.
I reconfigure TCP/IP settings with my local settings and the problem
remains.
If I try to connect to another PC on my network usin Start->Run->
\\hostname, everything go fine
If I open an MS-DOS terminal, and ping to 192.168.76.xx, no problem,
but if I try to ping to hostname, I got an error because host name
resolution can't resolve the name.
If I try to do a ping from my PC to the problematic PC, everything is
going fine.
I look accross the web and find a lot of data of how to discover this
kind of problem and how to fix it. I do everything (disable services,
delete the file host, delete and reconfigure all NIC, etc), but the
problem remains.
Have anybody any idea to solve this situation?
Thanks in advance.
(Sorry, my english is to poor)
Thanks
tequesta

--
tequesta

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

1. Try going back with System Restore to just before he installed the FTP
program.
2. If that fails, try netsh winsock reset catalog (SP2 syntax)
netsh int ip reset c:\TCP-ResetLog.txt pre SP2 syntax
3. LSP-fix- http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
WinSock XP Fix http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html