Help! I deleted my own user account

Stupidly, I have deleted my own user account on my laptop. (Somebody
helping me connect to my office network for some reason set up several
superfluous 'user accounts' in control panel; in deleting them i
accidentally deleted my own.) I am currently using the computer under
another Administrator account, when I look in "Documents and Settings"
I can see that my documents are still there. But I can't get to all my
photos that were in picasa, or any of my firefox settings, etc etc

*How can I restore my own user account?* Is it possible at all???? I
just want to put it back to how it was an hour ago!! *And if not, how
do I get all of the files I see in the 'Documents and Settings' folder
into a new account?* (And while its not a 'windows xp' question, if
anyone knows how to recover my Firefox settings, should i not be able
to recover my user account, that would be very helpful as well.)

Thank you!

--
deanna
4 answers Last reply

    You can't readily restore the removed account but you should be able to copy
    files to a new account. You don't explain what you mean by you can't get to
    things. If there's an access denied issue see
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

    Firefox configuration and bookmarks are stored in
    "X:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\iustlxnt.default\"
    It should work to copy the content of that folder to another user account.
    --

    "deanna" <deanna.1qrqdq@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Stupidly, I have deleted my own user account on my laptop. (Somebody
    > helping me connect to my office network for some reason set up several
    > superfluous 'user accounts' in control panel; in deleting them i
    > accidentally deleted my own.) I am currently using the computer under
    > another Administrator account, when I look in "Documents and Settings"
    > I can see that my documents are still there. But I can't get to all my
    > photos that were in picasa, or any of my firefox settings, etc etc
    >
    > *How can I restore my own user account?* Is it possible at all???? I
    > just want to put it back to how it was an hour ago!! *And if not, how
    > do I get all of the files I see in the 'Documents and Settings' folder
    > into a new account?* (And while its not a 'windows xp' question, if
    > anyone knows how to recover my Firefox settings, should i not be able
    > to recover my user account, that would be very helpful as well.)
    >
    > Thank you!
    >

    > --
    > deanna

    Addendum - See also How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new
    profile

    "deanna" <deanna.1qrqdq@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Stupidly, I have deleted my own user account on my laptop. (Somebody
    > helping me connect to my office network for some reason set up several
    > superfluous 'user accounts' in control panel; in deleting them i
    > accidentally deleted my own.) I am currently using the computer under
    > another Administrator account, when I look in "Documents and Settings"
    > I can see that my documents are still there. But I can't get to all my
    > photos that were in picasa, or any of my firefox settings, etc etc
    >
    > *How can I restore my own user account?* Is it possible at all???? I
    > just want to put it back to how it was an hour ago!! *And if not, how
    > do I get all of the files I see in the 'Documents and Settings' folder
    > into a new account?* (And while its not a 'windows xp' question, if
    > anyone knows how to recover my Firefox settings, should i not be able
    > to recover my user account, that would be very helpful as well.)
    >
    > Thank you!
    >

    > --
    > deanna

    You can't readily restore the removed account but you should be able to copy
    files to a new account. You don't explain what you mean by you can't get to
    things. If there's an access denied issue see
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

    Firefox configuration and bookmarks are stored in
    "X:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\iustlxnt.default\"
    It should work to copy the content of that folder to another user account.
    --

    "deanna" <deanna.1qrqdq@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Stupidly, I have deleted my own user account on my laptop. (Somebody
    > helping me connect to my office network for some reason set up several
    > superfluous 'user accounts' in control panel; in deleting them i
    > accidentally deleted my own.) I am currently using the computer under
    > another Administrator account, when I look in "Documents and Settings"
    > I can see that my documents are still there. But I can't get to all my
    > photos that were in picasa, or any of my firefox settings, etc etc
    >
    > *How can I restore my own user account?* Is it possible at all???? I
    > just want to put it back to how it was an hour ago!! *And if not, how
    > do I get all of the files I see in the 'Documents and Settings' folder
    > into a new account?* (And while its not a 'windows xp' question, if
    > anyone knows how to recover my Firefox settings, should i not be able
    > to recover my user account, that would be very helpful as well.)
    >
    > Thank you!
    >

    > --
    > deanna

    >> How do I get all of the files I see in the 'Documents and Settings'
    >> folder into a new account?*

    Recovering Deleted Files:
    http://aumha.org/a/recover.php

    <quote>
    So the first rule is: STOP USING THAT COMPUTER IMMEDIATELY! THIS MINUTE!
    RIGHT NOW! Use another computer to get the recovery tool you will need.

    </quote>

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com

    "deanna" <deanna.1qrqdq@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Stupidly, I have deleted my own user account on my laptop. (Somebody
    > helping me connect to my office network for some reason set up several
    > superfluous 'user accounts' in control panel; in deleting them i
    > accidentally deleted my own.) I am currently using the computer under
    > another Administrator account, when I look in "Documents and Settings"
    > I can see that my documents are still there. But I can't get to all my
    > photos that were in picasa, or any of my firefox settings, etc etc
    >
    > *How can I restore my own user account?* Is it possible at all???? I
    > just want to put it back to how it was an hour ago!! *And if not, how
    > do I get all of the files I see in the 'Documents and Settings' folder
    > into a new account?* (And while its not a 'windows xp' question, if
    > anyone knows how to recover my Firefox settings, should i not be able
    > to recover my user account, that would be very helpful as well.)
    >
    > Thank you!
    >

    > --
    > deanna

Windows XP