O, my poor video card

incinerator

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004
Today my Nivida 6600Gt has been laid to rest. It was a good card until this afternoon when it decided to crap out. The reason for the cards death was a power surge. My girlfriends hair dryer blew the breaker and when it powered back on it took out my video card.

At first I thought I saved the card, but later when I tested it in a 3d game it did't run. So now I have a kick ass card that can only do 2d... *grumbles*.

In all Honesty i knew something was up right away because windows didn't recognize the card which I was like, O crap O crap o crap. I took it out of the case and inspected it for damage and didn't find any with the naked eye.

SO, moral of the story if your power ever goes out make sure you computer is off so it wont take a hit or better yet have a big surge protector. At home i have a huge server one that protects it but at school... it got shafted.

Now I need another video card and I'M thinking of getting a 6800 and unlocking the pipes and go from there. Sad part is I only had the card for 3 months. It's really a shame... O well that gives me a good reason to buy a bigger and better card:).

<b><font color=red>][</font color=red><font color=orange>n</font color=orange><font color=purple>C</font color=purple><font color=red>i</font color=red><font color=orange>N</font color=orange><font color=purple>e</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=orange>a</font color=orange><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=red>o</font color=red><font color=orange>R</font color=orange></b> :cool:

incinerator

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004
Hmmm not 100% sure if Its still under warranty or not yet. I have to check, though I did buy it on new Egg and I know they are really nice about that stuff. I would have to look there policies to see if they would accept it but they wouldn't ever know what happened so I guess I should try anyways. Yeah those blow dyers use 800+ watts which is enormous. Kind of reminds me of Pentium D processor’s *laughs*

I have one week left of school them I’m back home to a nice and safe power system. I can run all of my components for 40+ minutes when the power is out :) Just check out neweggs policy and it seems I have one year to send it back for a replacement from purchase date. So I’ll give that a try, hopefully they accept it and I’ll have another sent my direction.

<b><font color=red>][</font color=red><font color=orange>n</font color=orange><font color=purple>C</font color=purple><font color=red>i</font color=red><font color=orange>N</font color=orange><font color=purple>e</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=orange>a</font color=orange><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=red>o</font color=red><font color=orange>R</font color=orange></b> :cool:

incinerator

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004
Not a bad Idea. The only thing is though Im going to wait on the new video card when I upgrade my computer later this summer(by upgrade i mean new). Currently I have AGP so I'll wait on getting a kick ass card. Plus in a few days the 7800 comes out and in theory will drive down the prices of the other cards within a month or two. So when mid summer arrives it should be a good time to buy.

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
Get a UPS, and forget about power surges and outages.

My System:
<A HREF="http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org" target="_new">http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org</A>

TRENDING THREADS