Cannot rename, delete or move ANY folders

Using XP SP2 and I can not move, rename or delete any folders.

For example - I create a New Folder and try to rename it - it stays as New
Folder.
I try to move ANY folder and it does not move - stays where it is. Even when
copying contents of a USB stick - folders will not move, be renamed or
deleted.

I CAN however, move files and rename and delete files - just not ANY folder!

I can delete the folders from the command prompt though.

What the hell is going on???

Thanks in advance
7 answers Last reply
More about cannot rename delete move folders

    Just as a follow up before someone asks - I get no error messages at all. The
    folders just do not move or get renamed. When I try to delete the message
    "Are you sure you wish to delete etc etc" comes up but when I click yes the
    folder is still in its original place and not in the recycle bin.

    A beer to the person who solves this for me!

    "Simon" wrote:

    > Using XP SP2 and I can not move, rename or delete any folders.
    >
    > For example - I create a New Folder and try to rename it - it stays as New
    > Folder.
    > I try to move ANY folder and it does not move - stays where it is. Even when
    > copying contents of a USB stick - folders will not move, be renamed or
    > deleted.
    >
    > I CAN however, move files and rename and delete files - just not ANY folder!
    >
    > I can delete the folders from the command prompt though.
    >
    > What the hell is going on???
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    I have had a similar problem with folders full of multimedia content, though
    in my case it only happens once in a while, maybe 3% of the time. On those
    occasions, if I try to move, rename or delete the folder I get a message
    saying it is possibly being used by another program. The dialogue box claim
    that the folder is being used by another program is mysterious when no such
    progs are running, and only after waiting a few days can I delete the
    folders in question. I can always delete them eventually.

    When this does happen, I can copy and paste the folder to another location,
    or delete, drag&drop or modify the contents of the folder, but I can not
    delete, move or rename the folder itself.
    I do a lot of work with multimedia files and this problem only happens
    occasionally when I burn stuff to CD to free up disc space, or when I am
    re-organizing, sorting or combining folders.

    Some folders are used by the system and can't be renamed or moved.. perhaps
    you would like to be more specific..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    "Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Just as a follow up before someone asks - I get no error messages at all.
    > The
    > folders just do not move or get renamed. When I try to delete the message
    > "Are you sure you wish to delete etc etc" comes up but when I click yes
    > the
    > folder is still in its original place and not in the recycle bin.
    >
    > A beer to the person who solves this for me!
    >

    > "Simon" wrote:
    >
    >> Using XP SP2 and I can not move, rename or delete any folders.
    >>
    >> For example - I create a New Folder and try to rename it - it stays as
    >> New
    >> Folder.
    >> I try to move ANY folder and it does not move - stays where it is. Even
    >> when
    >> copying contents of a USB stick - folders will not move, be renamed or
    >> deleted.
    >>
    >> I CAN however, move files and rename and delete files - just not ANY
    >> folder!
    >>
    >> I can delete the folders from the command prompt though.
    >>
    >> What the hell is going on???
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance

    Get power desk that's better than windows explorer,you can move any
    file anywhere you want to even change the size of the folder.If you
    want it I'll send it to you.
    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:26:50 -0400, "mike" <n@net> wrote:

    >I have had a similar problem with folders full of multimedia content, though
    >in my case it only happens once in a while, maybe 3% of the time. On those
    >occasions, if I try to move, rename or delete the folder I get a message
    >saying it is possibly being used by another program. The dialogue box claim
    >that the folder is being used by another program is mysterious when no such
    >progs are running, and only after waiting a few days can I delete the
    >folders in question. I can always delete them eventually.
    >
    >When this does happen, I can copy and paste the folder to another location,
    >or delete, drag&drop or modify the contents of the folder, but I can not
    >delete, move or rename the folder itself.
    >I do a lot of work with multimedia files and this problem only happens
    >occasionally when I burn stuff to CD to free up disc space, or when I am
    >re-organizing, sorting or combining folders.

    Thanks fatman, the behavior is only mildly annoying in my case and I have
    some more pressing issues at the moment.

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:u%23fBx40cFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

    > Some folders are used by the system and can't be renamed or moved.. perhaps
    > you would like to be more specific..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User

    Is there a place where I can find a list of those folders? Do they have
    any particular appearance or properties?

    Thanks,

    DM

    Hi Mike

    A specific example would be the following

    I click on the desktop and create a "New Folder"

    I the try to rename it eg "Photos"

    When I press enter the folder reverts back to "New Folder"

    If I the try and delete that folder it gives the usual "Are you sure you
    wish to delete..." message - I click yes, the file does not go to recycle bin
    but stays where it is.

    I also can not drag and drop it ANYWHERE - it stays where it is.

    A second example:

    I have a USB stick with files and folders. I drag and drop the entire
    contents onto my hard drive. The files move but not the folders.

    Additionally, I can not rename or delete any folders on the USB stick (and
    it is not locked).

    The non-moving, deleting and renaming of folders is not limited to new ones
    I create but to ones I have created months/years ago.

    I am NOT moving,deleting, renaming any system folders.

    Thanks in advance

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Some folders are used by the system and can't be renamed or moved.. perhaps
    > you would like to be more specific..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >
    > "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have kept
    > it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
    >

    > "Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Just as a follow up before someone asks - I get no error messages at all.
    > > The
    > > folders just do not move or get renamed. When I try to delete the message
    > > "Are you sure you wish to delete etc etc" comes up but when I click yes
    > > the
    > > folder is still in its original place and not in the recycle bin.
    > >
    > > A beer to the person who solves this for me!
    > >

    > > "Simon" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Using XP SP2 and I can not move, rename or delete any folders.
    > >>
    > >> For example - I create a New Folder and try to rename it - it stays as
    > >> New
    > >> Folder.
    > >> I try to move ANY folder and it does not move - stays where it is. Even
    > >> when
    > >> copying contents of a USB stick - folders will not move, be renamed or
    > >> deleted.
    > >>
    > >> I CAN however, move files and rename and delete files - just not ANY
    > >> folder!
    > >>
    > >> I can delete the folders from the command prompt though.
    > >>
    > >> What the hell is going on???
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in advance

Microsoft Windows XP